Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me on my 650 and a buddy on his 250cc Chinese adventure bike left from the CA high desert on Thursday morning. We worked our way up highway 395 stopping at Fossil Falls, Whitney Portal and on up to the Patriarch Grove of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. The first day was mostly paved with only about 25-30 miles of dirt roads.

Fossil Falls

Whitney Portal

The hills have eyes on Whitney Portal road
11,000’ marker on the way to the Patriarch Grove

Day two took us from our campground in Big Pine CA into Death Valley to Beatty NV
An old sulfer mine

Crankshaft Junction. About a mile before this sign, after maybe 30 miles of dirt, we came upon a couple from Germany. They were in a rented Range Rover with a flat tire. They had been stranded for an hour or two by the time we showed up. They were unable to loosen the lug nuts and only had one liter of water per person. I loosened the nuts and asked if they could handle it from there. They needed more help as neither of them had ever changed a tire before. I thought that was odd but they explained they always take trains and subways where they live so they had never experienced a flat tire.

Teakettle Junction. Apparently it’s good luck to bring a signed teakettle and hang it here.

This is the Racetrack in Death Valley. The “snail track” is left from the rock sliding across the desert floor. A combination of ice, water and wind move the rocks ever so slowly across the ground.

The China bike doesn’t have the range of my 650 but he came prepared
A couple pics from Rhyolite NV

On day one, my buddy fell in some sand. By the end of day two, his fan had worn through the radiator cooling channels in two spots. I had a tube of JB Water Weld in my tool tube. We covered the holes as best we could and let it cure overnight.

Repairs were completed in the parking lot of the Atomic Inn about 200 miles from home. This guy stood guard throughout the night.

Instead of looking for a little ray of sunshine, we found a tiny patch of shade along Wildrose road before dropping into the valley.

We cut the trip short by one day and missed some of our planned adventures in Death Valley. Most importantly, we made it home safely under our own power without losing a drop of coolant. I’m super happy with the results of the JB Weld repair.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Cool report, great pics. Lots to see and do if you have the time!
Is that one of the CSC bikes? How did it fair on the highway or was there an intentional relaxed pace?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool report, great pics. Lots to see and do if you have the time!

Is that one of the CSC bikes? How did it fair on the highway or was there an intentional relaxed pace?

Yes it’s a CSC. He has about 5000 miles on it. He’s never been afraid to wring it out on the highway. He maintains 70 ok until the hills come and slow his progress. Passing needs to be planned well in advance and a downhill run helps. 84 mph is the fastest I’ve seen him go and he said it was well into redline territory.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
nice trip! I frequent many of those places often. I will be headed that way next month once it cools a little. Good for you for taking Death Valley road on the strom. Eureka Valley is a favorite with 600 ft sand dunes and petroglyphs.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Very Cool, the CSC looks like a neat little bike. Your new German friends should be very thankful you came along. Not a place to be stranded without water.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good for you for taking Death Valley road on the strom.
Thanks it was a lot of fun. I didn’t drop the bike but I had a couple sketchy moments as the terrain changed unexpectedly. We were planning to go to Augeberry (sp.) point and camp at Mohagany Flats but we lost a day. My original plan was to camp at Grandview Campground the first night. It was 45° at 3:30 pm and had an expected low of 20° so we road back down to Big Pine for the night.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Very nice! Kudos to you for rescuing the tourists..they are lucky you came along. I rode a CSC at the H.U. meeting in Mariposa, Ca and was impressed with it....light and fun. Glad you had a good trip, cutting a day short is much better than breaking down! Thanks for the RR!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta ask, did you ride out onto Racetrack Lake or walk over to the moving rocks?

I walked and left no trace. I saw some tire tracks and whoever made them should be glad I didn’t catch them in the act. I’m no eco nazi but I have zero tolerance for complete A-hole moves.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Great report, cool pics. I love Death Valley and vicinity.

I had the opportunity to do some riding there back in March of this year. It was the first time I’d ever been there, and it was awesome. Not at all as I expected it to be.

We also stayed at the Atomic Inn in Beatty. Cool little place.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gorgeous pics man. I rode through Death valley last year but literally just rode through it. I had no idea I missed so much!
It’s really an awesome place. I don’t want to hijack the OP’s post, but here are just a few pics of some of the sights and scenery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hqi8HGp6IB3UzVgL2

(Not sure I’m doing this right....it’s supposed to be a link to a shared Google Photos album)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gorgeous pics man. I rode through Death valley last year but literally just rode through it. I had no idea I missed so much!

Thanks, it truly is an amazing place. We had lots more planned for day four but we’ll have to save that for another trip.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts