StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from riding Deals Gap.. The dragon, great smokey mountains, The ride was beautiful, very scenic area.. perfect weather. I loved the DL650, although I have it for sale over in the classifieds, it's very fun & I would have about 5 bikes if I could afford them.
As for the route I took i75 down to 640 East went through Sevierville, TN, then Piegeon Forge.. Then Gatlynburg.. Then through the smokey mnts. and over to cherokee Indian village.. then.. I took a road I don't remember over to the the famous 129.. which is the dragon and the Same area were they filmed some of the "The Fugitive" movie.. if you remember Harrison Ford jumping off the Dam.. you'll see that on 129, just before you enter the Dragon... after that it was through down town Knxoville and back to London, Ky almost 500 miles.. but an easy trip on the comfortable DL650. I don't think I would change a thing on the bike.. maybe something to cover the oil filter, it scares me the way it's unprotected..but I never go off road.. so it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
It has been about 2 weeks since I visited Deals Gap. Incredible! The weather was in the 70's and NO RAIN. If anyone is going to go they also need to check out the Charohala Skyway. Not as technical as the Dragon but long sweeping corners and plenty of things to see. You should also take Highway 129 south of the Dragon, go through the town of Topton. Take 19/74 northeast about 2 miles to a road called Wayha. It makes the Dragon look like the Bonneville Salt Flats. NO room for error and will definitely remove the "chicken strips" from the sides of your tires.
The Best Western in Sweetwater, TN is biker friendly and if you need a room is pretty cool. They will give you a pink pig for staying the night and if I had had the time I would have gone and found that Harley rider and shoved that pink pig up his exhaust pipe (not the bikes). Later.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Two motorcycles collided and went over side.
One dead. This is what I mean about going on weekends. I'd bet even money one was a squid thinking he's hot stuff.
Survivor is lucky - some riders heard his cry for help 24 hrs after it happened.

Reactions: despling

·
Registered
292 Posts
Two motorcycles collided and went over side.
One dead. This is what I mean about going on weekends. I'd bet even money one was a squid thinking he's hot stuff.
Survivor is lucky - some riders heard his cry for help 24 hrs after it happened.
Nope.. One was a cruiser, one was an ADV bike.. Shit happens.. The majority of traffic on the Gap nowadays is Harleys..

.....and HOLY OLD THREAD Batman....

·
Registered
858 Posts
Nope.. One was a cruiser, one was an ADV bike.. Shit happens.. The majority of traffic on the Gap nowadays is Harleys..
.....and HOLY OLD THREAD Batman....
I would agree about the Harleys - and there's the trailers to prove it. ;)
Problem comes in the squids are trying to prove they can fly up the Dragon in record time and show their mad skilz. They run into the stodgy Harleys who *very* often cut the corners - especially some of the switchbacks that go up on the far side - OR they cross over to a pullout to ratchetjaw with their buddies coming back.
This article was dated just yesterday - but it appears I goofed on the place to post it. I was looking for the one posted last week - my bad.
Oct. 17, 2016: One man survived a fall more than 80 feet down a mountain after a motorcycle crash on "The Dragon." He wasn't rescued for more than 24 hours.

·
Administrator
13,910 Posts
I would agree about the Harleys - and there's the trailers to prove it. ;)
Problem comes in the squids are trying to prove they can fly up the Dragon in record time and show their mad skilz. They run into the stodgy Harleys who *very* often cut the corners - especially some of the switchbacks that go up on the far side - OR they cross over to a pullout to ratchetjaw with their buddies coming back.
This article was dated just yesterday - but it appears I goofed on the place to post it. I was looking for the one posted last week - my bad.
My wife Sandy and I rode our bike down to the Dragon Last week (first run through was to our hotel on Monday night.)

We came from the north and stopped at the spot where most people turn around. A Guy comes ripping up to the rest area on a Harley with a big smile on his face and shortly after a sport bike comes though with a scowl on his face and didn't stop. It was obvious the Harley rider and bested the Sport bike. I got talking with him and he confirmed it.. I am not sure which Harley it was (I think a Dyna) and he had rented it in New York City and rode down to play in the area. Looked like he was having a blast!

..Tom

·
Registered
858 Posts
LOL - I woulda paid to seen that!
Sorry if my squid bias is showing - those were my old stomping grounds and I got SO tired of them little bastards taking curves wide and generally hauling ass in an irresponsible way.
I was wondering if they still sold Sunco 104 at the gas station coming in - I think it was called Icon or something.
If we were making a multi-day out of it we rode in on the Cherohala Skyway and either stayed at the Iron Horse or the Two Wheel Inn which has a small garage next to your rental - cool idea!
Ahhhh I miss it this time of year with the leaves changing.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I miss the gap. Used to be a regular but it's just too crowded now. The mix of sportbike wannabe racers and couch riders that can afford a bike and suddenly believe they are a biker is just too much for me to comprehend. I'm not saying I will never go back but if and when I do it will not be on a weekend. Friday thru Monday-never.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've been riding for 20+ years and never heard the term "squid" before. Had to look it up. Made me laugh. We just call them douchebags around here..

Douchebag works. I think it sums it up a little better actually because you don't have to Google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Everyone should ride the Dragon at least once.

Even though I live less than 2 hrs from it I have not been on it since the late 90's. Since then it's popularity has shot up too much for my taste. Speed limit has been reduced, commercial photo takers( I do enjoy the crash pic's though), droves of riders wearing degrading costumes, other riders out to set a land speed record mixed in with the weekend riders. On weekends it is really a carnival type setting.

If you want to ride it and avoid the zoo go on a weekday and go early just after the dew has burned off.

If you want to see the elephant, put on all your armor, go on a Saturday after noon and make sure your Meteor dodging skills are at their max.

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
"Used to be a regular but it's just too crowded now."

Sounds like a lot of roads on the West Coast too. Dawn Patrol doesn't get much traffic but the lighting my be crappy. We head down the hill when the hooligan racer want to be's and cruisers start showing up.
Sad to see the Porche and sport car guys parading up the mountain at 25-30 mph. Traffic just gets too heavy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live near Knoxville, TN about an hour from the Dragon. My favorite day trip is to leave the house on Friday morning so I hit the Dragon about 9:00. I usually have it pretty much to myself. Recently I ran the entire 11 miles without overtaking or being overtaken by a single vehicle. It was glorious! I then cruise some of the western North Carolina roads making my way down to the Cherohala Skyway. That is a fabulous 50 mile ride back into Tennessee. It then have about a 90 minute cruise back to the house. Great day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts