StromTrooper banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The difference in rates is in part due to how a Vstrom is classified. I work for a medium sized insurance company and have my house, cars and 1981 Honda CB750K insured through work. A few months ago when I bought my 08 DL650, I was told that they wouldn't insure it at all because the list they use classifies it as a sport bike. They don't insure sport bikes, they only insure motorcycles with side bags and windsheilds. I told them it had side bags and a windsheild and after I showed them a photograph, they decided they could cover it.

So, if an insurance company is charging too much for your Vstrom, find one that doesn't classify as a sport bike.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The difference in rates is in part due to how a Vstrom is classified. I work for a medium sized insurance company and have my house, cars and 1981 Honda CB750K insured through work. A few months ago when I bought my 08 DL650, I was told that they wouldn't insure it at all because the list they use classifies it as a sport bike. They don't insure sport bikes, they only insure motorcycles with side bags and windsheilds. I told them it had side bags and a windsheild and after I showed them a photograph, they decided they could cover it.

So, if an insurance company is charging too much for your Vstrom, find one that doesn't classify as a sport bike.
I had a sportbike insured through Progressive for the same price as my V.It had EVERYTHING to do with me being 50,and having NO tickets!!.I tried to insure my 18 year old son with 1 ticket on the same sportbike and it was going to be $900 a year instead of the $190 a year I was paying !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a sportbike insured through Progressive for the same price as my V.It had EVERYTHING to do with me being 50,and having NO tickets!!.I tried to insure my 18 year old son with 1 ticket on the same sportbike and it was going to be $900 a year instead of the $190 a year I was paying !!.
In my case, it had nothing to do with me being over 50 with no tickets, it was all about my DL650 being listed as a sport bike. All insurance companies may not list them that way, so it pays to shop around. Paying for insurance for a teenage male driver with a ticket is a different issue. I know because I have 6 sons.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I didn't have any issues with Progressive, but I guess it helps since I am a USAA customer. USAA uses Progressive for motorcycle insurance.

Just for reference, the 2012 DL650 was cheaper than my 2005 FZ6.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In my case, it had nothing to do with me being over 50 with no tickets, it was all about my DL650 being listed as a sport bike. All insurance companies may not list them that way, so it pays to shop around. Paying for insurance for a teenage male driver with a ticket is a different issue. I know because I have 6 sons.
All the companies I contacted here listed it in the sport bike class. I tired talking to them and told them I would ride to them so show them. But it didn't help at all. I'm paying close to $1,000 a year....:headbang:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
See, if we had Blacklab as the Strom designer, we'd all be sitting in the catbird seat with low insurance rates and one fugly bike. :yesnod:

·
Registered
812 Posts
All the companies I contacted here listed it in the sport bike class. I tired talking to them and told them I would ride to them so show them. But it didn't help at all. I'm paying close to $1,000 a year....:headbang:
Wow, that's a lot. Progressive sold me a policy for $84 a year for liability for the new GStrom. Since I am financing the full coverage policy is $290 a year.

Just for reference, the FZ6 is $95 a year for liability. I didn't check, but I would bet that the FZ6 is listed as a sport bike.

I can't say enough good things about USAA. If you are a veteran you should give them a chance to save you some money. I did my research before I called them way back and JD Powers had them tied for first place with another company for customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dairyland

I've been with Dairyland for about 16 years now and have insured 8-10 bikes with them from Harley Softtail Duece to BMW LT. Most I've ever paid for one bike was $210. BMW 2009 GS Adventure I just sold was $169 a year. 2012 Vstrom Adventure charge was $406 for identical coverage as the BMW. No tickets, bankruptcies or felony convictions. WTF?

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I was at my insurance agents office (State Farm) this month paying for my 2011 Wee I asked him about my rates. Not just my rates on my bike but also on my home and cars. I thought my insurance would go down this year because I would be 50 in July. He said it would but not much only a couple of dollars. I pay $374.00 full coverage a year for the bike. Here in Michigan we have one of the highest insurance rates in the country. Part of it is because we have a unlimited medical which I just found out is going up again. Some of is because of the high unemployment rate and uninsured drivers. It is also based on the area in which you live. The next county south of us is %15 lower. When asking about house insurance rates he said they base it on the claims in the area. Since we don't have a lot of natural disaster or fires I asked what it was and he said theft. Didn't think it was right for the area I live in because we are in a small township. Don't even get me started on health insurance, all they do is take your money and don't want to pay for anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2003 DL1000, 20 years old, southern california. Perfect driving record, average credit, almost-full, $300/yr, progressive.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Not related to this thread (sorry) but :

That's a nice-looking Wee you have there Vandgo. My compliments. Very clean-looking (at least from the side). I like the white / black mix. I have a '07 blue Wee that I'm very happy with but someday in the next year or two, if I don't go for one of the new '14 Vees, I might try to set-up an '11 or a '13 white Wee / WeeII like you have yours - probably less the windscreen change because for some reason the stock Wee screen works fine for me - just so I'll have a newer-model Wee to ride in coming years. I don't know why I have a thing for white. Maybe it goes back to my first car (1960s Mustang) being white with a black vinyl top...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just got my 645cc 475lb V-Strom Adventure and insurance is $233 full for a year. Not bad except the 1700cc 800lb Roadstar Silverado I traded in was only $170 for a full year?
What is with that???? The Roadstar handled like tank and the brakes were marginal at best. I guarantee if the Roadstar fell over it would cost $1,000 to repair and two guys to get it stood back up. Not happy

·
Registered
107 Posts
2011 dl650 insurance

I just paid $259 full coverage with $3000 of accessory cover.My 93 Katana1100 was only $75 for third party cover.Both have uninsured motorist cover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Insurance in SC. Thanks to all the helmetless Asshats out there. Oh, and I have a clean record and decent credit.

Coverage & Premium Information

Suzuk

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY

$53.00

BI $25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT

PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UNINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY $47.00

$25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY $149.00

$25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UM PROPERTY DAMAGE $25,000 LESS $200 DEDUCTIBLE

$5.00