StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had any difficulty in starting my V-Strom until I put it on a sailboat from Panama => Cartagena Colombia. The boat crew made sure that the motorcycle was well covered against the evil sea-salt filled waves... so I don't believe the bike got wet with ocean water.

As soon as it was off the boat, it wouldn't start. Specifically, I would hear the engine attempting a start, but no engine ignition. We hooked up a tow line, and it was only after putting the bike in neutral; and when the wheels were moving did it actually start. After clearing customs, it started without the rolling technique; and continued to start more easily when the engine was hot. After a couple days camping at the beach, I tried to leave this morning, and again it wouldn't start. I did the neutral rolling technique again and it started.

I know there was sufficient voltage (I have a datatel voltmeter) and it was at 12.5V to start, and didn't drop below 10V when attempting a start.

I know that there was sufficient gas, we even put an extra gallon or two of gas after unloading the bike in an attempt to get it to start.

The only other thing I think it could be would be the spark plugs, having moisture inside them or getting unseated (the boat was rocky). But I have to think that it wasn't that either, as I have the engine apart to do some maintenance right now, and there was no noticeable problems with the spark plugs that I could see.

We have the engine all apart right now; so if there's something else to check, now would be a highly convenient time to check (i.e. if I can know what we should do tomorrow - Thursday - morning).

I would like to get rid of this problem as I'm going to be hitting some *really* remote places like Bolivia where there is nothing for hundreds of miles.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Do you get a CHEC or FI at the clock position?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you get a CHEC or FI at the clock position?
Not that I could recall. I was freaking out probably a bit too much and I should have been more calm.

I do plan on replacing the spark plugs tomorrow with NGK Platinum Plus plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Possibly bad gas. Lay off the burritos.

Troubling, however, given the fuse fiasco.

Burn the tank out and refill.

How does it function when you open the throttle hard? If it struggles, you may have a fuel pump/filter problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly bad gas. Lay off the burritos.

Troubling, however, given the fuse fiasco.

Burn the tank out and refill.

How does it function when you open the throttle hard? If it struggles, you may have a fuel pump/filter problem.
Hopefully just a bad gas issue. Burning this tank out and will refill as suggested. Cold starts don't seem to be an issue after doing some maintenance recently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts