StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a converter for my TV's and I have little to experience with these things. My limited research finds that Channel Master and Tivax units get good reviews. Unfortunately none of the local big box stores carry these units. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with converters?

I was burned once buying electronics on line. Should I need to get one on line any suggestions for a reputable source?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I bought my convertor box from Best Buy and it's their house brand and it branded as an "Insignia". I put it in last summer and it seems to work OK.
A friend of mine bought their's from Sears, and although it 's smaller than mine, it doesn't have a TV "on-off button" so you still need to have your old TV remote for that function verus the all-in one function that the one from Best Buy.

OK, here's my rant.....The U.S. Govt. spent gazillions of dollars on this Digital conversion and sent two $40.00 discount coupons per household to those that requested them, and every digital convertor box that I've seen is made in China.........Why didn't the Govt. mandate that they be manufactured in the USA to provide American jobs???
I do not want to turn this into a political soapbox for myself or others as it will eventually get "sh!t-canned" by the mods....so let's not go there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I like the Zenith DTT901 better than the Insignia.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I like the Zenith DTT901 better than the Insignia.

I really didn't go comparison shopping when I bought mine from Best Buy because convertor boxes were scarce at the time and I incorrectly assumed that they would all function the same.

I wasn't ready to buy new digital tvs' because both of my analog units are Sonys and although I've had them for quite some time......they're almost impossible to "kill". :p

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have cable....and an hdtv. But I work at a TV station and really am starting to hate this conversion, especially once we get closer and people start panicking again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts