StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So recently bought a new to me 2006 DL1000, I’ve ridden all sorts of bikes over the last 25+ years, from inline 4 sport bikes/Harley’s/KLR’s one of my first sport bikes back in my early 20’s was a 1998 TL1000R, love that bike, tracked it allot, just loved the motor, so when looking for a used DL1000, I was looking forward to reuniting with that motor and V-twin power.

Picked up the bike and was well….underwhelmed, thought maybe I had clutch chudder, bike came with a PC3 so my mind immediately went to looking at mapping, like with any used bike I buy that doesn’t come with service records, I’m going to change oil/filter, inspect brake fluid and so on, plug in the PC3 to see what Map I have and it’s Cheps OMG map which mentions a K&N filter in the description, so time to dig into that and see if one is there and if it need to be cleaned and oiled. I remove the air box and when I pull it off it sounds like a rattle (uhhhohhh) the engine side is squeaky clean, so luckily the filter did it’s job the other side however…..well a picture is worth a thousand words, no nest, but there was definitely some stockpiling going on, the filter was plugged solid, cleaned it up and while in there removed plugs and cleaned them up as well. BOY O BOY, now there is the V-twin I remember, the poor bike was choking itself, the stumble I thought could be chudder is gone and it’s 100% the motor I remember. Very pleased.
Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Played around with Map's today at lunch and although highly reviewed on these forums the Cheps OMG map was not for me, had a real dead zone and felt jerky in the low rpm range, threw Jetts map on and for my bike at my elevation, this is a dynamite map, smooth everywhere, lots of power, I'm very impressed, it's the winner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Played around with Map's today at lunch and although highly reviewed on these forums the Cheps OMG map was not for me, had a real dead zone and felt jerky in the low rpm range, threw Jetts map on and for my bike at my elevation, this is a dynamite map, smooth everywhere, lots of power, I'm very impressed, it's the winner.
If you're still wanting to mess with it, I'm curious as to how this map I'm using for my SV motor might work in yours.

current load.DJM

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks, I’ll check it out, how do the SV’s internally stack up vs the DL motors? Different Cams I’d assume? Same?
the info is available online, i don't know offhand. yes cams diff. throttle bodies bigger...buncha stuff. I'm running fairly rich across the spectrum with this map (which it came with) I don't know enough about it yet to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you're planning your maintenance, include the replacement of that bit of foam in the airbox in your planning. This typically starts crumbling after about 15-20 years. It's a 10 dollar OEM part, or use anything that's spongy and oil-resistant (lawn mower air filters - the kind that needs to be oiled lightly - have been mentioned before). But as you know, removing the plastics, fuel tank and air filter lid just to get to the point where you can access it, is almost an hour of wrenching. So better to plan ahead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts