StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 07 Vee last fall and today decided to remove the tank, check the air filter, and do a TBS. When I removed the air filter, it was quite clear something was wrong. The "pleats" were wedged apart where they had been resting on the rear cylinder velocity stack inside the airbox. In other words, the screen side of the filter had been installed face up and the pleats extended downward into the airbox. The filter pleats had to spread apart since they were forced up against the rear velocity stack. I also noticed the word "UP" on the filter plate was indeed facing down into the airbox. Not sure if the first owner installed it this way, or it came from the factory like that.

I'm quite anxious to see how a properly oriented air filter will improve my performance. Having the filter material up against the air inlet had to be de-tuning the intended airflow I would think. Unfortunately, I can't use the same air filter since the dirty side would have to go inside the airbox. So I'll have to wait to find out :mod_sad:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Interesting; I think mine is mounted that way too.
I also seem to remember thinking that was the correct way to install it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Be sure to re-use your old gasket unless the new filter comes with a new gasket. Poor gasket seal is the most common cause of dirt leaking past these air filter elements.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
These are the bottoms on two styles of filter. The newer type on the right comes with a gasket.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hmmm, I just got a new one for my '02 Vee, and it didn't come with a gasket. Of course, I ordered it with a part number, so maybe it was the old part number.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hmmm, I just got a new one for my '02 Vee, and it didn't come with a gasket. Of course, I ordered it with a part number, so maybe it was the old part number.
Or maybe the gasket is another part number.

·
Registered
705 Posts
So, do the pleats belong on top or on the bottom?
Unless mine came from the factory upside down, the pleats go on the top. I've vacuumed flies out of the pleats.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
These are the bottoms on two styles of filter. The newer type on the right comes with a gasket.

The last one I purchased in Australia was the right hand style and it did not come with the gasket. Always save the gasket from the old filter in case you need to reuse it.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Ah, mine came from the factory with the pleats down; maybe that's related to my insane fuel consumption...
I'll flip it around, and see.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Ah, mine came from the factory with the pleats down; maybe that's related to my insane fuel consumption...
I'll flip it around, and see.
Replace it. Any crud trapped by the filter could get sucked out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, installed a new filter and took a test ride. I can absolutely state that having the filter installed right-side-up makes a significant difference in performance. The difference is mostly noticeable at higher rpm. Before the change, the Vee's power would fall off rather drastically at about 6K rpm. When I first got the bike I was a little disappointed that the usable power band seemed pretty narrow - about 3K to 6K. I learned to short shift and figured that was the character of the big V-strom. I'M SO GLAD I DISCOVERED THE FILTER WAS UPSIDE DOWN! I was shocked to see the tachometer reading 9K when I glanced down while accelerating hard. The motor can now wind out! Clearly having the air filter partially stuffed into the velocity stack upset the intended flow dynamics at higher rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts