StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Harley owner, but recently got interested Adventure/ Dual Sport bikes. Looked at a few KLR650s, but found the V-Strom fits the bill. So I just picked up a 2012 V-Strom ABS Adventure and I am very pleased with it!

However, I am not accustom to such a quiet exhaust. After doing some research, found the Delkevic Carbon Fiber 9" oval muffler is sold in the USA and sounds awesome. It is a 3/4 system for just under $300, so I am even more interested.

Want to ask if anyone has installed a delkevic system on their V-Strom, and had issues with the skid plate interfering (SW-Motech)?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
9"? I have the 18" Delkevic pair on my DL1000 and find it perfect with the DB killers (baffles) installed. With them out it is WAY too loud. I was surprised because when I had the same mufflers on my Triumph 900 triple the sound was perfect with the baffles out. I doubt you or anyone around you would survive the noise of the 9" for long.

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha, I hear what you are saying. Delkevic says their 9" puts out 105 decibels with baffle in. Can only see youtube videos to try and comprehend what that means. Don't want to debate the loud pipes thing, I just feel safer when other drivers can hear me coming...

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Hahaha, I hear what you are saying. Delkevic says their 9" puts out 105 decibels with baffle in. Can only see youtube videos to try and comprehend what that means. Don't want to debate the loud pipes thing, I just feel safer when other drivers can hear me coming...
You need to let go of the "loud bikes save lives" myth. Loud bikes just tick people off and are the single biggest reason motorcycles are being restricted/legislated against.

BTW the front brake won't kill you and you don't have to "lay her down" either! 😁

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Looks to me like that particular muffler is illegal in half your states. Maybe not in your state. Then there's this:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Slovcan, appreciate the feedback. Just wanted info on the Delkevic, didn't think it was going to be that offensive...So let me reply with some humor: I'm from the land down under, which in this case means New Jersey. Where I'm from, people who drive smart cars with tree hugger bumper stickers tick people off. It also seems ironic living near mega industrial areas pumping out toxic waste and deafening tractor trailers zooming by, that people would be concerned about the exhaust on a 650 motorcycle. Never seen a police officer stop a motorcyclist and examine the muffler, but witnessed the crime of high taxes and the stripping of our freedoms everyday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if anyone has advice about aftermarket exhausts on their 2nd generation V-Strom 650 I would appreciate it. I'm going to ride my bicycle today in shorts, t-shirt and a baseball hat. I'll be passing out of shape dudes on $3000 bicycles who wear skin tight nylon outfits and cleated shoes. I might even get nuts and throw a Styrofoam cup the trash can at an intersection...such a rebel...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thank you Slovcan, appreciate the feedback. Just wanted info on the Delkevic, didn't think it was going to be that offensive...So let me reply with some humor: I'm from the land down under, which in this case means New Jersey. Where I'm from, people who drive smart cars with tree hugger bumper stickers tick people off. It also seems ironic living near mega industrial areas pumping out toxic waste and deafening tractor trailers zooming by, that people would be concerned about the exhaust on a 650 motorcycle. Never seen a police officer stop a motorcyclist and examine the muffler, but witnessed the crime of high taxes and the stripping of our freedoms everyday.
Not offended. We're just on opposing sides of the Loud Pipes Save Lives debate. I can't put up with mine with the 18 inchers without the baffles in for very long, so I really think if you went with the 9" it would get old pretty quick.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Frank - you sound like a fellow freedom loving American. Welcome.
Harley and Strom rider here.
Have not had the Delkevic on a Strom, but had one on Bandit 1200. Bought the bike that way, so I don't know the details. If I had to guess it was 12 to 18" and sounded throaty without being obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just feel safer when other drivers can hear me coming...
you should have known ha ha ha
i have a '12 650 with the 18" delkevic and find the sound just right, especially at 5k rpm and above. with the baffle out, it loses it's quality.
i am running the suzuki plastic chin fairing and a homemade skid plate. iirc, somebody mentioned a minor adjustment on the SW-Motech that worked.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I was thinking about ordering the 14" SS for my K9 650, but looking at the service manual, I see that the heat shield mounts to the stock muffler, so I'd loose that.
Not sure how much that would matter.
I do have the Happy Trails panniers and wonder how much heat without the shield would get to the pannier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Much appreciated brothers, saw some in depth discussion about this on another post but not exactly what I was trying to find out (Guy on other post also got lectured haha). According to Delkevic, the 9" pipe puts out 105 db with baffle in and moderate power boost, and the 14" puts out 100 db with baffle in and moderate power boost. The 18" was slightly louder than stock. Those numbers don't do much for me, I have to hear how good (or bad) it sounds in real life. Have Vance & Hines slip-ons on my Night Train (Going to list HD for sale) and exhaust sounds great, would love to get a decibel meter and check the V&H to get an idea what the above listed numbers really mean.

Got a laugh out of "should have known", just joined this forum and first time Suzuki owner, guess I set myself up asking about loud pipes...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
FWIW, the 18" Delkevic on mine is quite a bit more than "slightly louder than stock". Hopefully you get to listen to some different ones before you buy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't like loud Harleys, however my 2015 1000 cc strom was way to quiet. Im not sure if the 650 has the cat converter, the cross pipe and the electronic exhaust valve. My 1000 isnt that loud with the muffler removed unless you are cracking it wide above 4000 RPM, even then, its not annoying harley loud.

The cross over pipe and cat muffle so much of the sound on my bike, the muffler is almost not needed. I like it better with one...

I run a Delkevic slip on on with baffel out and its just barely audible with a helmit on, and not overbearing at all with no helmit. Baffel in, i think its quieter then stock. Again, 1000 with cat and cross pipe...

I thought about doing the whole system to eliminate the cat and such, but it would just be too noisy and I'd need the power commander then, so I saved the cash and left it alone.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put on a delkevic 14" on my 2012 650, love the sound, not annoying loud but doesn't sound like a sewing machine now, I have not tried it without the baffle yet. it runs the same route as the stock pipe even uses the stock pipe mounts. Im sure it would still fit with a skid plate

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 13 inch stainless oval Delkevic on my 2012 and I really enjoy it, quiet when I want it to be around town and lower RPMs and louder than stock when rolling on the gas out of the turns which helps me feel more connected with the bike. Fits perfect with Suzuki lower cowl and Givi side case rack. Thought I would want to take the baffle out but I like it with it in. The wight loss was worth the price and it looks really good too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Discussion Starter, I noticed no one has answered your question re bash plate. I have a DL650 2016 I purchased 2nd hand with 3k klms on the clock. It was fitted with a Delkevic system and 9” muffler. The balance tube on the system is lower than standard pipes. This necessitates modifications if you are going to fit a bash plate. When I purchased the bike I rode it home 1200 klms with the 9” muffler. Took this muffler off and replaced with 18” to avoid future hearing loss.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts