StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just reentered the cycle world after about a 30 year hiatus and have purchased a 2011 Vstrom 650 after MUCH deliberation and comparison.
I want to get a shop manual for it and was wondering if anyone can advise if there are any significant differences in the '11 compared to the '09 or previous models. In other words if I locate one of the older manuals would it be of any benefit or should i hold out for the actual '11 manual.
thanks
BTW: i think this is a great site and have already learned much from it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There may be a very minor difference or two that haven't been discovered yet but a 2009 service manual would be a good tool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The new service manual for DL650 shows 2011 is identical to 2010, and 2010 has a different starter motor, and different sizes of main crank journal bearings than prior years.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I just checked the 2007 and 2011 parts fiches. The crank bearing part numbers are identical for both years. Bearings are available in different sizes to accommodate turning of a worn or scored crankshaft to a smaller size. The starter motors are entirely different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just checked the 2007 and 2011 parts fiches. The crank bearing part numbers are identical for both years. Bearings are available in different sizes to accommodate turning of a worn or scored crankshaft to a smaller size. The starter motors are entirely different.
Yes that makes sense about the bearings. The other item in the update section is a different looking exploded view of a starter motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts