StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever disable those annoying Clutch + Sidestand interlock kill switches? I'm ever annoyed by killing my motor by selecting a gear - while the sidestand is down, and having to pull in the clutch so the starter motor will activate is something I'd enjoy not having to remember.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
2007 and newer DL650s won't idle properly if the clutch switch is jumpered. Otherwise, you can but I wonder how badly they are getting in your way. They are there to keep a rider from doing things that cause trouble so running afoul of them often may mean it would be to your advantage to change your habits. I've pushed the starter button before when I thought the bike was in neutral but wasn't and I've raised the side stand by bouncing it off the pavement. Now that I have a bike that won't allow either, I'm content to leave the safeties in place.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Anyone ever disable those annoying Clutch + Sidestand interlock kill switches? I'm ever annoyed by killing my motor by selecting a gear - while the sidestand is down, and having to pull in the clutch so the starter motor will activate is something I'd enjoy not having to remember.
It could be worse. When you pull in the clutch on my K75, the side-stand retracts. Somebody apparently thought this was a good idea.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tend to agree with Grey Wolf. Pinch the connectors on the clutch switch and tighten them up a little, they fall off too easily and the bike won't crank.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fall off too easily?!? Man, that would suck!

I think I'm gettin used to the safety interlock for the lever and the sidestand. On my old Kwack, I'd disabled the sidestand + clutch safeties, but that bike is as simple as a claw-hammer, no fancy sparky bits to consider!

Still It would be interesting to know if anyone had their foolproof safety interlocks misbehave/break...and what to do about it when out on the open seas.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I did the kickstand But WARNNING, On my hayabusa and a lot of other Suzukis it fools your ECU into thinking its in netural,,, That means you will run WAY lean at all speeds above idle, It also means your 1st through 4th gear restriction is by passed...
Mike

·
Registered
870 Posts
2007 and newer DL650s won't idle properly if the clutch switch is jumpered.
Are you sure about this GW?

When I crashed in Bolivia on my 2007 bike I had no choice but to jumper this switch and I rode the bike for the next 10,000 km until I got to BA before I decided to pull the switch apart and fix it. I never had any performance issues that I recall as a result of this.

Cheers

TS

·
38,048 Posts
There have been several reports of occasional idle problems with jumpered clutch switches. The problems went away when the switch was restored. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I too had to disconnect the side stand switch when it failed. No issues. I would like to disconnect the clutch switch as well, but the reports of idling issues have my hesitant. I may try it anyway. I'm assuming if there is a problem it will be immediately evident.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made the huge mistake yesterday of starting my newly acquired DL1000K2 by pulling in the clutch lever with the bike resting on the sidestand. I started the bike and let out the clutch only to realize that the bike was in first gear. It lurched forward, off the sidestand, and down it went onto its left side:jawdrop: Thank god for the giant engine guards I have installed. Shouldn't one of the safety devices/switches on bike have prevented this? Does the strom come stock with a neutral safety switch?

·
38,048 Posts
The side stand interlock should have killed the engine when it was put in gear with the side stand down. Either the switch was malfunctioning or the previous owner jumpered it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
In the above sequence of events, uless the earlier models are different, the bike should not have started at all surely? If the bike was in gear and sidestand down, there should have been a fault condition and no starter motor engaging?

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your bike's kickstand kill was disabled - too bad you had to find out the hard way! I did the same thing to another bike I had. I forgot it was in gear when I got done playing softball. When starting it, while it was leaning on the sidestand, the bike was ripped from my grip as I pressed the starter button, ghostriding for a few feet before toppling over in a big crunchy noise, causing me a fair bit of well deserved ribbing from everyone around me......don't let this happen to you!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Your bike's kickstand kill was disabled - too bad you had to find out the hard way! I did the same thing to another bike I had. I forgot it was in gear when I got done playing softball. When starting it, while it was leaning on the sidestand, the bike was ripped from my grip as I pressed the starter button, ghostriding for a few feet before toppling over in a big crunchy noise, causing me a fair bit of well deserved ribbing from everyone around me......don't let this happen to you!
Hang on, your the OP, and you originally asked about getting rid of these interlocks, yet you now say by doing so it caused a major drama in the past, seems like some mental confusion going on here methinks! :?

You can't have it both ways, either you are for interlocks or against them :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Turns out the PO pinched the sidestand switch cable under the clutch release cylinder. A simple snip and splice fixed the problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This thread is making me paranoid.

I've always assumed the interlocks are intact on my wee but I can't remember ever hitting them. All I remember is that I get on the bike, start, and go. It has never triggered an interlock or behaved in any but the most straightforward way.

But now, reading all this talk about bypassing, I'm starting to question whether it should be so easy.

Now I'm going to be all self conscious about it when I get on the bike to go home today.

Maybe it's that I don't use neutral? Except for maintenance, I mean.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Just try them and see. It should not start in gear with the clutch out, and it should die if you put it in gear with the sidestand down. If it will do either one of the interlocks is disabled.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I checked last night, because of this discussion, and they work. Seemed kinda silly after checking them, but the whole conversation and the fact that I had never actually noticed them was making me a bit paranoid.

So I have another question... Is there something I should be doing which, if I did it, would cause the interlocks to be annoying?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts