StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 08 V-Strom 650 which I think is the best overall bike I've ever owned. But 10 years is a long time to ride just one bike. So I went to a Suzuki Demo Day and rode the 2018 V-Strom 1000. Really nice bike. I am going to buy one. My preference is the Glacier white ABS model with cast wheels. Only question: when will Suzuki reveal the 2019s? Isn't is usually in the summer? I would like to see what color they are.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Before you commit and since you are considering a change of scenery why not take the time and ride/look at lots of bikes.

So many fish in the sea, so many good deals out there I hate to see you limit yourself to your 1st kiss in 10 years.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Before you commit and since you are considering a change of scenery why not take the time and ride/look at lots of bikes. So many fish in the sea, so many good deals out there I hate to see you limit yourself to your 1st kiss in 10 years.
I agree, look around. I took a 2018 DL1000 for a demo spin today too and it was nice but if I am going to pay insurance on a liter bike then I really want to get my money's worth.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Bikes are dangerous; they have a highly infectious virus which can grip an otherwise happy owner with a "must have now" fever. Best is to let the fever subside and think through, but sometimes - well, what the heck, life is short, right?

My 09 Wee is at about 45K miles now; owned it since it was brand new. I have been considering upgrading to a larger engine bike. I'd like to be able to ride two up with my wife a bit more and in more comfort. When the time comes, I definitely plan to ride multiple bikes, some of those test rides with her. If I was buying now, I'd be considering:

Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Ducati Multistrada 950 (least likely)

I'm not saying don't get a new bike; try something else, though.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Yes - try the field first so there is no wondering when folks attempt to talk up other bikes. :) I test rode nine adventure bikes when I bought my V-Strom 1000. Nearly all of the 1000's and 1200's. I skipped the Tigers I had ridden before and the Multistrada because of weak dealer support in our area. I had owned a 2013 V-Strom 650A before it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes - try the field first so there is no wondering when folks attempt to talk up other bikes. :) I test rode nine adventure bikes when I bought my V-Strom 1000. Nearly all of the 1000's and 1200's. I skipped the Tigers I had ridden before and the Multistrada because of weak dealer support in our area. I had owned a 2013 V-Strom 650A before it.
I'll just consider you my research assistant and plow ahead. Tomorrow's Monday and all the bike shops are closed.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Once in a while I like to go up there and burn their gas. :laugh2: I bought three bikes from them over the last five years. I just rode a Super Tenere again but for a longer ride about a month ago and did a write up on here. I decided the V-Strom was still better for me but I liked the shaft drive. A lot of the choice depends on how you use it.

I'll just consider you my research assistant and plow ahead. Tomorrow's Monday and all the bike shops are closed.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
After 6 years on my '12 Vee, I will not buy another chain drive motorcycle unless its a dirt bike. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vee but if I were in the market.....just sayin.

·
Registered
305 Posts
At our NEVA event a couple of weeks back, we had the president of Suzuki Canada there, and as much as we tried offering him copious amounts of post ride whiskey to ease the extraction of information ( he was having none of either no matter how hard we tried), the best we got was a 2020 model, sometime next year with major updates. He said he's seen it in person.

So likely more deals to be had on 2018's in the future.

Regardless, nothing wrong at all with what you bought. I may do the same thing next year.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
So the 2018's are already obsolete? I bet it has cruise control. ?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
When I bought my '14 DL1K, I was looking for a sport-tourer/commuter. My criteria was relative light weight, light-to- medium luggage capacity, long-distance comfort(specifically legroom), low to mid-range torque over high-rpm horsepower with effortless highway cruising. Off-road riding was not a consideration.
I looked at:
1) Africa Twin. Too "dirt-bikey" for my taste.
2) Yamaha Super Tenere'. Not too thrilled with a large vertical twin engine. I never see one on the road. Cruise control.
3) Yamaha FJR1300. The bike I was serious about. Until I pushed it around the showroom floor(heavy!) and sat on it on several occasions(no more legroom than my Kawasaki ZRX1100). ES model had electric suspension, had cruise control. Has shaft drive.
4) Yamaha FJ09. Great engine, bike felt..dainty, for lack of a better word. Just wasnt my cup of tea.
5) Kawasaki Versys1000. Very close, but no cigar. Great luggage, comfy seat, suspension too soft, strong mid-to-high rpm performance. I didnt want yet another 4-cylinder engine, not that much different overall than my ZRX.
6) BMW or Triumph. Not considered, as I still have memories of working at BMW and MG/Triumph/Rover car dealerships early in my career. Fiat/Lancia also, so Italian bikes werent considered either.
I'll take an appliance over a cultural icon or work of art any day.
Then, just by chance, I rode this Suzuki Vstrom1000ABS, and it was love at 1st ride. Huge usable torque, silk at highway speeds, steers/brakes/handles better than my ZRX, all-day comfortable, enough torque so that downshifting to pass is purely optional. OEM luggage including top box and clip-on tankbag is perfect for my needs. The dealer threw in a stupid-low price and I was home! Every ride is a constant grin-fest. Light weight, practically jumps up on the center stand. I am one happy camper.
Yes, it's a chain, and not a shaft. But I can adjust and align a chain, can still push a spray can button, and if I ever want to change gearing it's a no-brainer.
No, it doesnt have cruise control. But, I can fall asleep on the Vstrom at 80 mph, a cruise control could put me in a ditch just that much sooner. A $13 Kuriakin Throttle Boss saves my hand on interstate drones.
At my age this Vstrom1000 could very well be my last motorcycle considering how long I keep my bikes.
Then again, if Suzuki came out with a Vstrom with a better instrument/cowl arrangement, a 1200-1300cc V-twin engine, ride-by-wire throttle with integrated cruise control, and shaft drive, I'd HAVE to take a look.
But for now and most likely forever, The DL1000 is the perfect bike for me.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Done deal, will pick her up Thursday.
Great news. Congrats!

I think you'll love it. I got to spend some time on a couple new-gen Vees, and I really, really liked them. Want one someday.

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Scorch is out there riding right now, with a huge grin and his head in the clouds of happiness. Might hear from him later today with the usual "whats that burning paper smell, is that normal" comment. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts