StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a digital compass like 8 years ago at Autozone for like $5, but now I can't find a digital compass ANYWHERE except these real fancy ones for like $50.

I get lost a lot and lose my bearings in back roads when I'm on the east coast (at home in the midwest- it's easy, all the roads are straight...)

anyone know where I can get a cheap digital compass for my strom? I have a GPS but I carry it in my bag- don't want to spend $100 trying to mount the thing if I can find a compass which will work fine!

thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a digital compass like 8 years ago at Autozone for like $5, but now I can't find a digital compass ANYWHERE except these real fancy ones for like $50.

I get lost a lot and lose my bearings in back roads when I'm on the east coast (at home in the midwest- it's easy, all the roads are straight...)

anyone know where I can get a cheap digital compass for my strom? I have a GPS but I carry it in my bag- don't want to spend $100 trying to mount the thing if I can find a compass which will work fine!

thanks!
I was just thinking the same thing not too long ago. Map and compass work fine for me even for most of the dirt roads I travel.

Just go check your local Target or Wal-Mart sporting goods section. They usually have simple digital compasses. That is where I have seen them most recently for much less than $50.

Thanks for reminding me I need one too. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I had a compass mounted on my Strom. Stupid thing never pointed north unless I was going in a different direction.

I've been told that marine compasses are the stuff.

I just have a cheap Garmin etrex legend mounted up on my dash shelf, works good for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a compass mounted on my Strom. Stupid thing never pointed north unless I was going in a different direction.

I've been told that marine compasses are the stuff.

I just have a cheap Garmin etrex legend mounted up on my dash shelf, works good for me.
was it magnetic?

The vibrations of a motorcycle kill magnetic floats, but I thought a digital would probably do better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I somehow got a great compass, waterproof, with trip timers, backlights, etc. for $7.99 shipped...Wayfinder VT220

I found it for 30, but it was sold out- then found an open box return for 15, and at the bottom it said "also available new for $4.99" so I clicked it and surprisingly got it for $4.99... cool eh?

Lots cheaper than a GPS!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I somehow got a great compass, waterproof, with trip timers, backlights, etc. for $7.99 shipped...Wayfinder VT220

I found it for 30, but it was sold out- then found an open box return for 15, and at the bottom it said "also available new for $4.99" so I clicked it and surprisingly got it for $4.99... cool eh?

Lots cheaper than a GPS!!!
Where'd you find it? Looks nice (googled it)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Have another cup of coffee Brian.

...I have a GPS but I carry it in my bag- don't want to spend $100 trying to mount the thing if I can find a compass which will work fine!
Get a GPS.....................
The question is, why not spend the few extra dollars to utilize a piece of technology that you've already invested in?

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Have another cup of coffee Brian.

The question is, why not spend the few extra dollars to utilize a piece of technology that you've already invested in?
Yup.....I missed that damnit!!!!!:rolleyes: Although $100 to find a suitable mount is incorrect, most can be found for under $50. I think I need to switch to expresso.;) I read pretty much every post on the site, sometimes I miss some info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts