StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 07 Strom for about six months and was changing the fork seals today. Does anybody know the reason for a dinged up oil lock piece (bit of metal between body and tubes) or if it needs to be changed? Is it meant to fit into recess in the bottom of the tubes?

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'd entertain that an incomplete overhaul was once performed. The oil lock piece got left in the lower but NOT actually in position. The fork was reassembled with the damper rod getting bolted into the bottom of the lower as it should, but with the oil lock next to the rod, not on it. Ride hard and beat the crap out of that piece with the bottom of the stanchion. Otherwise, I just can't see how the circumference of the piece's bottom end could get so rounded. It sits snug in a recess in the end of the lower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd entertain that an incomplete overhaul was once performed. The oil lock piece got left in the lower but NOT actually in position. The fork was reassembled with the damper rod getting bolted into the bottom of the lower as it should, but with the oil lock next to the rod, not on it. Ride hard and beat the crap out of that piece with the bottom of the stanchion. Otherwise, I just can't see how the circumference of the piece's bottom end could get so rounded. It sits snug in a recess in the end of the lower.
Thanks, I think you've solved the mystery. With the dings it no longer fits in the recess in the bottom of the stanchion which I presume it's meant to. Should I get a new one or could I file it down?

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Wow there had to be a lot of metal shavings/files in the old oil you drained out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts