StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time again and the deer are on the move. I live near Goderich, ON and my commute is less than 10 minutes. For whatever reason, this morning I was under the speed limit on Highway 21 heading northbound. The two deer came out of a swampy field in a light industry area on my right, emergency training kicked in and clutch in, all brakes on close to full lock and missed the deer.

Folks, keep you eyes open and be safe.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Saw two this morning also on the way to work around 10 to 6 , first two sets of eyes in the ditch and then one popped up on the road. Saw him far enough away to slow down.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I have to run the gauntlet on a regular year round basis here in Virginia. I don't even go at at night, bike or car they are so bad.:yikes:

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
It's happy deer rutting season and the bow and arrow guys are scoping the hill sides. I can't wait for the AK47's and the guys to do a decent job of culling.
I killed my F800ST by bambi last Oct. I'd rather not hit another deer this year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i hate a deer a few years ago, not recommended if anyone is wondering. Very unpredicatable creatures. My riding area is filled with them and as the crops get taken off the fields they become even more common.

Be safe!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I see deer quite often on my back roads rides. They do not seem to be threatened by my Vee with 2-Bros pipes. they either just continue chewing or casually look up to see who's speeding by. I have never had one jump out in front of me. I know. So far so good. I am always on the lookout.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Eastern Whitetail deer and Western coastal Blacktail deer have some different behaviors. A friend was put down when the Blacktail doe doubled back in front of him across the highway--he didn't see her second fawn.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Squirrels aren't the hazard deer are. Neither are Marmots.
I think squirrels and Marmots have a death wish.
Not nearly as hazardous, but they also have a death wish. Problem is they are big enough to take someone else with them.

A couple of cyclist we know had one leap over their tandem, kicking the gal in the shoulder with it's hooves and knocking them to the pavement at about 20 mph. They'll often broadside cars and motorcycles. It's not like they just "get hit". They're frantically suicidal! Fast and heavy, so there's a lot of energy involved.

·
Registered
296 Posts
oh deer

On southern Vancouver Island the powers that be have forgotten to mow the sides of the roads which makes looking out for deer impossible. Wondering where my taxes are going but just read the powers that be gave themselves another raise! So much for road safety!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My area is covered with them. I quit riding around dawn and dusk unless I have too between October and December. A big WMA is 5 miles way.

As I do every year, I will be trying my best to fill the freezer with them before they do the same to me. I just had a tasty piece of skillet fried tenderloin with onions from last years doe I found tucked away in the freezer....yum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love riding the 2 lane roads of Northern Michigan, especially in autumn. But once dusk nears, I'll tensed up like a drum and have my head on a swivel.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Last time I saw a deer in the middle of the road I aimed for it. I figured deer never stay in the same place and they either go right or left. Fortunately, I was correct the damn thing tap danced out of my way... Previous bike to that was a bit louder (exhaust leak from the collector box) and I never saw a deer ever while riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts