StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is more about being hit by a deer and "Asphalt Body Surfing" than riding proficiency.

While I sold my V-Strom a while ago I wanted to come back here and share the story of my recent crash
as it may be of help to other riders.

I hit a deer at about 60mph and walked away and rode home with only an injury (rather nasty) to my thumb.

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/ZaykzE7P_XE

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Glad you are OK.
Similar story here. I whacked a buck on Angeles Crest about 5 miles below Newcombs Ranch 3 years ago.
Don't know where the deer went other than over the side. I coasted to a stop because the hit knocked out my electricals and wrecked the front body work. It didn't cause me to go down.
Farging forest rats!
We meed a source for little sticker with a red X through a silhouette of a deer!
Perhaps the thousand dollar investment in the vest was worth it!
Oh, and those guys that shoot deer from a blind are just cowards, they don't pout themselves at risk like we do!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Well this is more about being hit by a deer and "Asphalt Body Surfing" than riding proficiency.

While I sold my V-Strom a while ago I wanted to come back here and share the story of my recent crash

I hit a deer at about 60mph and walked away and rode home with only an injury (rather nasty) to my thumb.

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/ZaykzE7P_XE

Thanks for the post and video. How long have you had your vest? I'm assuming you had to replace it after the slide.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Here is the video:

Thanks for posting the video - Glad you are okay and able to pass this along. I'm a newbie, and hadn't really seen or heard much about air vests. Two questions - In the case were the vest isn't ruined from abrasion, can you repack (and recharge) the vest yourself, or does it need to go back to the manufacturer? Also curious what you were wearing for lower body protection - any endorsement there?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Thanks for posting the video - Glad you are okay and able to pass this along. I'm a newbie, and hadn't really seen or heard much about air vests. Two questions - In the case were the vest isn't ruined from abrasion, can you repack (and recharge) the vest yourself, or does it need to go back to the manufacturer? Also curious what you were wearing for lower body protection - any endorsement there?

Cost of protective gear pales in comparison to the cost of medical treatment.

People gripe about spending money on gear. $350 bucks for boots "that's crazy!" Yea? check out the price for a x-ray at an ER.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
"$350 bucks for boots "that's crazy!"

Yup, I just bought a pair of Sidi On/Off road boots on sale for $280. down from the usual $350.
I feel like I scored!

·
Registered
859 Posts
"$350 bucks for boots "that's crazy!"

Yup, I just bought a pair of Sidi On/Off road boots on sale for $280. down from the usual $350.
I feel like I scored!
I got some GoreTex Pumas on clearance for $200 and same feeling!
I'm about due for a new jacket. This really has my interest - no idea it even existed.
It appears that the jacket uses a threaded CO2 cart to inflate and can be used multiple times - this is great for offroad where you don't necessarily bork your gear when you go down.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sucks that you hit a deer, but great that you walked away without major injury or major damage to the bike. Yamaha S-T?

Also nice that people stopped to check you out and give you a hand. There may be a lot of dirtbags out there, but there are also a lot of nice folks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The aibag vests from both Hit-Air and Helite are re-usable. You can even carry a spare cartridge on rides and recharge and load the trigger of the vests.
It only takes a minute or two.

My air-bag vest held up really well despite a really long slide on a very nasty road surface. None of the seams came apart and there is only a very small hole in the outer layer of the vest.

I recharged it and test fired it with a new cartridge and it still works perfectly. I shot video of the test. I'll post a link here when it have it on you tube.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I wonder if their jackets are vented. Seems unlikely since the airbag by necessity would block air flow.
They have an extended season flavor I need to ask them about.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sucks that you hit a deer, but great that you walked away without major injury or major damage to the bike. Yamaha S-T?

Also nice that people stopped to check you out and give you a hand. There may be a lot of dirtbags out there, but there are also a lot of nice folks.
The bike doesn't even have a scratch. Last thing I remember was giving it gas.... a habit from dirt biking for 40+ years.
The bike did buck me up, but I think the gas I gave it out of muscle memory (or accidentally) kept the bike from highsiding.
The bike went down on the Altrider crash bar. The crash bar is really well designed and does not create a balance point when the bike is down.

The bike slid all the way on the crash bar / engine guard. The bike is perfect! The Super Tenere is a tank on two wheels.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if their jackets are vented. Seems unlikely since the airbag by necessity would block air flow.
They have an extended season flavor I need to ask them about.
Not to sure about the venting on the jackets, but when the airbag is folded up and primed to go it does not cove much area at all.

I'm pretty sure they have some good venting.

I chose the vest so that I could wear it with race leathers and my ADV gear, as well as MX gear.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you are ok! Just curious, are you quitting riding?
No! I was back on the bike about 15 minutes after the crash.

I may ride less in areas with deer. I've dodged deer before.

I would really like to see airbag system for bikers take off and go main stream and see more development into full body systems.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'd rather quit riding than wear anything like a full body air bag. It's not what motorcycling is about at all in my eyes. Grab the helmet and go has been my feeling for over 50 years and I just love it that way. Might as well have a new sport of motorbike jousting if we are going to have those things foisted on us. Lumbering around feeling all restricted is just not my idea of fun at all.

I know, all the monotonous "road rash, or loss of limbs is no fun" stuff will come out now but save it. I know it's a risk, and maybe that is part of it. Surely life without some risk is about as boring as it can be.

Coops.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
For those who think using an air bag jacket is the end of the world, think that the expanding potions are like your air bags in the car, out of sight until inflated.
The price listed on those jackets is in line with Areostitch or Klim and less.
If only I didn't have so many $500 jackets already. Dang.
One can pick their risks to battle. Wear ATGATT and have unprotected sex with nasty people!

·
Registered
795 Posts
A list of the other gear you were wearing and how it held up would be useful. If you have time, pictures are always nice too.

Glad to see you got back on the bike after the slide. Any idea how long it will take for your thumb to fully heal?

I went over the handle bars on my mountain bike yesterday and landed directly on the helmet. Felt fine yesterday, but a little stiff today. After the adrenaline wore off, did you have any new aches and pains?

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I've seen inflatable sheep. Inflatable Sumo wrestler, that's intriguing! Wonder how small it might pack up for camping trips?

Wonder where the inflation valve is. Probably get horribly winded "blowing"it up!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts