StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I debated with myself (I always win that way) as to what forum to post this question but does anyone have a suggestion for a good air chuck?? Not an tire pressure gauge as that is another whole thread but the actual chuck?? Perhaps it's just me, and I suppose it is, but I get tired of fighting with releasing air every time I attempt to add air to both the bike and automobile. You know press the generic harbor freight chuck to the tire stem and hisssssssss a bunch of air escapes before one can get it squarely on the stem to inflate the tire. Heck even then it is somewhat a fight getting it on the chuck properly. The stock bike valve is straight (but I do have right angle stems I intend on installing with the next tire change) but even my auto with angled stems is a pain to seal up when inflating.

So is this just a "quit being a wuss and learn to use a generic chuck" or are the actual decent high quality chucks available on the market? Seems mostly an issue with the rubber seal not making good contact with the stem allowing air to escape.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
At the other end of the scale, check eBay for tyre deflators. Once you've set them up screw them in, wait 30 seconds and the pressure is right.

Pete

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've used many over the years, and none seem better or worse. Milton is the usual brand, but I've used others. The rubber seal inside any of the chucks does wear out, and then they're harder to seat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do know this. You want one that will open and release air even when there is no core in the valve stem. It's much easier to seat the bead of a newly installed tire with the core removed. Most air chucks need to press on the valve core in order to open. The good air chucks have a taper to the release valve that will allow it to open when it contacts the outside rim of the valve stem, even when there is no core in the stem.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I do know this. You want one that will open and release air even when there is no core in the valve stem. It's much easier to seat the bead of a newly installed tire with the core removed. Most air chucks need to press on the valve core in order to open. The good air chucks have a taper to the release valve that will allow it to open when it contacts the outside rim of the valve stem, even when there is no core in the stem.
my Snap On chuck works that way, but at $160 may be more than most people want to spend

the gauge in it only reads to the nearest 5psi (20psi min, 160 psi max) but can easily estimate to ½psi with accuracy when I bother to check with my Accugauge

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My cheap one does. I think I got it at Pep Boys. If you look closely at the valve in the chuck you can see the required taper.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The small hand pumps that are used for charging air shocks, available at bicycle shops and many motorcycle shops, usually have no-loss fittings to prevent pressure loss from the tiny systems when disconnecting the fitting. My local bike shop had units with 300 psi range, not too useful. The motorcycle shop (otherwise identical, I'd say) pricier units are more useful with 60 psi range. They stay sealed until the Schrader valve in the stem has closed.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
my Snap On chuck works that way, but at $160 may be more than most people want to spend

the gauge in it only reads to the nearest 5psi (20psi min, 160 psi max) but can easily estimate to ½psi with accuracy when I bother to check with my Accugauge
I have never regretted paying higher prices for any of the Snap On tools I have.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A Snap-On air chuck is $9.90, and it looks like every other air chuck I've seen except for the brass body.
https://store.snapon.com/Closed-Air-Chucks-Air-Chuck-Angled-1-1-2--P647712.aspx

The Snap-On inflator/pressure gauge at $160 seems less useful for bikes than the Snap-On $88 version with 2 psi increments on the gauge. Both have the dual foot chuck which I don't know even fits a strom with straight valve stems, and if it does, is doing things the hard way. I've used Snap-On, Armstrong, Williams, Proto, Mac, Matco, Wera, Felo, Bahco, Bondhus, and other brands of tools, and Snap-On is the prettiest, sometimes thinner wall, and not worth my money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts