StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a recent 5,000 mile pavement ride, I thought I'd head for a little gravel today in the Pike National Forest north of Pikes Peak. Mind you, I've never been on these fire roads and the Strom is still a somewhat a new thing to me.

My intention was to do a couple of improved gravel roads that are actually on a basic map. But as I am cresting a hill, there is this huge forest service map; taking a break there, I realize I missed a turn so I decide to head cross country to "my" road. Wow, these other "roads" quickly turn into steep, windy, "jeep trails", more suited to quads and real dirt bikes, so I think. But still I'm thinkin', it's kind of fun even if a little over my head. I remind myself just to keep the wheels rolling, but slowly. Even did my first water crossing. So finally, I make it out to the "good" road which is flat and wider.

In short order, I am finally in 2nd gear again and next thing I know, the front tire catches a rut I didn't see, the front gets sucked under, and I am doing a high side at around 20 mph I guess. Ouch! Kinda sucks because I thought I was literally and figuratively out of the woods. I realized today you don't have to be going super fast to feel the pain. I was lucky that I'll probably only have a bruise on my back where no padding was. Nothing else on me.

The bike must have bit it pretty good; didn't get a knee down but managed to put the front fender in the dirt a little, along with the mirror, bar/handguard (until I bent the bar end back with my hand, I had cruise control for a while), side plastic, turn signal, plastic trim near the headlight, the windshield and the Seahorse case. All the above are damaged to some degree. Not sure yet if I'll do the insurance claim or fix as much as I want to pay for myself. But at least the Stromtrooper and ADV stickers came out fine and made me look like I knew what I was doing. For a few moments!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it almost has as many scars as I do...
Cool; I see you play hockey, so your bike is slowly catching up to you!:biggrinjester:

I bought mine with a few pre-installed scars, so I am not too worried about it either. I guess it comes with the territory as the previous owner warned me. One thing that will change though; shorter windshield so I can better see what's coming.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
You leave the pavement you up the ante. All and all sounds like you came out pretty well for a 20 mph get off. Rock guard and crash bars have been worth the investment for me. Glad it wasn't worse. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts