StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confession: I have spent way too much time recently pondering questions about Dyna Beads. Probably a symptom of PBS since the roads here are still covered in ice. Anyway, thought I would launch these out into Strom world and see what comes back.

Q1: I know that some people swear by Dyna Beads. I also hear others say that they have never needed to balance a motorcycle tire. Are the Dyna Beads really doing anything or being credited for solving a problem that was never really a problem?

Q2: I have seen the Dyna Bead demo showing a plastic water bottle being spun at the end of a drill, all wobbly and out of balance until Dyna Beads are added to the bottle. Nice science experiment but does this really translate over to balancing a motorcycle tire?

Q3: I heard that Dyna Beads are the same thing as bead blasting media (think "sand" blasting but with tiny glass beads as the media). If so, Dyna Beads are a bit overpriced since 10 lbs of bead blasting media costs about $25. Does anyone have any info on the idea of using bead blasting media in place of Dyna Beads?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Confession: I have spent way too much time recently pondering questions about Dyna Beads. Probably a symptom of PBS since the roads here are still covered in ice. Anyway, thought I would launch these out into Strom world and see what comes back.

Q1: I know that some people swear by Dyna Beads. I also hear others say that they have never needed to balance a motorcycle tire. Are the Dyna Beads really doing anything or being credited for solving a problem that was never really a problem?

Q2: I have seen the Dyna Bead demo showing a plastic water bottle being spun at the end of a drill, all wobbly and out of balance until Dyna Beads are added to the bottle. Nice science experiment but does this really translate over to balancing a motorcycle tire?

Q3: I heard that Dyna Beads are the same thing as bead blasting media (think "sand" blasting but with tiny glass beads as the media). If so, Dyna Beads are a bit overpriced since 10 lbs of bead blasting media costs about $25. Does anyone have any info on the idea of using bead blasting media in place of Dyna Beads?
Read on........
http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/37927-dynabead-tire-balancing-system-tutorial-links-pics.html

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Oh God, why did you mention Dynabeads? :rolleyes5:

I'm so scared... :scared:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I personally use them because I change my own tires and it makes it super easy to do at home. I am now on my second set of tires with them and no complaints. I never had a problem with OEM or stick on weights either, just don't want to mess with a balancer at home.

They are nothing like any blasting media I have ever used.

All I can offer re: never balancing tires is that I spent about 10 years working as a mechanic. In that time, I changed hundreds of sets or tires. I can count on one hand the number of tires that spun on the computer balancer and required no weights.

I never tried to run tires that were out of balance on a bike to see if it could be felt. I have lost a wheel weight on my truck, and there is no question that you can tell something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have buddies who use Air-soft pellets.
Mike

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Definitely not blasting media...maybe media for ball grinding mills. I think they're too heavy for blasting and wouldn't be picked up in the air suction.
Ceramic Media, Ceramic Ball, Grinding Media, Burnishing Media, Grinding Beads of Glass, Steel, Steel Shot, Ceramics of Alumina, Zirconium, Tungsten Carbide

I'm in agreement with balancing anything that rotates. Even if you can't feel it, your bearings, suspension, and tire rubber can feel it. There may be longer tread life due to the tire rubber heating less when it isn't bouncing up & down on the road.

It would be very interesting if someone with a good balancer would run a test something like this...mount up a new tire and determine how much weight it takes to balance. Put the balancing weight in the opposite spot, exactly wrong. Take it for a test ride and note the vibration. Install the balancing beads, take a test ride, and note the vibration level now.

Here's a link to one of Dynabeads competitors:
Home
These folks are not in the motorcycle bead business, but a bit of proof that this concept does work.

By the way, several states are now prohibiting installation of new lead wheel weights. The alternatives are steel, zinc, or composite weights, or balancing beads. 3M has stick-on weights for car and motorcycle wheels, but due to the greater size for the same weight vs. lead, the new weights will be bigger.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I use U.S. ultraseal - perfect balance plus puncture protection. Test ride before adding sealant revealed noticeable vibrations.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I personally don't mind paying the relatively small price for the "DynaBeads". I can reuse 95% of them. They have to make some money, whoever they are. The DynaBeads I bought came with a nice system for installing the little things.

True that one of the other balancing systems will seal the leak in your tire should you get one but I can't re-use it and I hear it's more money; probably not that much more-?

I have to say that static balancing with weights always has me thinking the weights are going to fall off but they never have.

It is interesting about the sand blasting beads but what will I do with the left over 9lbs 11oz-? I wonder if they are one and the same but just washed clean or something or nothing. I have never used glass beads for sand blasting. I haven't sand blasted since high school metal shop class in 1975.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Personally I do not see the need.

Each new tyre comes with two red dots on the bead rim, if the valve is placed between these tow dots, then you are 95%+ covered for balance

For the record, only one of the tyres I had replaced in the US was balanced and that was done the old fashioned way, with the axle resting on some blocks and the wheel free spinning. All the rest were put on and I rode the bike.

I don't believe I had any specific problems associated with this lack of balance.

In the real world, if it is available, then use it, but from Mexico south, there was no wheel balancing machines for motorbikes that I know of. None of the other riders I met on my travels used them either.

Just my 20 bobs worth

Oh, btw, because I had a TyreWatch system installed inside my rim, the last thing I needed was a stack of balls flying past the sensor every revolution of the wheel, tyre pressure and temperature were more important to me than balance.

Cheers
TravellingStrom

·
Registered
181 Posts
Personally I do not see the need.

Each new tyre comes with two red dots on the bead rim, if the valve is placed between these tow dots, then you are 95%+ covered for balance

Oh, btw, because I had a TyreWatch system installed inside my rim, the last thing I needed was a stack of balls flying past the sensor every revolution of the wheel, tyre pressure and temperature were more important to me than balance.

Cheers
TravellingStrom
I never have seen the red dots but motorcycle tires are pretty new to me. I think I would still use some method of balancing and in my case it would be the DynaBead system.

Also I don't think the little balls, and I mean tiny, do much moving around once the tire hits a very slow speed and faster. Think of the carnival rides where you stand against the wall and the ride spins and pins you and all the other "passengers" as the floor drops away, not much moving around right-? If a sensor can withstand the forces at work inside a tire I think the glass beads would be of little consequence.

I also keep thinking that if I got a clump of mud on the wheel or tire would the beads balance me. I figure if it was a small clump then yes.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I've often wondered if those beads might get stuck in a valve stem, on a gummy plug, or gob up with fix-a-flat.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A valve stem or plug won't seize many beads. Do not inject any flat repair liquid into a tire with beads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've often wondered if those beads might get stuck in a valve stem, on a gummy plug, or gob up with fix-a-flat.
Yes- If you uses 90 deg. valve stem. a little air in the stem, be for you check the tire pressure, will clear the valve stem. Check the web site. I have uses gummy with Dyna beads, I change my own tires and have not seen any beads on the gummy plug. Ritch

·
Registered
58 Posts
dyna beads

I ran into a fella at a bike shop last weekend that is using these, I had never heard of such a thing. the physics of it escapes me. I asked my local shop (that changes my tires) about them, he is also an enthusiest and had never used them either, he said he would look into it. he did. the bead made for bikes are apparently ceramic and not glass, glass is more recommended for cars/trucks. he also had a theory that new tire balance seems to change after it is ridden for a while. seing that the beads rebalance the tire after every stop, maybe there is an advantage??

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

I think I paid like 10 bucks for my dyna beads.... and I did not have to store any leftovers...

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
the physics of it escapes me.
Visualize the wheel spinning on a spring-loaded suspension wobbling eccentrically. The out-of-balance wheel spins around its center of balance, not its geometric center (which is able to move within the limits of the sprung suspension). The light spot of the wheel is farther from the center of balance, so centrifugal force throws the beads to this spot resulting the the wheel being balanced by the weight of the beads.

The same thing can also be seen with a Frisbee with a lump of mud in one spot on the rim flying through the air. It'll wobble in the air as it rotates around its center of balance, not its geometric center.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ptrider that is one of the best explanations of dynabeads I have ever read ..I think i just had a" VOILA" monent. Been scratching my head on these things for some time ..:thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
As an engineer I understand and have practically seen the concept successfully applied to static applications (i.e. washing machines):fineprint:, but I have often wondered about the dynamic environment of a MC wheel. Every bump, every braking, every acceleration throws the balance of again and forces it to reestablish equilibrium. Makes me wonder what percentage of the time they are actually in equilibrium...

The next question is...does a good/perfect balance matter much in those instances where we know the DB's will be out of balance momentarily?:confused: I don't know...probably not. The pot hole, hard stop not so much. Throw in an accelerating sweeper with a dip and loose head bearings...:yikes: maybe.

I get a kick out of thinking about those little beads going around and around after a hard stop! Like internal spinner hubs!

Fixed weights or no weights are definately more predictable...

Still pondering the pros/cons...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts