StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...some time back I was messing around with Inkscape and I created this design for a helmet decal. The file is in .svg format. I don't have the 650 any more, but I wanted to make the design available to anyone who wanted to use it. I believe that a graphics shop can use svg files to create custom vinyl, but I was just going to use an inkjet printer with UV resistant overspray to make a helmet decal. If you have Inkscape, you can tweak the image to your own liking.

Trouble is, I don't know how to post the file for everyone to use. Even when it's compressed as a zip file, it's too big (around 400 KB) to post here. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Hey all...some time back I was messing around with Inkscape and I created this design for a helmet decal. The file is in .svg format. I don't have the 650 any more, but I wanted to make the design available to anyone who wanted to use it. I believe that a graphics shop can use svg files to create custom vinyl, but I was just going to use an inkjet printer with UV resistant overspray to make a helmet decal. If you have Inkscape, you can tweak the image to your own liking.

Trouble is, I don't know how to post the file for everyone to use. Even when it's compressed as a zip file, it's too big (around 400 KB) to post here. Any suggestions?
Just an idea, but maybe post it out to drop box (or similar) site, and give it public access? BTW, nice work.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Zekester. I take it they also have a public setting that allows anyone to access a specific file without compromising anything else in the account?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Thanks, Zekester. I take it they also have a public setting that allows anyone to access a specific file without compromising anything else in the account?
Well, personally I don't use Drop Box, but I do use Google Drive, and it has a way to share a file to "Public on the web", which is then accessible only via a specific, known link. I would imagine any other cloud-based storage (Drop Box, One Drive, etc.) would be similar.

Here's a link for DropBox, if that's what you plan to use:

How do I share a file or folder with others?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the zip file link, and it works for downloading the file as an .svg file. Thanks again, hope someone can use it.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I checked the zip file link, and it works for downloading the file as an .svg file. Thanks again, hope someone can use it.
When I opened the image link in Firefox it displayed the SVG file however there was no simply way to save just the image. Right-click didn't have a "Save Image As" option. The easiest way around that was to just stick it in a Zip file.

Glad to help. Hope folks can get some use from it.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neat-o, how do we make a sticker out of it? I'd plaster that sucker on my saddle bag for sure.
The sell decal paper on Amazon (or you can get it in some of the better-stocked art supply stores) that work with a standard inkjet printers. If your saddlebags are dark colored then you need white decal paper, but you can use clear paper over a light colored object. You just print the decal on the paper, wait til the ink dries, then spray it with a clear UV resistant fixative spray (also sold on Amazon). Cut the decal out, dip it in water until it releases from the backing, then put it on the bike. Let it dry, and there ya go. Waterslides aren't as durable as vinyl, but they are probably easier to work with. They also make vinyl decal paper that works with inkjet printers. Bear in mind that I haven't tried this yet, but I've read about it. Here's a link to an on-line supplier of decal paper and related stuff.

I hope this works for someone; I'd love to be riding down the road someday and see my design on someone's helmet or bike.

Waterproof Inkjet Winyl Self-Adhesive Media

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You tech savvy devil you. Or take take the info to the sticker maker? Might be a neat deal.
That too. That's going to be a lot more expensive, especially if you just want to make one. That's why I was going to use the inkjet method; it's a cheap and dirty alternative.

A custom graphics shop should be able to use an .svg file without a problem though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts