StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the "tube" on one of my forks and according to the manual I should use a "special tool" to disassemble it. Have a couple quick questions.

Isn't this the same procedure for replacing the emulator?

What have you guys used in lieu of a special tool?

Thanks,
-GW

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The only special tool you need is a long 6mm Allen wrench to loosen the bolt that holds the damper rod in the DL650 if you're gonna completely disassemble the thing. To get the two tubes of the forks apart, just remove the dust cap, and take the retainer that holds the oil seal out.

Some folks have trouble getting that 6mm bolt out of the bottom of the fork and resort to an impact wrench.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do you mean to undo the bolt that screws into the damper rod? If so try to undo it before taking the spring out ie while it still has pressure on it.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I'm replacing the "tube" on one of my forks and according to the manual I should use a "special tool" to disassemble it. Have a couple quick questions.

Isn't this the same procedure for replacing the emulator?

What have you guys used in lieu of a special tool?

Thanks,
-GW
I did post a tutorial on how to get the tubes apart, (to replace the seals,etc). The pictures are no longer there, but the text still is.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/36808-dl650-fork-tube-seal-replacement-tutorial-pics.html

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts