StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this rather interesting and thought it would be worth sharing. The full article is over at The Truth About Cars]Deadly Threat: A Deer In The Headlights | The Truth About Cars

"...Deer, he told me, are prey animals who usually live in the deep woods and they rely a lot on sound to assess threat. A car closing in on them does not make a lot of noise because, thanks to the Doppler effect, it compresses the sound waves in front of it. This is also, as a side note, why someone walking on a train track can be easily run down by a train from behind and why, despite many bikers assertions otherwise loud pipes do not save lives. Out the back and off to the sides however, a vehicle does make noise and these noises are often reflected off the trees as it passes. The deer, whose ears are much more sensitive than the one you and I have, interpret these sounds as coming from the woods and as a result will almost always run up the road and away from a sound."

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Here's what we do to bring the numbers of forest rats back to a realistic level -- with no natural predators besides Buicks and the occasional motorcyclist the numbers of these vermin have exploded far beyond any sustainable level:

- Year-round nationwide deer hunting season.
- No limits
- No restrictions on baiting or weaponry. From golf clubs to photon torpedos, if it kills a deer it's A-OK.
- Venison month on Food Network. Iron Chef Deer Day, Alton Brown talks about the health benefits, Giada and her boobs whomp up a deer loaf, Guy Fieri stuffs his face with deerburgers, Bobby Flay BBQs Bambi, the works. All-out media assault to make deer the meat of the future.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Bwringer has hit it on the nose! I almost got one a couple weeks ago. Dumb deer!
The Bobcat I saw on Sunday morning knew how to clear the road. Gave me a dirty look over it's shoulder as I went by.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what we do to bring the numbers of forest rats back to a realistic level -- with no natural predators besides Buicks and the occasional motorcyclist the numbers of these vermin have exploded far beyond any sustainable level:

- No limits
- No restrictions on baiting or weaponry. From golf clubs to photon torpedos, if it kills a deer it's A-OK.
- Venison month on Food Network. Iron Chef Deer Day, Alton Brown talks about the health benefits, Giada and her boobs whomp up a deer loaf, Guy Fieri stuffs his face with deerburgers, Bobby Flay BBQs Bambi, the works. All-out media assault to make deer the meat of the future.
All good ideas but anything that involves Giada: I'm in!

·
Registered
435 Posts
The west is different than the east when it comes to deer numbers as we have far fewer animals in most areas. Where I'm concerned while riding in the west I'm am not enjoying the ride in many areas east of the Mississippi because of so many deer. I know several riders who have hit deer and I also deal with elk that kill people in cars. Scan the ditches and brake hard if not tailgated.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

- No limits

That's an interesting thought but in practice it won't work. There are not enough hunters these days. Kids play video games. Kids get taught in most schools animal rights propaganda. I live in one of the premier states for deer both in numbers and quality. Access to hunting land is very limited. When they announce cull hunts in the parks...a "service" hunters provide as the meat gets donated....bunny huggers turn out in protest.

And many hunters are the issue. In my state, depending on location, you can kill as many does as you want. But only one buck. I kill several does a year and pass on smaller bucks. But a friend I have would never bother with a doe and kills scrawny ass bucks every year.

Guns are not the issue. We can hunt with any legal centerfire rifle. Assault rifle, no problem with 10 round max clip. 50 caliber sniper rifle sure. Handguns...sure. High power scopes...you bet. If it goes bang and isn't a rimfire, its legal. Baiting is legal, but it does not work very well. Deer hit bait and most food sources at night.

Part of the solution.

The doe permit should be free.
A doe must be tagged first, before a buck can be tagged.
More state land needs to be open to hunting.

As for my little corner of paradise, trees come right to the road edge. You always see the deer after its too late to react. I consider the hour at dusk and dawn to be very dangerous. During the rut (breeding season) deer will be on the move and very intent on making little deer. November in my state is number 1 for deer strikes. Two years ago, I was by my truck having a sandwich and one doe came flying through the brush being chased by a buck and hit the side of my parked pick up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Deer... Everywhere here in East Texas!!! Some ditches are so overgrown you could pass with in a foot of the deer and never see it. Seems like the state would mow them more than they do but...

Humm I'm not sure if I agree with the author of the little blurb that the OP linked. "Animals are thinking creatures" I think he said. If so they need to rethink a few things. Like, I see a car coming so I'm not getting out in the road. Especially right after they just seen grandma literally knocked out of her skin by an 18 wheeler goin 80mph. Why don't they stop and think about the sound of the cars echoing off the surroundings and realize its not after them?

The first video was pretty cool... Laid that heifer out... Let her know Hogs dominated the road!! Though I figured he would have found a better place to stop before a big truck proved other wise...

Was someone hurt in the second video? The dude said they called 911. For the deer? Cut those hams off and find a BBQ pit!! Hell the bike is still parked in the road too. Oh well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is a video from a helmet cam showing a deer strike and how fast it can happen. The impact is at approx. 0:33, so you don't have far to watch. It is interesting to see the damage to the bike and the deer.

Motorcycle Hits Deer @ 85 mph | Helmet Cam - YouTube

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
"Animals are thinking creatures."

Only a mooron would write something like that.
Someone suggested early on that they are the just the meat market in the food chain. They are just smart enough to turn grass into predator food.
Their hides do make nice gloves and riding apparel.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It's true that there aren't nearly enough hunters. And even if there were, it would be tough to eat enough deer to make a difference.

In all honesty, deer are like flies, rats, mosquitos, and other pest species -- no matter how many you kill, they will always breed to the point of oversaturating their environment. With deer, you end up with periodic starvation -- lots of skinny, weak deer.

For the Bambi huggers, the solution is obvious -- put up or shut up. They are more than welcome to adopt as many deer as they wish and keep the damn things in their house or barn or whatever. Or they can contribute to maintaining a sanctuary with 25' fences. Their precious protected forest rats will be kept safe from the mean ol' hunters and will never end up tangling with a Suzuki or Kenworth.

In a couple thousand years, the problem should solve itself as deer evolve to look both ways before crossing a road.

I had a dog that learned to do this on his own after being hit just once, but seeing as deer have roughly the brainpower of amoebas, it might take them a while. New and improved possums and raccoons should be showing up any time now...

·
38,047 Posts
I actually saw a prairie dog that was traffic aware. It ran up to the road, stood up tall, looked both ways, then ran across well in front of me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
deer strike

post #9 video. In the footage before the deer strike top of frame is not much higher than the mirrors of the bike. The video of the return ride has more head room above the mirrors. If the camera angle was not changed it would appear the rider was looking up, further ahead, on the return ride. If I am correct and the 85 on the dial is mph that represents a lot of feet/second. The average reaction is 1/2 second between seeing and doing. Deer, frequently will reverse direction if startled when crossing roads and head back where they last felt safe.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If you have anytime at all to react I would suggest 2 ideas. Aim for the rear of the deer (animal should not be in this spot when you get there) and brake hard as possible (hitting at 40 mph is better than 60 mph).

Hunting could very well help but again not enough hunters. The whole conservation effort was started by sport hunters in an attempt to stem the damage from market hunting at the turn of the century. The market hunters dam near wiped out many fowl species as well as the deer, elk, etc.

We have huntable numbers now due to this effort.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Someone suggested early on that they are the just the meat market in the food chain. They are just smart enough to turn grass into predator food.
Their hides do make nice gloves and riding apparel.

Well I had a thinking deer. While riding back to Cali from Oregon on my DL1000 I was doing a brief check of my rear view mirror for cops and when I looked back all I could see was two eyes a nose and two ears of a doe heading right at me headon. She must have been to traffic school because she was smart enough and had enough hoof traction to carve back to my left and we missed each other by about 3 feet. She was hauling tail I was going around 50mph if she hadn't have done that direction switch it would have been NOT GOOD for sure. Jim in Ojai ca:yikes:

·
Registered
833 Posts
In a couple thousand years, the problem should solve itself as deer evolve to look both ways before crossing a road.
Crows are very smart at this. While eating their lunch on the middle of the road (crashed animals) if they see a coming vehicule they just step on the shoulder to let pass the vehicule.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I've heard or read a statistic that there were far fewer deer in the area that comprises America when the Engrish rammed the rock at Plymouth. Then they started killing off the predator species because they were afraid of them one always kills what one is afraid of. No predators and the deer proliferated.
Grand Canyon area is wonderful example of no predators with deer and related species all over the place. Especially the North side. Predators got wiped out by the far thinkers at the turn of the century.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

I just came here to say that I really, really, really honestly love the word "mooron" you just accidentally coined. :green_lol:

Best typo EVAR. We should all try to call someone a "mooron" today. :hurray:

·
38,047 Posts

1 - 20 of 46 Posts