StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, due to my KLR needing a rebuild, the v strom will have to suffice for all my dirt riding for a while. I have an anakee II on the front now, like new. Will a TKC 80 make a large difference in the dirt, or not so much? Never rode a tkc 80, so i thought I would ask. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i've never ridden one but the reviews are good...most people who want better tire mileage run a knobbier tire in the front, and then something like an anakee or tourance in the rear...depending on how serious you want to go, or how temporary or permanent your stint on dirt will be you could always go with the Shinko 705's, not a knobby but they are fairly aggressive dual sport...

I am planning on my next set of tires to be the Kenda Big Block, quite good reviews on them...and not to mention they are much less expensive!!

http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/85065-long-term-report-kenda-big-block.html

cameraman is doing a good report on his Big Block experience...

·
Registered
423 Posts
i've never ridden one but the reviews are good...most people who want better tire mileage run a knobbier tire in the front, and then something like an anakee or tourance in the rear.....
I always prefer a knobbier EDGE on the front in the dirt. It's not good on the road, of course, if you make hard turns. Like all things dual-sport, it's a compromise.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I value off-road performance, so I like TKC80s front and rear. On my last trip (4000 miles round trip) to Utah I ran the Heidenau K60s and they were just okay. The 60s are not nearly as good as the TKC80s, but last longer. I think for this year's long trip (6000 miles round trip) I'm going back to a TKC80 on the front and maybe a K60 on the rear. One other note: the K60s seam like they are a magnet for nails. This is probably just happenstance, but two plugs in the rear and one in the front.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I value off-road performance, so I like TKC80s front and rear. On my last trip (4000 miles round trip) to Utah I ran the Heidenau K60s and they were just okay. The 60s are not nearly as good as the TKC80s, but last longer. I think for this year's long trip (6000 miles round trip) I'm going back to a TKC80 on the front and maybe a K60 on the rear. One other note: the K60s seam like they are a magnet for nails. This is probably just happenstance, but two plugs in the rear and one in the front.
In your experience, how long do the TKC 80 fronts last. As of now, i will leave the rear as the anakee, as I ride more pavement than dirt. About 70/30 riding ill be doing with it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
In addition to the Continental TKC80 knobby, and the lower priced Kenda Big Block, there are also the Metzeler Karoo knobby, Karoo (T) Traveller knobby that is more street oriented, and the new Karoo 3 claimed good for both street and muck--due out in April, "A new concept of Adventure and Enduro On/Off tyres dedicated to off-road expeditions, featuring both off-road traction and on-road stability with an excellent mileage."

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
IMO TKC's make a MAJOR difference in the dirt. They do have shortcomings on pavement. Pulled close to 5k out of the front. As could be expected the more pavement you ride on the quicker you'll burn them up. :yesnod:

·
Registered
363 Posts
In your experience, how long do the TKC 80 fronts last. As of now, i will leave the rear as the anakee, as I ride more pavement than dirt. About 70/30 riding ill be doing with it.

I got 9k miles from the front TKC80, but I think I ran it at 30 psi. The knobs shark finned pretty bad. Next time I'm going to run 33 psi and see if that mitigates some of that shark fin wear pattern. I changed the rear TKC80 out at 4K, but it may have had another 1K until it was totally toast. It was better off-road when I took it off than the K60 was new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts