StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished installing Denalis on my 2010 wee and I'm impressed with their quality and effectiveness. :thumbup:

Understand that I didn't acquire them to improve my night vision ahead although it appears that they may indeed help. The existing headlights do a darned good job of lighting my way at night especially since I installed an Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Relayed Wire Harness that now provides higher voltage, amperage and, obviously, higher output.

My main motivation for the Denalis was to improve my daylight visibility to other motorists. I also modified them to emit a yellowish light by coating the lenses with 3M laminate. I also decided to mount them off the front fender to better project that "triangle" of light that helps other motorists see us approaching a little sooner.

I rather like the look of them when they are on (which is ALL THE TIME). This picture was taken at dusk and I was about 70 feet away (standing):

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got them from Dual Sport Plus in Canada which imports them from Twisted Throttle. I have no idea what version they are. They have two versions?!? Maybe only in the USA.

They are mounted "on the front fender" so, no, I didn't use the "accessories bar". I acquired the fender mounts from the same vendor.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I got them from Dual Sport Plus in Canada which imports them from Twisted Throttle. I have no idea what version they are. They have two versions?!? Maybe only in the USA.

They are mounted "on the front fender" so, no, I didn't use the "accessories bar". I acquired the fender mounts from the same vendor.
The new version lights are round and cost more (I think around $350). The originals are square and are less than $300 from DualSport Plus...

Richard

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I like the Denalis also, got them for the same reason. Visability to other drivers. I use them day and night (well early morning commute).

But I just used the existing fender mounting bolts to mount them works great and no need for additional hardware.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thanks CanadianFZ6 :thumbup: I saw them today for the first time - on the A Viscious Cycle website. At $350 CAD I'm happy with my version 1 Denalis which cost me $279 CAD before shipping and taxes. Apparently, D2 Denalis are brighter. Since I bought the Denalis for conspicuity and not better night riding vision I am quite happy that they are doing what I intended them for. :hurray:

PHP:
 [B]Mud Puddle[/B]: I like the Denalis also, got them for the same reason. Visability to other drivers. I use them day and night (well early morning commute). But I just used the existing fender mounting bolts to mount them works great and no need for additional hardware.
:thumbup:
I ordered the fender mount kit not realizing that they could be attached directly to the fender like yours Mud Puddle. Actually, I was also concerned about possibly damaging the lights in the event of a tip-over. :eek:rig_frown: The brackets I used allowed me to position them up a little higher and thereby put them into that triangular "safe zone" defined by the tire contact point and handlebar ends. :biggrin: I was also concerned about how they would do on rough road conditions. Last Saturday I rode a forest trail up north and they got a good shaking. However, the lights were rock steady and never got loose or turned in their mounts. They add a bit to the un-sprung weight of the front wheel but I never noticed any difference in the feeling I got from the forks while riding. :mod_cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My lights have been through the grinder - but they are still working. :mrgreen:

I've been on two long trips to the US this year - a total of about 7,400 miles - since I mounted them on the front fender. I've had three tip-overs and one low-side crash on a gravel road in Mississippi. The lights were not as well protected as I had hoped. They got scratched and were spun/twisted out of alignment. The brackets and the light housings were OK. I only needed to smooth out the scratches and retouch them with black stove paint and adjust the alignment again. But I'm getting tired of doing that.

A more serious situation occurred when I was heading north on I95. I heard a loud bang from the front and looked down through the fairing opening at the forks. Nothing seemed to be amiss. I thought I must have run over a small item on the road or hit something thrown out of some asshole's window. It wasn't 'til I got to the motel an hour later that I noticed the left light module dangling down from its cable. Hmm. Considering how much slack cable there was the module (which has some heft) could have contacted my front tire, and been flung with a great amount of energy up into some other piece of vital machinery (or my leg)! I was lucky especially since its state had been ignored for an hour or so. Weird how I never hear anymore clunking. Anyway, it came loose because the small screw locking it to the fender mount fell out. I intentionally eschewed loctite because I wanted to be able to dismount the damned things later for a different location. There is no doubt that the added amount of vibration from being part of the fork dynamics is responsible for the loss of the screw. :yikes:

I am in the process of moving the lights up to a bar under the headlights. Less light triangulation but safer install. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Denali D1 on the wee

20110926_140723rett.jpg

My Denali D1. Really bright in daylight and seem rough and tough, but don't know how effective they are at night, because I just had time to install them before the snow came to Norway.
Everything is bought from Twistedthrottle, including the mounting bar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does any one compared these and the PIPA lights?? Just starting the idea of adding more front light. The Denali LED Lights look good in the picture. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts