StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing a bit of over-fill oil after a new fill. Using a new spray bottle squeeze pump to do this. Great tool for the job, but there was the tiny filter tip at the end of the hose (fed down into the oil) that came off and is in ‘there’.

I drained the oil (no start). The piece was not in the strainer.

Is this little piece of plastic going to screw things up or will everything just grind it to nothing?

Appreciate the comment. help.

Thanks,
Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I would think it is a question that can not be answered.

Like what came first the chicken or the egg ?

The first time you ride the bike it could get munched between some gears and be squished enough to never be a problem and make it's way to the oil filter.

OR

The first time you ride the bike it could get stuck between some gears making gear changes impossible.

If it was my bike the first thing I would do is drop the oil again into a clean container so it can be reused then remove the clutch cover, there is a big chance you will find the bit just inside that cover, you may even be able to reuse the original gasket ??

If you can't see it select a gear & spin the rear wheel by hand always looking for the plastic bit.

A last resort would be to ride the bike around the block a few times then drop the oil again.

Your problem is the plastic is likely to float on the oil (you could test this with another spray bottle & some oil) even after being munched and if it moves and blocks a oil gallery a part on the motor could be starved of oil and that would be disaster.

I love short cuts but I think getting it out is the only real solution.

I make plastic for a living and I would take the risk of leaving it there if it was just a motor or just a manual gearbox but being a motor and manual gearbox in one makes all the difference, I would not risk it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well if it ends up blocking an internal oil port it would not be ideal. It could get ground up or it could cause a major problem, really hard to say imo. I’d probably remove the drain plug, and put your strainer over the catch pan and keeping dumping oil through the fill hole while it’s draining out and hope it comes out. Sucks when things like that happen.

If that didn’t work hard to say. Start it and pray or start taking it apart.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
I didn’t even consider the stupid little tip on the line-it looked like all one part or plastic.
(One of those blue and white genetic spray bottles from Princess Auto).

I think I’ll just keep flushing oil and check the clutch cover until I get it. No start!

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr Rolex
Really appreciate your reply.
I didn’t even consider the stupid little tip on the line-it looked like all-in-one plastic part.
(One of those blue and white genetic spray bottles from Princess Auto).

I think I’ll just keep flushing oil through and check the clutch cover until I get it. No start!

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
All the plastic I manufacture floats to some degree and 80c is the temperature at which it will soften.

The plastic is made with a oil base and oil floats on water but different plastics and different oils only a test will tell you.

I once lost oil pressure to the cam on my 750four Honda because a tiny bit of silastic from a home made gasket had broken away and plugged a oil gallery.

Not a risk I would take when removing the clutch cover is a quick and easy job.

Even if you damage the gasket if you smear some grease on it when reassembling it it will hold oil long enough for you to ride the bike and make plans to replace it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clutch cover is coming on and off with oil drains until I find this little sucker. Will also get another bottle and see if the tip is a floater/sinker. I know one thing though: it’s a little stinker .
Thanks All.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And thanks for that other thread’s link Mr Blaustrom. Very similar situation.
Cheers all.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,187 Posts
There is a screen that protects the oil pump from stuff like this. You will find, should you pull it out to clean it while the clutch cover is off, that there will be pieces of stuff stuck to it

WAY BIGGER THAN THE PIECE OF PLASTIC!

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
My bike, I would just fire it up and quit worrying. As realshelby says, there is an oil screen.

The interesting question: will the plastic still be intact when you some day check that screen, or will it have disintegrated?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4 oil dumps/recycled through open drain - no plastic flushed out. Piece floats, to answer question. Radiator drained. Removing clutch cover involves a bit more than I thought.

Got a duplicate piece of what’s in there. It’s pretty hard plastic. Hope to find it with cover off - prob the best thing to do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since it's plastic, it will be softer than any of the internals, and I wouldn't think a softer materiel would damage a harder one. Picture trying to cut an aluminum can (as thin as it is) with a plastic knife. Won't happen. I would just do a drain/fill and ride it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clutch cover won’t budge.
Everything disconnected and all 13 bolts out. One effen little piece of plastic ruins a good Canada Day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts