StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But, it did pretty well. I hit my first patch of real soft sand while shooting pictures for my wife's job in Desert Hot Springs. I noticed the dashed line on the map and saw my destination on the other end of the "wash" and decided to go for it.

Well, to go maybe 1000' it took me 20 minutes. Got buried to the axle and had to rock it back and forth to get it unstuck. But I got through! Doesn't help I have the battlewings and the bike is stupid heavy for soft sand.

To be fair though, I had no idea that the "wash" would be so deep. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I hit my first patch of real soft sand while shooting pictures for my wife's job in Desert Hot Springs.

Well, to go maybe 1000' it took me 20 minutes.
Got buried to the axle and had to rock it back and forth to get it unstuck. But I got through! Doesn't help I have the battlewings and the bike is stupid heavy for soft sand.
Definitely NOT a dirt bike...
Exactly.

The DL1000 is not marketed as a "dirt bike" yet numerous owners speak of it's dirtworthiness.
Granted, the 19" front hoop and the ample ground clearance help when off the pavement but that's where it ends.
The problem???
It obvious: Weight.
Especially in soft gravel, the Vee sinks like the 525 pound anvil that it truly is.

Due to the nature of my commute to work I have to ride a section of mixed off-road every day.
I have bikes heavier than the Vee and lighter, and regardless of classification, the lighter bikes do a lot better off road.
So yup marsh, I agree! Stupid heavy for the softer stuff.

-Ej-

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Weight isn't always a problem, provided the mud isn't thick and bottomless the DL's do O.K. they just sink in and you can just chug through - with less ugly results than "real dirt bikes".

Well not unless you consider a DR 650 suddenly hooking up at 6000rpm and spitting it into a fence is 'pretty'

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would have thought that tire-hugging front fender would be a strong indication the Strom is more a road-bike than anything else. :confused:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would have thought that tire-hugging front fender would be a strong indication the Strom is more a road-bike than anything else. :confused:
I've completely locked my front wheel with debris stuck in the front fender. You're nuts to put nobbies on a wheel with a hug fender like a street bike. One rock and you could lock your front wheel. It happened to me.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
YouTube is proof that a lot of Strom owners take these bikes to "dirt" locations that would worry me on a 250cc.

In short, my only real complaint about the Vee is the fact that it sinks.
I spend a fair amount of time in rather deep stone and if you stop, you sink. Then getting started again without the bike digging itself a hole is quite the task.

Not a good picture of a soft gravel access road but you get the idea.
And blowing through at 30+ MPH requires a tab more conviction than I'm ready to deliver at this point in the time line.

My kudos to those of you that take these heavy bikes out into the soft technical off-road stuff. It can be done. . .
Just not by me.:thumbup:
-Ej-

·
Registered
174 Posts
Definitely NOT a dirt bike...
Exactly.

The DL1000 is not marketed as a "dirt bike" yet numerous owners speak of it's dirtworthiness.
Granted, the 19" front hoop and the ample ground clearance help when off the pavement but that's where it ends.
The problem???
It obvious: Weight.
Especially in soft gravel, the Vee sinks like the 525 pound anvil that it truly is.

Due to the nature of my commute to work I have to ride a section of mixed off-road every day.
I have bikes heavier than the Vee and lighter, and regardless of classification, the lighter bikes do a lot better off road.
So yup marsh, I agree! Stupid heavy for the softer stuff.

-Ej-
Big mistake to place all the blame for poor dirt handling on weight alone. Compare the DL1000 Vee to the KTM990 Adventure R. Both weigh about the same at dry weights of around 460 lbs and curb weights of 500 to 525 lbs. The KTM does well in moderate off road situations because it has dirt bike suspension, wheels/tires, and geometry. The Vee components are pure street. So enjoy the Vee for what it really is and that would be a very versatile street bike.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Big mistake to place all the blame for poor dirt handling on weight alone.
The last sentence of my last post. . .
"My kudos to those of you that take these heavy bikes out into the soft technical off-road stuff. It can be done. . .
Just not by me".

The Vee components are pure street.
So enjoy the Vee for what it really is and that would be a very versatile street bike.
Yes Sir, exactly!
92% street and 8% off-road is why I have it.

Regards,
-Ej-

PS, Off-Topic but I had to ask: DL1000 to KTM990R price difference?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I've taken my Vee in light dirt conditions and it was fun. The only downside is once or twice when parts of the trail were very rutted to a point of stopping and negotiating a few feet at a time. I am not a real big guy, so the 1K was a bit heavy to toss about. There were a couple of moments where I thought I was going to pop a grape trying to keep it wrestled into place.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've taken my Vee in light dirt conditions and it was fun. The only downside is once or twice when parts of the trail were very rutted to a point of stopping and negotiating a few feet at a time. I am not a real big guy, so the 1K was a bit heavy to toss about. There were a couple of moments where I thought I was going to pop a grape trying to keep it wrestled into place.
lol :mrgreen:

·
Registered
598 Posts
The market demand for heavy big bore adventure bikes is actually growing. Just look at how the producers have responded with the following fresh offerings for 2012:

BMW R1200GS
Yamaha Super Tenere
Honda Crosstourer
Triumph Tiger Explorer
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Ducati Multistrada

Of course these current designs have technical advantages over the Vee. Still, when I consider how little I paid for my Vee, how reliable it is, and that it still weighs less than many of the current designs, I can only gain a greater appreciation for it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
My kudos to those of you that take these heavy bikes out into the soft technical off-road stuff. It can be done. . .
Just not by me.:thumbup:
-Ej-

......or apparently me.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Pure street bike? I think not! That would be a GSXR, SV, Harley, Gold Wing, Sport Touring etc... Neither DL is a "dirt bike" and I doubt anyone here classifies them as that. Dual sport is a slight stretch. They are great for fire roads, NFS, lumpy bumpy back roads, good two track and of course, street. When the ground gets soft, deep, rutted... trouble will start to come your way which some here have shown us in their adventures.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
......or apparently me.
That photo up there says so much.
I'm kinda' thinking that only a mad man would bring his Strom to the seashore...
In the day time...
On a public beach...
With other bathers present...
And the DO NOT ENTER sign is the icing on the cake.

Cool post!
-Ej-

1 - 20 of 32 Posts