StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to take apart my saddle bag mounts and rounded off the factory hex bolt and then broke an ez out in it and had to get a machine shop to remove it. Can I use stainless with lots of anti-sieze? Also used nice stainless hex socket bolts in crash bar mounts, they look good and I used anti-seize with them also. Will I have galling problems down the road guys?
Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Galling comes from stainless on stainless with high pressure. Dissimilar metals corrosion comes from running electricity through the joint of different metals of different chemical activity levels, especially in a wet environment. Your case does not involve either. It's fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Galling comes from stainless on stainless with high pressure. Dissimilar metals corrosion comes from running electricity through the joint of different metals of different chemical activity levels, especially in a wet environment. Your case does not involve either. It's fine.
You don't need electricity flowing (ie from a battery) to produce galvanic corrosion. Galvanic corrosion occurs when each metal has different electrochemical potentials and one acts as a anode and the other as a cathode in the presents of a electrolyte (Water). The greater the potential difference, the more sever the corrosion. They just need to be touching each other with water present.

All that being said, you are still fine. If it is stainless to stainless the antiseize will prevent the gauling. If it is stainless to carbon steel, not ideal as the carbon steel will eventually rust at the interface as the corrosion potential is there, but this is used all the time. The thread wont seize (since water should not penetrate the thread) but you will see some rust on the carbon steel where the bolt or washer contacts the face of the thread. If you really want to prevent that you can use a rubber washer but that is overkill. Usually a painted surface is good enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts