StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to Newfoundland this Thursday and Garmin Mapsource tells me that I'll be driving over 7,000 km... 1,000 km over the normal oil change interval.

I just changed the oil and have been using Mobil-1 MX4T for a couple of years so I'm thinking it should be OK to push out the oil change this one time. :devil_50:

I'd rather not waste half a day trying to get an oil change arranged while on the road. :(

- Martin

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I would think you would be fine... However, you could just pull into a local Canadian Tire (they sell the oil you use), buy some oil (leave the filter on) and ask to borrow a drain pan from service. Just do it in the parking lot and I would think they would be kind enough to dispose of the used oil for you. You already have the tools in you tool kit and it should only take a few minutes to do the actual oil change.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Since you will be on pavement (am I assuming too much?) you will be fine waiting til you get home for an oil change. If you went 10,000km you'd probably be okay.

If you will be in dusty conditions of course the need for service would be increased, but even so you'd probably be okay.

Enjoy that trip!

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it was me I'd just watch the oil level and ride on.

SS

·
Registered
163 Posts
I generally follow the ideal with respect to maintence. However, I suspect that our bikes and oil are capable of much more than we expect of them.

I also suspect that the Honda Cubs that transport 1/2 of the developing world are not pampered like our 'Stroms.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You did not mention whether or not you changed the filter. If you did, don't worry, just bring (or purchase) a quart and keep the level up. If you did not change the filter, get an OEM, and do it, and have a good trip.:D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A good quality synthetic oil= Mobil 1 or Amsoil will easily do 6,000 miles, change the filter at 3,000 and top off- no problem. Now on a hot aircooled motor it's a different story. I'm not sure what Suzuki calls out for milage, but it's probably around 6-7,000 with dino oil. Cheers-BB

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The filter will easily do 6000 miles too. In fact, Suzuki's maintenance chart has it going over 10,000 miles before replacement. I prefer changing it every second oil change instead of every third. If over 3,500 mile trips are involved though, I'll change it at the beginning and end of the trip. It would take an over 10,000 trip before I'd change synthetic oil and the filter on the road.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I guess it'll be alright... I changed the filter last fall before putting the bike away for the winter... I've put 2400 km on the filter so far this season so by the end of the trip it'll have about 10,000 km or 6,000 miles on it.

I'll probably change the filter along with the oil when I get back home. Alas, there won't be much riding left in the season if last year is any indication (wet fall, early winter up here).

I just finished Day 1 of the trip today... 681 km. I think that's the longest 1-day ride of my life... I'm pretty stiff but otherwise it was no problem.

- Martin

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It pays to remember that some vechicles that do a lot of short trips wear out much faster than a Taxi .That's because the oil in a Taxi stays hot all day just like when we go on a trip .
Have a great trip ,do not worry about the oil change till you get back .

By the way if there is that much contaminate to restrict an oil filter in10,000miles you have a real problem problem with the engine . After about the first 2-3000 miles you have most of the fine particles out of the engine /gearbox/clutch ( that's where most come from ).

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Failure analysis

By the postings here, apparently some folks have problems at oil change time with mis-threaded plugs, filters that come loose or don't seal, etc. Doubtful that the extra miles on the oil are going to cause problems. If the bike ain't leaking when you leave, leave it alone until you are home (other than watching the oil level, of course).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts