StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found a HOW TO on setting up a ABS disable switch??

Yes I know some think its foolish to EVER disable it.

Yes I know it probably voids some warranty.

Yes I know I don't go severe off roading that often.

Yes I know its not a a $15,000 BMW so I should be content with out such a feature.

:smile2:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
If you need a plug and play solution, look near the bottom of the following page for an adapter to use a heavy duty switch.
VStrom

If you are comfortable with wiring, do your own to extend the wiring to a switch after separating a connector on a red wire near the positive battery post.

If you are very comfortable with digging into the bike, see Proper ABS on/off switch
It is for a 2009 but the wire color is the same, the mod only needs a light duty switch and ABS can be restored without turning the ignition off first.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
old subject

this is an old old subject on many forums, and here as well.

try the search function and read up a little :)

(note, my bike, tho older, is also ABS, and I can pull either of 2 fuses to disable ABS, tho one of the fuses is evidently preferred to the other)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do need to figure out the search feature, every time i type ANYTHING, any word at all into the search keyword field or search tag field I get a message saying, "we found no results..." so I'm doing something wrong.

Im thinking I will use a ADD-A-FUSE see here
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a30ow+0DL._SX425_.jpg

and wire a 15 amp SWITCH UP TO THE HANDLEBARS, FROM the smaller ABS fuse labeled "ABS valve"
Its not an elegant solution but i don't see why it would not work.

THOUGHTS????

·
38,047 Posts
Are you using the classic software? Only use the Google custom search box.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger. Ill use the google searchbox from now on.

·
38,047 Posts
Im thinking I will use a ADD-A-FUSE see here
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a30ow+0DL._SX425_.jpg

and wire a 15 amp SWITCH UP TO THE HANDLEBARS, FROM the smaller ABS fuse labeled "ABS valve"
Its not an elegant solution but i don't see why it would not work.

THOUGHTS????
It would work but it is excessively complex. Find the red wire with a black stripe coming off the battery positive and locate the connector in it. Separate the connector and run wires from each connector half to the switch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So no the organ wire with yellow stripe from other post?

It would work but it is excessively complex. Find the red wire with a black stripe coming off the battery positive and locate the connector in it. Separate the connector and run wires from each connector half to the switch.
Oh, I thought the post from the "proper disable of the ABS" article was talking about finding the orang wire with yellow stripe coming off of the "ABS harness"
So sounds like there is an easier to get to wire you are referencing just off the battery. Which would be nice, I'd be just fine NOT pulling up the battery tray and everything else.

·
38,047 Posts
Doing the red/black wire is easier for access and for connection but requires a heavy duty switch and a recycling of the ignition switch to restore ABS. The orange yellow modification has the advantages of being able to use a light duty switch and not having to turn off the ignition to restore ABS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The ABS harness in the 2012+ 650 vstrom loos very different. looks nothing like the unit pictured here...
http://www.vstrom.info/vsri-gallery/gallery/d/82493-2/ABSHarness.jpg

It's mounted to the metallic ABS main unit with the steel brake lines coming off it. It's to the rear of that metallic unit. getting the connectors off is tricky, but doable.

·
38,047 Posts
The ABS unit itself is different. It still has an O/Y wire doing the same job but I have no instructions on finding it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
can I also add I had one of these and almost NEVER used it? I have ridden many an off-road mile and its pretty unnecessary.

·
Registered
178 Posts
sigh...... the switch.... that shut off the ABS.... but only when the bike was off... and could not be used on the fly.... and really didnt make a difference when I actually did use it... the switch that is :var_6:

·
Registered
44 Posts
2012 dl650a. Just did the fancy switch routine. Works great. Orange/yellow wire, kill switch of your choice on right handlebar. Run 2 18 gauge wires from the switch down the right side, all connections soldered, shrink wrapped, and entire 2 wire run similarly shrink wrapped and zip tied. ABS unit is on right side, below battery box. Look for the metal brake tubes in to the unit. The connector is a push down center part, flip lever sort.
Deep in the heart of the bike, but only requires patience and a bit of solder experience. ABS light on dash will be on when disengaged, as when bike is first started prior to several seconds movement. Instant off, about 2 seconds to reactivate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I almost never ride mine on dirt (although am an experienced dirt/motocross rider), but had occasion to run down a difficult track to a campsite next to a creek on my neighbors 100 acres.

Modest downhill, in between rocks of softball size, first gear but still not enough engine braking on its own, then an unfortunate slippery cow pat set off the ABS - that was it, negligable response from right hand or foot and speed starting to get away for this bike on that terrain. Had no choice but keep weight well back, lock knees and stay loose on the bars, letting it run away as the increasing speed didn't seem to let the wheels stay in contact with ground long enough to get back to normal ops, even when momentarily releasing the brakes... The front suspension worked well and soaked it up, once on more level ground things stabilised and I got more normal braking back...

I'm thinking this mod is a good idea....

ps I know what it's like to tumble down a steep incline with the DRZ400E on top of me, the thought of doing it with this thing was, for a moment, not pleasant!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found it, ran 2 18 gauge wires up to handlebar switch, works perfect, basically on the fly ability to turn ABS on and off. I have done a few trails and some gravel riding and already found the ABS, as programed on the storm, to engage VERY abruptly, VERY often. Sand, gravel and loose terrain seems to really fluster the standard programed mapping, which is obviously set up for paved surfaces.

If I only use the switch a few times I'll still consider it worth about two hours of wiring it up. Ive already dumped the bike a few times on short downhill sections (loose terrain) when ABS began firing off rapidly and I lost the front end. I like the predictability of knowing it won't lock up till I want it to, and I get that with the switch.

I took some good pics to help the other guys but its such a chore to post everything on PHOTOBUCKET and then link it to here.... WHY CANT WE JUST USE PICS/ FILES BIGGER THAN 98K ON THE FORUM ITSELF?!

·
38,047 Posts
WHY CANT WE JUST USE PICS/ FILES BIGGER THAN 98K ON THE FORUM ITSELF?!
It's not that hard and saves a ton of resources. I don't remember anyone else complaining.

·
Registered
282 Posts
@ Anselmo, can you tell us what the specs are on your switch? Eastern Beaver recommends a 25 A, SPST switch if you buy their kit.
PS thanks for always chiming in with wiring issues, you're a big help!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts