Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 DL 650. I would prefer if Suzuki would changeout the bar type temperature guage indicator to a digital readout. It is much easier to have a number appear on the guage without having to memorize the temperature range that the bike is operating at with each successive bar that appears on the instrument control panel. This would help with warming up the bike (knowing when it's good to go), identifying if the radiator fan is not functioning (termostat switch busted), and just knowing the bike better with a precise digital readout.

My previous bike, 2000 GSXR 600, had a digital readout that I found very useful. Not sure if Suzuki even bothers to look at this Forum or not, but I thought I would write this thread anyway.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I would find that dangerously distracting as I try to manipulate the thing with silly antics.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I would find that dangerously distracting as I try to manipulate the thing with silly antics.
Absolutely totally agree.
Having the temperature read three bars is all I need thanks.
If Suzuki went down that track imagine how forums like this would be inundated with posts from worried owners whose readout was one degree different from the norm.
Hopefully this is one case where Suzuki do not heed customer requests.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
good too go

now days with fuel injection i just start the bike and ride away , same with the car m my cars owners manual explains warming the car is not recomended . the faster you get to operateing temps the better

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Get worried at four. Something is wrong.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm too busy calculating my actual speed to worry about the engine temp.
"Let see, -5 mph puts me close to actual, plus 5 mph for my normal crusing speed. In a 35 zone that's what, 65mph?" Sheeze, lucky I still have a license

·
Registered
651 Posts
Digital readout? Hell they can't even have the bars mean the same thing between the wee and the vee.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Get worried at four. Something is wrong.
I've had momentary gusts to 4 bars many times. If the indicator stayed there, I'd be concerned, but so far it has not.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I would check the temperature of the radiator and other areas with a laser thermometer if I were you. If it's the readout in error, it's not a harmful problem. If it's the actual temperature, overheating can be a problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
+1

I rode an SV650 which had a digital temp readout... why not my Strom??

Related topic... I have read that temp gauges on newer cars are actually more like Idiot Lights... the numbers look pretty, but there are really only three spots the needle will read: Cold, Normal, and Hot... they don't want drivers going in to the dealers saying "My car is running 213 degrees, why doesn't it hold at 210 degrees like the manual says?"

Muttley

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
No doubt our idiot water temp gauge is a large step up from an idiot light, but that's not really saying much. For most people, low resolution gauges are usually adequate as indicators for normal driving, but leave alot to be desired for trouble-shooting, tuning, and modifications.

I too would prefer to have built-in hi-res water temp, oil pressure, and oil temp readouts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts