StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every winter there is a group that goes out. I'm not sure how much the Vstrom is capable of, but I am very, very interested in heading out. Anyone done it on a stock-ish Vstrom? I know there is lots of paved, but I'd be particularly interested in getting to the Ranch, and to the racetrack.

There's probably a thread around here somewhere that I missed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am interested as well. I'll be in that area this weekend and possibly next as well. It sounds like it would be fun. I don't know the area very well but i'd be willing to tag along...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know the area either, so it would definitely be a full adventure. I know the guys on ADV do it every year, but that seems more oriented towards dirt bikes or true dual sports.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Death Valley

I don't know the area either, so it would definitely be a full adventure. I know the guys on ADV do it every year, but that seems more oriented towards dirt bikes or true dual sports.
Not true about dualsports. Tons of great stuff to see in Death Valley on a Vstrom. Go do it and you will have no regrets. Scotty's Castle, Furnace Creek museum, Badwater, Charcoal kilns etc. Just a few mentioned.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Death Valley this winter

I really want to make a run there as well. Here's the link to the Adventure rider noob Death Valley rally for 2011
nOObs rALLy DV march MADness 2011 - ADVrider

I think it may be filled up now. I just just joined advrider the other day and found out about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not true about dualsports. Tons of great stuff to see in Death Valley on a Vstrom. Go do it and you will have no regrets. Scotty's Castle, Furnace Creek museum, Badwater, Charcoal kilns etc. Just a few mentioned.
I was there many years ago and if I recall correctly the road to Scotty's castle is paved. The road to Badwater was closed so I can't say about that one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was there many years ago and if I recall correctly the road to Scotty's castle is paved. The road to Badwater was closed so I can't say about that one.
Yeah, it is paved to Scotty's Castle and also to Badwater. There are a few sites that you have to ride some dirt to get to. Not a problem on a Vstrom.
I rode my DR650 through Titus Canyon a while back. A confident rider could take a Strom through it as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was there in October on the Wee and there is tons of stuff that is strom-worthy. I needed time more than ground clearance. The only thing hateful I found was about 10 miles of soft sand by the airport. That said, there is a lot of harder stuff that I would not venture on with a Strom. The ranger we talked to was really knowledgable about the level of difficulty of the roads/trails and attuned to the differences between adventure bikes, dirt bikes and 4wd. I suspect with the big rains that southern CA just had, many of the roads will be rougher than usual, but that will leave lots of terrain still doable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts