StromTrooper banner

Diagnostic suggestions wanted - 2005 DL650

966 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jasonlion54 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My 2005 Strom 650 has 120,000 miles on it (yes, really). Its given me almost zero problems until a few weeks ago.

It starts and idles fine, but when I give it 3/4 or more throttle it won't rev up and has zero power.

I've been too busy to ride lately (and it's miserably cold), so I haven't done anything to look into the issue yet. I ran a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner through it to no avail, so before I start throwing parts at it, does any one have any suggestions on where I should start looking? The two cylinders seem to be running evenly, so I doubt it's a plug or coil issue. My first thought is fuel system. The pump pressurizes when I turn the key and sounds the same as it always has.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

#3 ·
Has the high-pressure fuel filter ever been replaced? If so, how long ago?

Do you know, for sure, when (if) the engine valves were last adjusted (at what mileage)?

Is air filter reasonably new/clean?

Offhand I doubt it's spark related (assuming plugs have changed in last 50,000 miles or so). If air cleaner is in half-decent shape, it's probably not that (air). That leaves fuel.

Reactions: Gert
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.