StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please delete if it's redundant.
Love this site, it's been a great help!
I have finally hit one too many deer on my '12 Vee and insurance has decided to total it. I started with a heavily used 06 Vee and within a year went for the '12 (2 years old showroom floor) I loved both!

This last one was really my baby (even hauled a Spree 150 miles home on the back!) with farkles galore and if I decide to keep it and fix her myself the rest of the coverage won't even pay off the loan.

Now with several '14 1000 Adventures in the area I'm tempted more than ever to make the jump!

I've been reading the forum and everyone seems ecstatic with the Vee2 and I don't doubt I'd be in the same boat. Unfortunately for my tires I commute 120 a day and I can only see the Vee2 improving that commute. I love the dirt roads but with commuter tires they aren't very forgiving but it doesn't really stop me.
The more I read the more I've already made my decision but I thought I'd get some input from the Troopers!

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,656 Posts
The stock Battlewings are really good tires. With 10,250 miles on the clock I'm still running the stock set, but the back is flat in the middle. Time to order a new set and I think I will be going with the battle wings again.

The Vee2 is a very different bike, but still very much a V-Strom. Kinda a conundrum. Feels like a 650 with the power of a 1000.

·
Administrator
18,165 Posts
I was all set to get a Vee2 but ended up last week with a Wee2 XT, and I could not be happier. I have owned 2 1000 Stroms just so the OP knows. :)

Reactions: 6666G

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response! I like the idea of a Wee for being nimble but I'm a big dude and need that extra power of a Vee! The speed limit here in Wisconsin finally got the 70mph jump so that high speed comfort's necessary ;)

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
One thing I found with my V2 is that with the stock exhaust it is quiet enough to sneak up on deer and bears without scaring them across the road. I had 3 instances where the beasts were standing beside the road and didn't look up at me until I was beside them. I thought that was impressive. I can only imagine what an electric motorcycle would be like.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear BugMagnet, might've been handy this last time! Tones are still nice? Loved the twin sound when giving it, even with stock! I bet it's just gorgeous up there, I've been to Alaska but not on the bike (yet)
Aside from the Harley Electric I think it'll be a viable drivetrain, all that torque right here right now. The E Dirt Bikes just fly!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The V2 has a little bit more space for the rider and passenger than the Wee's do, which is the biggest reason I got mine. My dad has an '07 Wee that I've ridden quite a bit. I sat on the '14 Wee, but it just felt a little more cramped than the V2. I think that it ended up being exactly the bike that I was looking for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the first thing/mod for the V2 off the floor? I know I'm putting some heated grips on, some LED lights hooked to the brights too, they've saved me in the past and are a life saver on the back roads at night!

·
Administrator
18,165 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I like the idea of a Wee for being nimble but I'm a big dude and need that extra power of a Vee! The speed limit here in Wisconsin finally got the 70mph jump so that high speed comfort's necessary ;)
The 650 will run 80/90 mph all day long no problem, I have never been able to lose a 650 on my 1000. Bet yeah the 1000 will be better for a bigger fella, there is a bit more room and size to the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
What's the first thing/mod for the V2 off the floor? I know I'm putting some heated grips on, some LED lights hooked to the brights too, they've saved me in the past and are a life saver on the back roads at night!
First thing I put on are crash guards. It would really hurt to dent your tank on your first tip over.

Center stand is very convenient.

For safety stuff I always add

- Brake light flasher (Trailblazer)
- Aux lights
- Reflective rim tape
- Hand guards

Heated grips are a must for me. I hate wearing bulky gloves and my hands get cold below 13c. I can wear Summer gloves down close to freezing with heated grips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Center stand is a must! One of the best investments on the '12 and I'm kicking myself for not having it on the first one. Hopefully if number line up it'll be an adventure and come with crash bars and hand guards right? I haven't been down to look at it yet. I had Givi bars on the '12 and the right side crumpled, saved it but they're still totaling it. Have a close up of your setup Bug?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The first thing I did was lower the pegs using the Adventuretech Kit. Then Givi Airflow. Then heated grips. The V2 handles just as well as the 650 IMHO with added HP when needed.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Have a close up of your setup Bug?
This is close to what I have now. I have switched out the Aux lights as the cheap one you can see here hanging down first broke the mount, then failed in mud/rain despite being labelled Waterproof.

Givi crash bars, Happy Trails skid plate, Enduro Guardian Highway bars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first thing I did was lower the pegs using the Adventuretech Kit. Then Givi Airflow. Then heated grips. The V2 handles just as well as the 650 IMHO with added HP when needed.
Still needed the Airflow with the "9 way adjustable"? Can I ask how tall you are for the lowering pegs? There were only a few occasions when I wish I had a little more leg room, those highway bars Bugmagnet has would be really nice!

This is close to what I have now. I have switched out the Aux lights as the cheap one you can see here hanging down first broke the mount, then failed in mud/rain despite being labelled Waterproof.

Givi crash bars, Happy Trails skid plate, Enduro Guardian Highway bars.
Looks like the highway bars are dependent on the skip plate or are they universal wherever you can get a mount and do they fold up out of the way? I like the side cases on the adventure but the stock crash bars look kind of useless, your Givi's cover well! Skid plate comes off easy enough for oil changes?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Loved my 2012 Vee and love my 2014 Vee2 even more. I got the Adventure with the center stand. I wanted the black one.

Mods that I have done are fairly minimal because I'm happy with what comes with the Adventure model:

Adventuretech mirror extenders.
TechSpec tank Grips
Suzuki Tank Pad. My Givi XS308 tank bag was putting a wear mark in the center plastic piece on the tank.
Suzuki Frame Protector (stickers for the plastic down by the footpads)
Touratech Luggage Rack Extension
SW-Motech exhaust valve guard

I like the Suzuki hand guards, crash bars, and center stand. The Suzuki luggage is ok for what I need around town. I plan to use my soft luggage for trips, so I need a good easy to install/remove simple rack for that. I never had a need for a real skid plate, so the Suzuki plastic thing works for me. I prefer the look over the bare exposed filter. The stock seat is pretty good for me so far. I had replaced the seat on my 2012 Vee with a Sargent. So far I don't plan to replace my seat.

The touring windshield that comes with the Adventure works fine for me also. I am 6' 3" and I typically just leave the windshield in the 1st position (closest to me). I wear a GMax GM54S modular helmet on longer rides and an AFX 39 on shorter rides.

·
Vendor
5,656 Posts
Here's what I've done so far....

Givi crash bars
Givi Airflow AF3105
Shad SH36 side cases and SH39 or 48 top case
Adventuretech mirror extenders
Adventuretech foot peg lowering kit
Adventuretech gear shift relocation Kit
Adventuretech over the dash shelf
Ram Mount X-Grip with short arm for smart phone
Adventuretech auxiliary light bar and lights
TUTORO chain oiler
Givi Tankloc tank bag
SW Motech skid plate with FREE Adventuretech SW Motech to Givi adapter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Loved my 2012 Vee and love my 2014 Vee2 even more. I got the Adventure with the center stand. I wanted the black one.

Mods that I have done are fairly minimal because I'm happy with what comes with the Adventure model:

Adventuretech mirror extenders.
TechSpec tank Grips
Suzuki Tank Pad. My Givi XS308 tank bag was putting a wear mark in the center plastic piece on the tank.
Suzuki Frame Protector (stickers for the plastic down by the footpads)
Touratech
SW-Motech

I like the Suzuki hand guards, crash bars, and center stand. The Suzuki luggage is ok for what I need around town. I plan to use my soft luggage for trips, so I need a good easy to install/remove simple rack for that. I never had a need for a real skid plate, so the Suzuki plastic thing works for me. I prefer the look over the bare exposed filter. The stock seat is pretty good for me so far. I had replaced the seat on my 2012 Vee with a Sargent. So far I don't plan to replace my seat.

The touring windshield that comes with the Adventure works fine for me also. I am 6' 3" and I typically just leave the windshield in the 1st position (closest to me). I wear a GMax GM54S modular helmet on longer rides and an AFX 39 on shorter rides.
The Adventure comes with a centerstand?! That'd be awesome. The bare filter look bothers me too, they send the Original V out with a flimsy plastic skid plate not sure why they pulled that idea with the V2.

It seems like everyone wants the mirror extenders, glad to hear the windshield's tolerable, I got used to the buffeting with the last one but it'll be nice to lower it (on the fly I believe) when it's hot so the wind can hit some more vents.

Here's what I've done so far....

Givi crash bars
Givi Airflow AF3105
Shad SH36 side cases and SH39 or 48 top case
Adventuretech mirror extenders
Adventuretech foot peg lowering kit
Adventuretech gear shift relocation Kit
Adventuretech over the dash shelf
Ram Mount X-Grip with short arm for smart phone
Adventuretech auxiliary light bar and lights
TUTORO chain oiler
Givi Tankloc tank bag
SW Motech skid plate with FREE Adventuretech SW Motech to Givi adapter.
Keeping the ram mount from the old one, what a sweet invention that thing is! The axillary light bar's a must too, did it come with a handlebar switch or did you wire them to the brights?
Did you run into a situation that convinced you to get a chain oiler (cool little tool) or just preventative, I've been using XW Rk chains and haven't had any trouble, just a quick clean and lube when it gets a little noisy but it seems to hold it well. I hear quite a few lowering the pegs, may I ask how tall you are?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Looks like the highway bars are dependent on the skip plate or are they universal wherever you can get a mount and do they fold up out of the way? I like the side cases on the adventure but the stock crash bars look kind of useless, your Givi's cover well! Skid plate comes off easy enough for oil changes?
The Enduro Guardian highway bars are mounted to skid plate. I cannot imagine how they would attach otherwise. They do fold up which is important in a tip over.

4 bolts to get the Happy Trails skid plate off, simple enough. It is a very solid plate.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Adventure comes with a centerstand?! That'd be awesome.
No it doesn't in the US. The dealer insisted that it came with one even though I told them it doesn't. They didn't have an Adventure in stock to verify.

I looked up on the Suzuki site and even though it is pictured the Adventure with one, it never says it comes with one. I researched on the internet and several people that had purchased one said that it doesn't come with one in the US. I even found a dealer that had one in stock and they verified that it didn't have one. I called the dealer each time and they kept saying it came with one. When mine arrived at the dealer it didn't have one.

Ultimately mine came with a center stand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Enduro Guardian highway bars are mounted to skid plate. I cannot imagine how they would attach otherwise. They do fold up which is important in a tip over.

4 bolts to get the Happy Trails skid plate off, simple enough. It is a very solid plate.
Find yourself using the highway bars often? The skid plate/bar deal seems worth it. It's nice to get a little more leg room while cruising.

Has anyone put "cruise" on theirs? I ordered a Kaoko Throttle lock back in the day but it never came and I opted for the Vista Cruise one I think, a little reach over thumb lock which worked just fine really.

No it doesn't in the US. The dealer insisted that it came with one even though I told them it doesn't. They didn't have an Adventure in stock to verify.

I looked up on the Suzuki site and even though it is pictured the Adventure with one, it never says it comes with one. I researched on the internet and several people that had purchased one said that it doesn't come with one in the US. I even found a dealer that had one in stock and they verified that it didn't have one. I called the dealer each time and they kept saying it came with one. When mine arrived at the dealer it didn't have one.

Ultimately mine came with a center stand.
Glad you got one out of them! The black model still has a little white/silver at the top right?

I'm going to miss my bike but when this neck brace comes off it'll be nice to get back in the saddle without having to fix a bike. Going to pull some more things off the old and call them again, they're eager to get rid of the one 2014 model sitting around!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts