StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of posts on here about which tire is best and the opinions are all over the barnyard. So, I'm not looking to stir up a debate.

I have Trailwings on mine now and it looks like the previous owner has a newer rear than front. In fact, it's an '05 and I wouldn't be surprised if the front is original.

Anyway, I want to put a Battlewing on the front and wanted to be sure that these two, different tires were okay to run together.

thanks

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
People mix all types and brands of tires on their bikes without issue. The combination you stated sounds fine. Just make sure the tire is the correct size for the rim.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Yup the same type. I mix match them all the time. Now a Knobby/street tire mix may give you some odd sensations. I've not tried that combo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have about 35,000km on mixed bias/radial combination and had not found any issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mixed Tires

I've had good results with an Anakee 2 on the rear and a Karoo 2 on the front. No real problems with this set up so far. I've done a 600 mile trip that included 300+ miles of forest trails/roads. The Karoo is a great front in the dirt and not too bad on the street. The Anakee is my favorite tire on the DL1000, so far I'm on my 2nd Anakee. So far have just over 1500 miles on the set up and the front shows very little wear. I would recomend this combo for any mixed dirt/pavement or minor comutes. Knobbies don't bother me, as I 've had plenty of dual sports with knobbies over the years and like them. My 2 cents FWIW, air pressures are crucial for ANY dirt, mind you

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a Road 5 trail rear that is about half worn, I have a set of old style metzeler tourance to fit and the front Road 5 is well worn at 15k miles now,
would it be ok to fit the tourance front and wear down the Road 5 rear for say another 3k miles?
I know that the tyre is the only contact I have with the road and the saying that rubber is cheaper than plastic!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts