StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2012 Vstrom. It shifts backwards. Am I missing something. first gear is up and 2-6 is down.. I had the lowering control kit installed before I even picked up the bike. Is it even possible that this could have changed the shifting. Any ideas.

If everyones 2012 shifts normally I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and have them check it out with suzuki.

This is the first 2012 the dealer has sold and they thought it was a little strange but everything works perfectly -- just backwards.

what do you think.

·
Registered
255 Posts
On some bikes, kits that change the shifting controls will result in reversing the shift pattern. I've usually seen it in the context of adding rear set pegs and having to invert the shift lever 180 degrees. I would about bet there is something about this kit that has essentially the same result, a change in linkage positioning or some such. If they haven't installed one maybe they screwed up on the install, if this is a factory kit I can't imagine one being marketed that would change the shift pattern, given that I believe a standardized shift pattern is mandated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow. Not sure... Mine is like any other bike, 1 down and 5 up. I just got my service manual today. Let me know if you want me to look anything up....

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think some practical joker at the factory installed the linkage upside down. And the twerps at your dealership can't figure it out. Take it back and have them check the parts fiche for the correct orientation.:furious:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
WTH is this lowering control kit you speak of? :confused:

It's called GP shifting, the way they do it at the MotoGP level. Faster no clutch upshifts (down actually). Take pictures at the linkage into the motor. Flip it around 180 degrees. Should be easy to DIY.

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
It's called GP shifting, the way they do it at the MotoGP level. Faster no clutch upshifts (down actually). Take pictures at the linkage into the motor. Flip it around 180 degrees. Should be easy to DIY.
This.........^^^^^^^

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just picked up my 2012 Vstrom. It shifts backwards. Am I missing something. first gear is up and 2-6 is down.. I had the lowering control kit installed before I even picked up the bike. Is it even possible that this could have changed the shifting. Any ideas.

If everyones 2012 shifts normally I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and have them check it out with suzuki.

This is the first 2012 the dealer has sold and they thought it was a little strange but everything works perfectly -- just backwards.

what do you think.
Here this may help. PM me with your email and I will send you a scanned copy of what the service manual says the gear shift is supposed to look like. The file is too big to upload. Not sure why it looks blue in the pic but it is not.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. The control lowering kit was from Rick's adventure tech. Many here have installed his kit with no problems so my guess it is a problem from the factory. I will be bringing the bike back to them to have the shift linkage flipped. Sounds like some of you are pretty sure this is the problem.

I really doubt the lowering kit could have caused it.

Thanks again

I will definitely give everyone here an update. I will try and find out if it happened at the factory or at the dealership.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jarhead 88

Thankyou for the picture.

I now see the problem

instead of the shift linkage pointing at 2 oclock like in your pic it is pointing at 530

I am now 90% sure it is the mechanic that installed Ricks lowering kit that must have installed it incorrectly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok here is the pic. what do you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's totally wrong. The black linkage(Heim) joint should be at the two o clock position. Unscrew the pinch bolt and reset the linkage so it looks like the other pic in this thread...That should solve your problem. If you need to adjust the height of the lever, you can attach it within a few threads up or down from center. But...you obviously can flip it all the way around.
All you need is thirty seconds and a wrench and you're back in business

·
Registered
255 Posts
Its obvious when you look at Jarhead's photo vs yours. Burn a copy of his photo and take the bike to the dealer, its probably 10 minutes to fix but they should do it since they got it wrong, assuming its convenient for you to take it there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone

I am actually relieved there is not something wrong with my bike -- just something wrong with my mechanic.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Please do tell your service manager about it. That kind of error... or any blatant error needs to be on record. Even more so if you intend to use them again some day.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Look at the shifter and the linkage there.

The linkage is upside down.

Did the same myself once , but didn't embarrass myself by posting that.

The shift will be quite a bit smoother when it's up the right way.

You can fix it yourself, but if you don't have much mechanical expertise - take it back. There are circlips to remove and bolts that have the be just enough too tight.

Peter

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't take it back. If they don't test their work and make sure it does what it supposed to who knows what else they will screw up. And they will keep the bike for a week and leave it outside in the rain. Probably drop it and scratch it too. :mrgreen:

This sh#t seems to happen more often than you think. Just remove the pinch bolt, slide it off and put it the 3 o'clock position. The adjust the height to where shifting is comfortable for you. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts