StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I google searched the site but did not find my answer. The manual indicates 87 octane, but I've heard premium is required. Which is it?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Been running my 650 on 87 for two years, and almost 40,000 km. No issues, lots of power. These are not a terribly high compression motor, so high octane is not required to prevent pre-ignition. Remember, octane RETARDS ignition so that fuel does not pre-ignite on the compression stroke.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
Been running my 650 on 87 for two years, and almost 40,000 km. No issues, lots of power. These are not a terribly high compression motor, so high octane is not required to prevent pre-ignition. Remember, octane RETARDS ignition so that fuel does not pre-ignite on the compression stroke.
actually, they are a very high compression motor 11.5:1

Thew reason they don't need premium is cause the cylinder & head is designed for very efficient and even cooling. there are no "hot spots" within the combustiuon chamber

compression is only 1 factor in ignition of fuel air mixture, temperature is more important

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys, excellent information. First fuel buy for my new-to-me Vee coming when I leave work.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Many of us experienced poor running while using premium fuel. 87 works great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
91 RON here in Oz (= 87 RON USA?) is perfectly good to use. Just steer clear of that E10 crap because it'll cost you more in economy loss than what you save at the bowser.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
... Just steer clear of that E10 crap because it'll cost you more in economy loss than what you save at the bowser.
Many of us wish that we could steer clear of the junk. We can't though because it's all that is available. I think there are a few places in the country where "Real" gas is available but in this part of Tennessee EVERYTHING is that E10 garbage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
kwik fill here in PA still the real deal-but am told that is change this year. My experience-every % ethanol equates to smae % decrease in full milage for bikes and cars. My question to thte gov't-If I end up burning 10% more fuel anyway-where is the savings to the environment or my pocket?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
High octane ratings (not actually achieved by the use of octane, but typically through additives like tetraethyl lead, MMT, MTBE, ethanol, etc) do not retard ignition - they increase the fuel's resistance to detonation. Detonation is an explosive combustion of part of the fuel-air mixture that occurs before the flame front initiated by the spark plug has reached it, caused by radiant energy, free radicals leftover from previous combustion cycles, excessive air-fuel mixture temperatures, etc.

actually, they are a very high compression motor 11.5:1

Thew reason they don't need premium is cause the cylinder & head is designed for very efficient and even cooling. there are no "hot spots" within the combustiuon chamber

compression is only 1 factor in ignition of fuel air mixture, temperature is more important
To be exact, high compression ratios and fuel-air mixture temperature are directly related - the higher the compression ratio, other things being equal, the hotter the air-fuel mixture will be as combustion starts and continues. But pretty much all modern engines have efficient cooling mechanisms, yet some still need higher octane fuel. A major factor in whether detonation will occur or not, and what the octane requirement of the engine will be, is the efficiency and speed of combustion in the combustion chamber. The V-Strom has a relatively low CR and pretty efficient combustion chambers that promote fast burning of all of the air-fuel mixture. Modern 600s, having much smaller, more compact combustion chambers (150cc vs 500cc) can run even higher compression ratios (I've seen 13.5:1, IIRC) on regular gasoline without detonation issues. Other things being equal, the larger the combustion chamber the longer it takes the flame front to propagate through the entire air fuel mixture, increasing the chances that some of the air-fuel mixture will detonate before it is burnt normally.

All that aside, the DL1000 generally needs only 87 octane (R+M/2 method) fuel, although sometimes I have experienced pinging under heavy load conditions (like climbing a long hill at high speeds in 6th gear, rolling on the throttle) in the summer, which a higher octane fuel might be useful in combating. Extended periods of detonation can be very damaging to engines.

·
Registered
482 Posts
premium

I typically run premium in my wee.

Most people here who have anything to say on the subject insist that I'm pissing away about $.20 a gallon, and that there is absolutely no reason to do it. Some have even suggested that it is detrimental to the bike to run premium - that regular 'packs more of a punch", and the detonation inhibitors in premium don't do the wee any favors; and Dbuck even says that poor running results from premium (!?!).

In response to this information, have run tankfuls of 87 octane through my bike many times. I do this to make sure that I'm not just imagining things; I mean practically everyone on the 'trooper can't be wrong, right?

My final conclusion? They aren't wrong....about their bikes. But I really don't care what anyone says about their bike, and technical justifications aside (which all make sense), I know my bike, I've ridden it for 26K miles, and it runs smoother on 93 octane.

Everytime I run a tank of 87 through, if I forget I'm doing it, I think "I need to get my throttle bodies sync'd again..." then I remember I'm running regular. Put premium in it, and no issues until I feel compelled to perform this stupid experiment again.

Actually, I'm done with it. It costs me $1.00 more per fill up to experience a smoother running bike - worth every penny to me.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Have somebody else fill the tank and see if you notice a difference when you don't know what octane is in it. Just knowing what fuel is being used can influence your feelings. There is no way I can think of for a higher octane to produce a smoother running engine unless it is pinging on lower octane fuel and you have not mentioned pinging.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Have somebody else fill the tank and see if you notice a difference when you don't know what octane is in it. Just knowing what fuel is being used can influence your feelings. There is no way I can think of for a higher octane to produce a smoother running engine unless it is pinging on lower octane fuel and you have not mentioned pinging.
While I appreciate the spirit of this post, Greywolf, and would typically accept your opinion on anything strom as gospel, as stated, I know how my bike runs like you know yours (well, maybe not the "guts" of it like you do), and I'm not imagining it running rougher. Anybody who is aware of mechanical things operate would come to the same conclusion.

Admittedly, the data is "seat of the pants", but the test method is straight forward, and the results are obvious and compelling. I have told myself "this doesn't make sense - I'm must be imagining this" for three years based in response to other threads on this subject. My T-bodies have been sync'd twice, air filter is clean, everything associated with fueling and ignition operating correctly.

Thanks for the suggestion - I may even try it.

·
Banned
593 Posts
I typically run premium in my wee.

Most people here who have anything to say on the subject insist that I'm pissing away about $.20 a gallon, and that there is absolutely no reason to do it. Some have even suggested that it is detrimental to the bike to run premium - that regular 'packs more of a punch", and the detonation inhibitors in premium don't do the wee any favors; and Dbuck even says that poor running results from premium (!?!).

In response to this information, have run tankfuls of 87 octane through my bike many times. I do this to make sure that I'm not just imagining things; I mean practically everyone on the 'trooper can't be wrong, right?

My final conclusion? They aren't wrong....about their bikes. But I really don't care what anyone says about their bike, and technical justifications aside (which all make sense), I know my bike, I've ridden it for 26K miles, and it runs smoother on 91 octane.

Everytime I run a tank of 87 through, if I forget I'm doing it, I think "I need to get my throttle bodies sync'd again..." then I remember I'm running regular. Put premium in it, and no issues until I feel compelled to perform this stupid experiment again.

Actually, I'm done with it. It costs me $1.00 more per fill up to experience a smoother running bike - worth every penny to me.
I have the EXACT same experience as you with my 650 (with the exact same skepticism shown from everyone here). My bike pulls better lower in the RPM range on premium, and is noticeably smoother.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I think its a tough thread. I have ran both 87,90,93 and i cannot tell the difference between all of them. I agree with grey wolf that its a mental thing knowing that you are running a higher grade fuel will change your thoughts about it

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The Placebo effect is very real. Unless you do a double blind test or there is pinging, there is no way to validate your impression. You may be absolutely correct but you may be totally wrong. If the money you may save is not important enough to bother with the test, by all means, forget about the suggestion. It might help somebody else though.

One possibility where using premium does result in a better running engine is if that premium grade has a better detergent package than the regular grade. That is all too common out there. http://www.toptiergas.com/ shows brands that have top quality additives in their regular grade fuels. Try one of those if you haven't before.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the EXACT same experience as you with my 650 (with the exact same skepticism shown from everyone here). My bike pulls better lower in the RPM range on premium, and is noticeably smoother.
THANK YOU! I knew I could'nt be the only Strommer who experienced this.

For me, it's not "a little different", it's "a lot different". Obvious different.

For me, the issue wasn't really figuring out whether it was happening - that part was clear. So what I ended up doing was spending time trying to disprove my perceptions simply because everyone here was saying that it shouldn't be happening - and me being a 47 year old grown man. You'd think I'd learned by now....

I run Chevron almost exclusivelly.

I could take my bike to a dealer or mechanic, and start tracking down this snipe, but I already know where that will end up.

(Hint: deep into my wallet, and me still doubting my perceptions.)

·
Banned
593 Posts
The Placebo effect is very real. Unless you do a double blind test or there is pinging, there is no way to validate your impression. You may be absolutely correct but you may be totally wrong. If the money you may save is not important enough to bother with the test, by all means, forget about the suggestion. It might help somebody else though.

One possibility where using premium does result in a better running engine is if that premium grade has a better detergent package than the regular grade. That is all too common out there. http://www.toptiergas.com/ shows brands that have top quality additives in their regular grade fuels. Try one of those if you haven't before.
Call it placebo effect, or whatever you want to... I don't really care what you think.
You make the assumption that, if an engine is not misfiring, it is running at it's peak performance. That is a poor assumption on your part. Combustion chamber dynamics are extremely complicated. The burn time (and thereby, the fuel octane) can alter the engine's torque / RPM characteristics.
I've personally seen engines that will run faster or slower at the drag strip, depending on what octane fuel is being used, and it wasn't always predictable by octane rating and static compression. One engine in particular was 8.5:1 static, and would run .2 quicker on race fuel, given the same timing (30 degrees advanced, all in at 2500 RPM). It didn't make sense, but it was repeatable.
I can tell 2 differences in my 650 when using better fuel.
1. it IS smoother at lower-mid range RPMs.
2. it ISN'T as powerful when wound out (a little soft on top).
I prefer the trade-off for the type riding I use the bike for.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
What do you guys think about regular gas but with octane booster. Even though the price of octane booster is not cheap but a local hardware store by my house was clearing it out for $1 a bottle. What ya think?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts