Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were riding through the Adirondacks last week, and on the way back from WhiteFace Mtn. we got caught in a hellacious thunderstorm for about half an hour. The next day I had occasion to use the horn (cheerfully warning off a roadside turkey), but all I got was a high-pitched whistle, kind of like a kid's little toy train whistle. How embarrassing! I understand it probably sucked in some water during the rain, but it shouldn't have been too bad since I never used the horn while it was raining.
Since then, it's been intermittently working, but mostly still that high-pitched whistle. The Denali is mounted in exactly the same location as the Stebel horn, as per Pat Walsh's instructions. (The Stebel failed after about a year.)
Any idea how this can be fixed? I can't even find mention of any warranty for this, even from Twisted Throttle (where I bought it). I've only had it since January, and I'm kind of disappointed with these repeated air-horn failures. Although they ARE pretty loud, when they work... :confused:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so I expressed an opinion about this horn, but I DID also have a question whether anyone knew how to fix the issue...

Anyone?

Also, I googled this and only found ONE similar example, on another motorcycle forum. The responses there were mostly, "I don't ride in the rain." Losers!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
They definitely don't like any water getting into the compressor. I mounted mine tilted and pretty protected so water will not creep in and sealed all parts with silicone to stop water getting into any gaps. Has been through some heavy rains, ok since several years now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Yea found nothing searching for Denali Soundbomb, (although it IS very similar to the Stebel). Actually I can't even find the intake on this one, the Stebel had a clearly identifiable intake, and some tubing connected to that to keep water out. I'll have to unbolt the Denali from the bike and really inspect it, definitely will hit it with some lubricant and see how that works. I like the silicone sealer idea. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the horn off the bike and found the compressor intake for the Denali. (Yea, I should've taken a picture.) It's centered directly under the compressor, two slots molded into the plastic.

So I liberally sprayed inside the trumpets with some WD-40, then also dropped some Dupont Teflon lubricant into the intakes. Hooked it back up and activated it a few times, lubed it a bit more, and now it sounds as good as new. Reinstalled and I'm good to go. I like my loud horn! >:)

Trapperdog & Blaustrom, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mounting Angle

With the Strebel Nautilus Horn and also the Denali horn certain mounting angles have to be followed to avoid failures.

...The instructions note that "the horn should be mounted so that the cylinder is vertical with the horn facing down. There should be no more than a 25 degree variance from the vertical position."...Here's a photo of the original incorrect mounting orientation. The cylinder is horizontal and we confirmed with Twisted Throttle that this is incorrect and will cause the horn to fail:
Denali Soundbomb Horn Review - webBikeWorld

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I received the instructions with both the Stebel and Denali horns, and have mounted both as directed. Thanks for the recap though.

The Stebel failure was a little different. The bike had been parked over the winter, in the garage, for a couple of months. (Normally I get in at least one or two rides per month even in December and January, during the Winter- I'm slipping!) So for no reason the Stebel started sounding like someone was strangling a goose.... I was going to try oiling the intake, but then found that the whole piece where the hose attaches, was cracked off; probably due to vibration. A dual failure after less than a year of installation.

I like the fact that the Denali has a simpler type of construction, and I'm encouraged by the results of this "fix" so far. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Took the horn off the bike and found the compressor intake for the Denali. (Yea, I should've taken a picture.) It's centered directly under the compressor, two slots molded into the plastic.

So I liberally sprayed inside the trumpets with some WD-40, then also dropped some Dupont Teflon lubricant into the intakes. Hooked it back up and activated it a few times, lubed it a bit more, and now it sounds as good as new. Reinstalled and I'm good to go. I like my loud horn! >:)

Trapperdog & Blaustrom, thanks for your help!
This is the fix I did on the Stebel and it has been working great for the 7 years since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts