StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the Vegas area in early February with my V-Strom and a friend is bringing his TL1000R. I would like to do some enduro riding in Death Valley, but he doesn't want to. Are there any riding clubs in the area I could tag along with for a day or too?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Not sure about clubs, but I see a lot of people posting DV rides at ADV. You should be able to find some people that are game with some notice.

I have not been there yet and in the planning stages for a ride around that time. I was planning going from Lone Pine to Vegas, but would consider reversing that route.

When you say enduro riding??? I am just trying to find some easy dirt roads to points of interest to get me off the pavement for short distances, but struggling with that on Mapquest and Google Maps. Post back here as your ride gets closer. Maybe this could build as a group ride with some others here. I just want to get Joshua Tree out of the way first...never been there either for some reason.

Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Joshua Tree?

I just want to get Joshua Tree out of the way first...never been there either for some reason.

Jim

When are you planning on doing a ride in Joshua Tree? I've been by it dozens of times, including several times on my DL650, and yet I've also never really been there. But it has definitely peaked my interest.

I'm pretty sure there are some dirt roads open to street legal vehicles that would be perfect for a V-Strom.

If you're interested in putting something together, whether it be a day thing, or even an overnight camping trip, I'd be very interested.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Check out my2wheels.com
Some guys just rode asphalt through Death Valley yesterday.
But there is a mix primarily dirt oriented rides on that site
Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about clubs, but I see a lot of people posting DV rides at ADV. You should be able to find some people that are game with some notice.

I have not been there yet and in the planning stages for a ride around that time. I was planning going from Lone Pine to Vegas, but would consider reversing that route.

When you say enduro riding??? I am just trying to find some easy dirt roads to points of interest to get me off the pavement for short distances, but struggling with that on Mapquest and Google Maps. Post back here as your ride gets closer. Maybe this could build as a group ride with some others here. I just want to get Joshua Tree out of the way first...never been there either for some reason.

Jim
I was reading the AMA's Ride Guide to America, and the "Badwater and Death Valley Junction" ride piqued my interest. The author talks about some dirt roads that sound pretty fun, but I wouldn't want to go exploring alone. I tried to convince my TLR friend to ride my wife's wee, but he doesn't see the excitement of dirt/gravel roads on anything but a dirt bike.

When I say 'enduro riding' I mean gravel roads, or what we call fire roads here in Canada. Nothing too extreme, just off the beaten path.

I was thinking of riding from Vegas to Lone Pine and back.

Noel.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
When are you planning on doing a ride in Joshua Tree? I've been by it dozens of times, including several times on my DL650, and yet I've also never really been there. But it has definitely peaked my interest.

I'm pretty sure there are some dirt roads open to street legal vehicles that would be perfect for a V-Strom.

If you're interested in putting something together, whether it be a day thing, or even an overnight camping trip, I'd be very interested.

Jeremy
Was thinking about the week after Thanksgiving. Would be a one day loop for me. Ride Joshua Tree heading north and cut right on Old Dale Road, which looks like a nice dirt road according to pictures a BMW guy posted on ADV recently. Then head to Pioneertown on 247 for a rest and back to the concrete jungle.

Jim

-----//------

I was reading the AMA's Ride Guide to America, and the "Badwater and Death Valley Junction" ride piqued my interest. The author talks about some dirt roads that sound pretty fun, but I wouldn't want to go exploring alone. I tried to convince my TLR friend to ride my wife's wee, but he doesn't see the excitement of dirt/gravel roads on anything but a dirt bike.

When I say 'enduro riding' I mean gravel roads, or what we call fire roads here in Canada. Nothing too extreme, just off the beaten path.

I was thinking of riding from Vegas to Lone Pine and back.

Noel.
I was looking on MapSource and there is about a 6 mile dirt road (Wild Rose I think) that goes through Trona. Wasn't sure how doable it is, or if it is even worth the trouble. Also, the book I have says there is a 6 1/2 mile unpaved road around Emigrant Canyon to a Boomtown (Eureka Mineshaft)? Figure I will follow some of the other threads and try making heads or tales of things before getting blasted for not doing a search. I have definitely been doing the research, but spinning my wheels. Too much area to try and cover in a day or two like I am trying to do.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts