StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the freeway yesterday I was hit by a piece of road debris. I heard a clank and then saw the oil pressure light come on and then looked down to see oil spraying out onto my foot.

I pulled off the freeway as quickly and safely as I could but the engine ran for 2-3 min after it began spraying oil. I was right next to an exit so I pulled off and pulled into a parking lot.

My question is how much damage did I do to the engine by running it for a few minutes while trying to get to a safe place to stop?

The damaged part is about $300, and I've got it on order. But, if my engine will need to be overhauled or replaced I guess I should file a claim with my insurance company.

It is a 2012 with 1500 miles on it. I'm glad to be OK, but just sick about it.

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There's no way to answer that question from afar. Check with your insurance company about what they want to do about it. They need to be notified anyway for your own protection if there is permanent damage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You should be fine. The engine parts will still have a coating of oil on them, so 2 - 3 minutes will not tear anything up. Replace parts, refill, run for a short time (3 minutes), drain. Seive the drained oil through a white piece of cloth and check it. A small amount of shavings will be normal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
First, glad you are OK. It could have been much uglier and everything on those wheels is replaceable except you!

Did you get any indication of how much oil was left in the bike after you stopped it?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Immediate action should have been taken to shut the engine down by pulling the clutch and hitting the kill switch under your right thumb--IF it didn't put you in jeopardy.

It's hard to say the damage that may have been done to wear components on a new machine with little to no oil flow. By the looks of the oil cooler you must have had a hell of a stream coming out of there.
Was the bike still spraying oil when you shut it down?
OR
Had it quit spraying oil for the full 2-3 minutes?

I would guess that if it was still spraying oil that you are okay to replace parts and ride on.
If oil was no longer coming out of the mashed piece (and hadn't been for 2-3 minutes) then there is going to be some accelerated wear. How much?-hard to say...
Most critical area? - hard to say...

You may want to invest in some sort of skid plate, to protect that vulnerable area in the future. Likely even the Hyde racing plastic pan would have helped--may have been damaged, but likely deflected the rogue object.

Makes me glad that I put the skid plate on my bike!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about this and glad you are ok. I would have a mechanic look at it. I am not an engine guy by any stretch of the imagination. This has really lit a fire under me to get a skid plate. I am currently running without one.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
2-3 minutes with no oil pressure on the main bearings and cam pillow blocks can cause damage. As soon as that red light comes on, oil pressure is next to nothing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That sucks, but glad you are ok. IMO I would notify insurance to be safe. Especially on a 2012 with low miles. Also, I think that if engineers design a bike with the darn oil filter exposed like that (V-Strom and my Triumph Scrambler also), then I think it should come with a factory skid plate no question. Which neither bike did. Prob a subject for a diff thread, so sorry to go off topic. Anyhow, call insurance just in case.
Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Recently there was a thread on this forum concerning the need, or lack thereof, of a skidplate for a bike used on-pavement only. Opinions varied.

This episode would seem to provide the definitive answer to that question!!

Glad you are ok and hope there is no significant damage to your motor.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, I think that if engineers design a bike with the darn oil filter exposed like that (V-Strom and my Triumph Scrambler also), then I think it should come with a factory skid plate no question. Which neither bike did. ..
Agreed. Now I'm having to shell out for a skid plate, AND crash bars to mount them to. If you can get this kind of damage on the street, how can they say this is a dual-sport? Yeesssshh!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lost oil pressure in my old car, maybe 60 seconds, and the engine was toast. Cars average what 2000 rpm at typical driving speeds? How many rpm were you turning, 4-6k probably? I'd file claim as I'd be uncomfortable with the engine reliability on my brand new bike. I'd also buy a skidplate. With the filter, and on the older models, the oil cooler right up front, I owned the skidplate before I took possession of the bike....

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It happened to me, and I rode 35 miles at 80-85mph before I discovered the leak - punctured oil filter. My oil light did not come on. I had a pint left by the time I got home.

Traded the bike a few weeks later, although there was no obvious damage, and that wasn't the reason for the trade.

Diff with you is that your oil light came on. How much oil was left in your bike?

Pix of the damage to my filter here:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/797690-post26.html

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just brought this thread to the attention of my wife as she had thought my buying a skidplate from Yann was a waste of my money. She promptly changed her mind on the matter. Even admitted that I was right about getting it. Wow, I finally won an argument with my wife!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Holy Crap! :yikes:

Glad you are OK. Like others say that could have been much worse. Had it sprayed down instead of on your boot makes me shudder......

I agree with everyone regarding the skid plate. There is just no way to make sure this won't happen. Murphy is always hanging around somewhere and putting the filter out in the open is just begging him to come visit.

I am DEFINITELY going to get a skid plate now.

Later,
Ray

·
Registered
618 Posts
Makes me feel good about my investment for a skid plate... I put mine one the bike before it had 200mi on it... I have heard a few rocks (on the street) hit it while riding. That tell tail "ding" lets me know it was a good decision everytime I hear it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
+1 On the engine being toast. If the engine ran for 20 seconds with the light on it is done. The cam runs on the aluminum of the head and just a few moments of oil loss and they are done. The shop should know in about 30 minutes if this is the case. Lift a valve cover and take a look. I am glad the oil didn't put you down.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app, while drinking a latte, eating a burger, driving through a school zone 20 mph over the speed limit with my feet on the wheel!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts