StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DL1000 K4 with about 600 miles on it.

When I start it from cold and hold my hand over the rear pipes the left pipe has hot exhaust coming out and the rear one has cold.

When it's warm and I do the same test the difference is not as noticable at first but I've found that the left still seems hotter (if I hold my hand there for 5 seconds it starts to become uncomfortable on the left side but no such problem on the right).

Is this normal? (possibly some trickery in the engine management system when idling) Or is it an indication of a problem? If so - how bad a problem?

Many Thanks!
John H.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Gunney, there is no inbalance in the exhaust system. All my V twin bikes have temperature variances as described. Don't know why, don't really care as it doesn't affect performance. I had discovered on another V twin bike that when the RPM was raised for a short period of time, the exhaust gasses were equally hot from both cylinders.

In short sum1else, nuthin wrong with your motor. Run it like you stole it and enjoy the hell out of it! Nuff said!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - either way you look at it I don't have to worry about it.

Don't worry, be :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouf, I thought I had a problem too.
I observed they same thing on mine, the left exaust is hotter
then the right one, on a cold start and idle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've also noticed I get white smoke out of the left exhaust (which indicates too lean a mixture) when the bike is cold. Once it warms up the exhaust smoke is normal on both sides.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts