StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchased a set of Denali 10 watt LED lights from Twisted Throttle. TT buys the VisionX lights and adds custom wiring, relays and a switch. The workmanship of the kit is high quality and the packaging is nice.

My objective is greater front conspicuity and additional lighting (in that order). I plan to install them this weekend using the front fender bolts (for the light triangle effect) with a nylon spacer between the bracket and fender. Does anyone have suggestions regarding the mounting and a possible relay that is switched with the key I can tap?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
If you haven't installed a fuse box under your seat yet for all manner of electrical accessories, the time has come. Do the fuse box first, then connect the lights. You can find tons of information on this subject. I like the Blue Seas unit.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have them as well. I am just waiting for the snow to melt and the temp to rise before I go near the plastics.

According to the instructions, they are powered straight off the battery and are controled, on/off, by a connected line to a "powered when ignition on" line by positap connection.

This is the question I think the OP was getting at. Which wire in the jumble up front would be good? Pics would be even better if someone has the knowledge of the wiring up front.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wired them to one of the headlight connectors. Since switching to a HID kit I had one unused headlight connector. Sorry don't have pics.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did you use a SAE connector or tap into it? I am sure that there are guys around here in Edmonton that can get me through the install, but I like to be independant and do things myself for the most part until I know I need help. The set up right to the point of tapping into an Ignition on wire could be more direct with the instructions.

Do you like them and are they as bright as they say they are? More importantly, do the cagers see you?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed

I installed the set this weekend. I'll take pictures and post in the next day or two.

Anyway, installation was almost painless...I mounted them on the Pat Walsh crash bar on the inside mount for the highway pegs. This results with about 3 feet of extra lighting cable to deal with. On the other hand, the switch lead is not long enough to route properly and allow mounting on the handle bars. The switch is tie wrapped by the triple tree at the moment.

The lights are insanely bright and do not appear to have any cut off in the beam. I have them aimed way too far down to be very usable for lighting, but they are still very bright to oncoming cars - maybe too much for night driving. I'll contact Twisted Throttle today and see what they can do about the cabling issues. I think VisionX sells a rheostat for dimming the lights. That might be the ticket. Of course, the clearwater lights come with a dimmer stock.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I installed the set this weekend. I'll take pictures and post in the next day or two.

Anyway, installation was almost painless...I mounted them on the Pat Walsh crash bar on the inside mount for the highway pegs.....The switch is tie wrapped by the triple tree at the moment.

The lights are insanely bright and do not appear to have any cut off in the beam.
I got the aux light bar from TT and will mount them up front. I'm more curious about which wire to tap into. I may do the SAE plug but if it's easier to positap into something...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually...

You won't need any additional connectors. You just connect the positive and negative leads to the battery, or fuse box. The positive lead is already fused. A posi-tap is included in the kit to connect the switch lead - this wire is only for the switch, not main power. I tapped the tail light circuit so I can turn on the lights with the keyswitch in the 'park' position if I need task lighting without turning on the headlights (like camping).

·
Registered
378 Posts
JeffC, that's along the lines of what I was looking for. Do you recall what color the OEM wire was that you used? Where on the bike did you tap into the wiring...by the tank, further back?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the same positap at the rear that I already had for the Hyperlights. Off the top of my head I think the tail light wire is grey (or gray:)).

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The tail light hot is gray under the fender but brown in the sheath on the left of the under seat tray. Ground is always Black with a white stripe, B/W. The brake light hot is W/B.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The tail light hot is gray under the fender but brown in the sheath on the left of the under seat tray. Ground is always Black with a white stripe, B/W. The brake light hot is W/B.
Awesome, Thanks Greywolf. :hurray:

I have the Denali's to hook up as well as a set of BikeVis Bullets...and some more over the winter farkles!

Will it ever end?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Denali Light Kit DONE!

Okay, I hooked up the light kit this past weekend. I installed the TT light mount bar with no issues other than a broken panel pin. :( I took the small black piece of plastic off on the lower tank and ran the wires along the left side under the tank through the tank bracket and forward of the rubber cushion. (Note: I loosened the bolts on the bracket to lift the rear of the tank to make it easier to feed the wires forward of the cushion). I connected the switch wire to the brown wire back at the seat lock area. It's where the sheath was cut open for my AdmoreLighting Kit for my E52 top case.

I zip-tied the wires to existing wires in the handle bar area being careful to leave slack for turning the bars full stop left and right. I zip-tied the wires from the lights themselves to the holes on the underside of the black nose piece.

Because I don't have mirror extenders or a flat spot to adhere the control switch to, I zip-tied the control switch to the mirror mount rubber cover. I plan on making my own flat mount to later adhere it to.

I got everything up and running and adjusted them 100M (approx) from a wall indoors and took some pics showing the benefits of LED lighting. I took pics of Low and High Beam and then took pics of both with the Denali's on facing the bike and from the rider seat.

Would I buy them again...Yes. Have I tested them on the road yet, no! Too much crap on the roads here, including ice at night. Once the weather turns better and the roads don't have ice on them at night, I will take more pics from a distance to show the conspicuity of them.

Here's the link; http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/Skinnifatkid/Twisted%20Throttle%20Denali%2010%20Watt%20Led%20Light%20Kit/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Switch Cable

Hi Skinni,

Looks good.

I still haven't posted pics yet. I'll try to get to that this weekend. I am also going to swap out one lens to the 'flood' and compare beam quality and especially flare to oncoming traffic. Also, I contacted TT since I could not route the switch cable properly – it was too short to follow the factory wiring. They have a switch cable extender in the works, you might want to put your name on the list…

Jeff

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
I like them. Wonder if mounting them below the light bar would help get some visual separation from the headlights? Right now they kind of blend right in with the headlights. Still ups the brightness/intensity, though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lower Mount

I mounted them on the Pat Walsh crash bar (on the inside of the highway peg mount). Probably not the best location, but it creates a pretty good 'triangle of light'...and they are insanely bright. I'll try to get pics by the weekend.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts