Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd caution anyone considering the Nelsen-Rigg Adventure Dry saddle bags and tail pack. I bought both and used them for 3 overnight trips and already three plastic clips have failed (2 on the tail pack and one on the saddle bags). For the record I wasn't over-packing or carrying bricks! Who knows what prolonged use would bring? I was disappointed because this is a clever design undermined by cheap plastic clips. Perhaps I got a 'bad batch', however, it seems to me that for another few bucks invested in steel or aluminum clips this product would be dynamite. Anyway, I can either return them to the retailer and await 4-8 weeks for a warranty assessment or pay the international shipping to return them to Nelsen Rigg to expedite the process - not exactly the 'hassle free lifetime warranty' they mention on the website. :thumbdown:

Either way, I don't have a luggage system for awhile. Is anyone aware of a similar system with more robust clips??

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I would go to the retailer and ask them if there is anything they can do to expedite a claim. A lot of these guys get equipment through larger companies that have reps. If he's a good retailer and you have any relationship with them its likely they will try to help.

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
I wonder if it might be an idea to just replace the plastic clips with aluminum ones yourself if you like the bags, although i would be more inclined to return them or start with a new bag set.

I used the Adventure dry bag on my rear seat and had no issues other than the one morning i woke up to 31 deg and a frozen bag (ice on it), the roll up top was nearly impossible to close.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just thought I'd caution anyone considering the Nelsen-Rigg Adventure Dry saddle bags and tail pack. I bought both and used them for 3 overnight trips and already three plastic clips have failed (2 on the tail pack and one on the saddle bags).

Anyway, I can either return them to the retailer and await 4-8 weeks for a warranty assessment or pay the international shipping to return them to Nelsen Rigg to expedite the process - not exactly the 'hassle free lifetime warranty' they mention on the website. :thumbdown:
Have you contacted them directly and asked what can be done to expedite the warranty claim process? If they are selling the product internationally (there appears to be 2 dozen dealers in Canada per their website) and reaping the benefits of that increased buying audience, they should take extra steps, at their expense, to ensure the replacement process is as hassle free as it would be if you were here in the US. Whether it's through the Canadian distributor/importer or through their headquarters in California.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Also..

Are you aware that Nelson Rigg is a supporting (aka, paying) sponsor on this site? You might want to post in their area, besides calling/emailing them directly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just thought I'd caution anyone considering the Nelsen-Rigg Adventure Dry saddle bags and tail pack. I bought both and used them for 3 overnight trips and already three plastic clips have failed (2 on the tail pack and one on the saddle bags). For the record I wasn't over-packing or carrying bricks! Who knows what prolonged use would bring? I was disappointed because this is a clever design undermined by cheap plastic clips. Perhaps I got a 'bad batch', however, it seems to me that for another few bucks invested in steel or aluminum clips this product would be dynamite. Anyway, I can either return them to the retailer and await 4-8 weeks for a warranty assessment or pay the international shipping to return them to Nelsen Rigg to expedite the process - not exactly the 'hassle free lifetime warranty' they mention on the website. :thumbdown:

Either way, I don't have a luggage system for awhile. Is anyone aware of a similar system with more robust clips??
Hey Paul,

That blows, I've had the same thing happen with numerous other products, teknic being one of them. If you wanted anything else from them, I had teknic give me a 40% discount on anything else I wanted from them, so I got a new jacket. Maybe Nelson would be open to this also?

Side note, 3 day trip coming up July 25th into PA, interested?

Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been in touch with Nelsen-Rigg and all they are offering is to deal with it quickly if I pay to return the product to the US. At this point I'll send them back to Canada's Motorcycle and see what happens. In the meantime, I'll see if regular luggage can be strapped onto the Wee! LOL!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought of that, but there is too much heavy-duty sewing involved....I don't feel I should have to venture down that road.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I've got these bags, and although I haven't used them a lot, I thought they were great. I'll have to look at the clips again to see if they seem flimsy.

If you need your bags for your trip, maybe you could use Rok straps to secure things, and then just return the bags after you're trip.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't like buying something that fails easily, either. :furious: But I would take the easy way & repair the buckles, if that's all it is. In the long run it's less drama.
Of course YMMV.
Thanks for the report, as I've been considering this bag.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Can you be more specific about which clips failed? I have their tail bag and am heading on a long trip in Sept. and don't want to be caught surprised. The only plastic clips I find on the tail bag are the ones for the roll top and the straps across the bag. The four tie down points on my are metal buckles.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,728 Posts
I am an Ortlieb dry bag guy myself, they walk the walk and talk the talk. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
As mentioned on your same post on another page on this great forum, we are sorry that you are having issues with the clips on both your saddlebags and duffle bag. This is defiantly not a common occurrence especially when you claim multiple buckles have broken on each bag in such a short use. We understand that you don’t agree with our warranty process which would get your bags fixed or replaced and after speaking with Canada's Motorcycle it seems you also don't agree with theirs either. We already emailed a couple of days ago so we can get this handled ASAP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The clips that split on the tail bag are the two female clips at the top of the bag that roll down. The clip that failed on the saddlebag is on one of the compression straps.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was looking at those bags for my wee. They look really good and decent price. Hats off to Nelson Rigg for chiming in on this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As mentioned on your same post on another page on this great forum, we are sorry that you are having issues with the clips on both your saddlebags and duffle bag. This is defiantly not a common occurrence especially when you claim multiple buckles have broken on each bag in such a short use. We understand that you don’t agree with our warranty process which would get your bags fixed or replaced and after speaking with Canada's Motorcycle it seems you also don't agree with theirs either. We already emailed a couple of days ago so we can get this handled ASAP.
It's not about disagreeing with your return policy (which is in fact articulated on your website) it's the fact that you promote that the bags include a "Lifetime 'No Hassle' warranty", which I found misleading. Anyway, that's a moot point at this stage - I'll be sending the bags back to Canada's Motorcycle in Quebec for assessment because its cheaper (and less of a 'hassle') than incurring international shipping charges to send them to you.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
VP, for the future, get a Sewing Awl and throw it in your gear bag:

They are cheap, come with heavy waxed thread, are compact and have saved my bacon a few times when backpacking. If I were pressed for time like you are, I would go pick one up and a few buckles and do the repair myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Experience.

I recently returned from a 9-day, 3,300+ mile trip through the deserts of Utah, Colorado Rockies (south to north), across windy Wyoming, and back over the Rockies in Montana with the Nelson-Rigg Adventure Dry Bags. For me, they performed very well.

I used to have a set of CL-850 bags, which I loved in dry weather but not so much in the rain. Seemed that no matter how tightly I sinched up the rain covers, including supplementing them with bungie cords, water would still find it's way under them and into my stuff. Other than that, I loved the shape, space, and secure mounting of the CL-850's. Everything about them was rugged and well-constructed.

The Adventure bags are a little smaller and have no stiffeners in them to help them maintain their shape but they attach in the same, secure manner as the 850's. The big thing is, I rode through 2 days of heavy rain and THEY KEPT MY STUFF TOTALLY DRY! I felt the plastic buckles were flimsier than the ones on my old 850's (or my Wolfman duffle) and I noticed one or two of them were on the verge of coming apart when sinched too tight (the buckles DID NOT FAIL, however).

They only actual failure I had on the bags during my trip was the breakage of one of the plastic d-ring loops on the side of the bags (a stap that holds down the top roll loops through the ring and back over the top). I simply replaced it with a cheap, keyring-type carabiner I had in my tank bag.

I think the bags would be 100% perfect with slightly more robust plastic pieces and some type of interior panels that would help them keep their shape a little. For the price, however, they're a great piece of equipment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the endorsement Bravo21 and we will review all buckles before our next production. Thank you for your support.

I recently returned from a 9-day, 3,300+ mile trip through the deserts of Utah, Colorado Rockies (south to north), across windy Wyoming, and back over the Rockies in Montana with the Nelson-Rigg Adventure Dry Bags. For me, they performed very well.

I used to have a set of CL-850 bags, which I loved in dry weather but not so much in the rain. Seemed that no matter how tightly I sinched up the rain covers, including supplementing them with bungie cords, water would still find it's way under them and into my stuff. Other than that, I loved the shape, space, and secure mounting of the CL-850's. Everything about them was rugged and well-constructed.

The Adventure bags are a little smaller and have no stiffeners in them to help them maintain their shape but they attach in the same, secure manner as the 850's. The big thing is, I rode through 2 days of heavy rain and THEY KEPT MY STUFF TOTALLY DRY! I felt the plastic buckles were flimsier than the ones on my old 850's (or my Wolfman duffle) and I noticed one or two of them were on the verge of coming apart when sinched too tight (the buckles DID NOT FAIL, however).

They only actual failure I had on the bags during my trip was the breakage of one of the plastic d-ring loops on the side of the bags (a stap that holds down the top roll loops through the ring and back over the top). I simply replaced it with a cheap, keyring-type carabiner I had in my tank bag.

I think the bags would be 100% perfect with slightly more robust plastic pieces and some type of interior panels that would help them keep their shape a little. For the price, however, they're a great piece of equipment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts