StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some new destinations within 6-8 hours of Washington DC for the next few weekends, I am looking for camping, scenery and good eats.
Any suggestions?

Mike

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
What he said.

I could give you specifics when you get near Asheville, NC.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Its never the destination you search for my friend, the best trips never have a destination as the soul of the trip is getting there. Set forth on a round about to one of the areas mentioned, but repeat after me, very slowly....now here to be, and all day to get there, then your adventure will begin.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso, NC. That is all you need.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Michaux State Forest in Pennsylvania. The Appalachian Trail goes through there, and there's a nice trail called Pole Steeple which goes to the top of a ridge overlooking the Cumberland Valley. Lots of nice roads in the area, and Gettysburg is fairly close too. Camping is primative, though there are a few commercial campgrounds nearby too. My family used to own a cabin by Fuller Lake in Pine Grove Furnace State Park, and I just visited Pine Grove for the first time in years back in July. The cabin is still standing and looks great. There's a really nice ride report with lots of pictures on Michaux on ADVrider. Have fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should modify my request....
Destinations which will bring me to good riding areas.
I rode down to Peaks of Otter and camped there this weekend, it was pretty great.

I am a big perponent of enjoying the ride and seeing where you end up, but I like to have some more solid plans when I bring my gal along with me.

Thanks for the advice, and keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You could probably make a good trip of hitting skyline drive follow it south to the blue ridge parkway. Ride south till you're tired or your ass is too sore, camp, and turn back north the next day. That'd make a good trip.

I might have to do that soon...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yeah

I am looking for some new destinations within 6-8 hours of Washington DC for the next few weekends, I am looking for camping, scenery and good eats.
Any suggestions?

Mike[/QUOTE Anywhere in Central PA from the Maryland border to NY.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ride out I-70 to Hancock, MD and just take any twisty road north following the mountains up in to the Poconos and if your feeling ambitious continue into the Catskills. Wonderful riding and plenty of hotels on or near the Interstates on your way up. A buddy and I did 5 days of that last year and never really got on a highway after the ride out I-70 to Hancock, MD.

You can ride all over the place out there and then just head back the next night taking small roads back to DC. There are plenty of them out that way between PA, MD, VA and WV you can keep yourself entertained.

Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are also about 15 covered bridges in Bucks Co. Google search it and map out a trip to find all of them. It a blast and there are tons of twisties.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A ride I really want to do is down the eastern shore, across the big bridge into Norfolk, into the OBX and down the entire coastline until hitting Ocracoke. There is a camp ground there, where I'd park the bike, and just sleep on the beach.

Next morning, wake up take the ferry back to the mainland and ride out west to the NC/TN state line, ride the hills for a while, then park my ass in the that part of the country, maybe Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, maybe not.

Next stop back in Frederick, via blue ridge pkwy. Now, this trip could be done in 3 days, but with my experience, let's make it 4 :)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
maybe Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, maybe not.
If you do, let me know, that's maybe 30 miles from my house.

I can find you some roads that'll make your head spin.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do you have access to military bases? A couple places come to mind. Fort A.P. Hill has some lakefront cottages for rent, and getting there can involve rt 218, a road that is a blast.

Also, there is the Cape Henry Inn. Would route you down the Easter Md shore and through the Bridge-Tunnel, maybe an overnight stay out at Chincoteuge, VA would be cool on the way.

Or you could go south, some of the back roads you could take to the VA Beach area would be fun too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts