StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Planning on doing BRP + The Dragon + The Diamond Back + The Rattler in 2 weeks(ish).

Was planning on hitting Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort as a stopping point before doing The Dragon. That way I could ride it early in the morning with the sun behind me (being able to see curves is important as I learned in California on Carmel Valley Road).

My question(s) -

Is the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort decent?

If I arrive late in the day (6 or 7pm) will I be able to get a spot to pitch my tent?

Are there alternatives to the Deals Gap resort in that area that would be better (I'm tent camping)?

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
IronHorse Campground/Lodge/Cabins/Bunkhouse..........none better. We have the Vstrom East Rally there year after year........for a reason!! Go to the "Events" section of the forum to see pics.......the Vstrom East Rally. The Horse is only 30 minutes or so from the Dragon. Robbinsville is only 10 minutes away for all of your supplies..........except booze/beer (Dry County).
+1.

They even have a home-away from home theatre.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The dragon is pretty much enclosed under trees. So, it really doesn't matter what time of day you run it.
What would be more important is timing. We like to run it before 9am and after 7pm. Otherwise, it is like a slow moving roller coaster.

As for camping, it gets pretty busy in the summer time. Best to give them a quick call and see if there is room. Also check out the Ironhorse, like was mentioned before.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Is the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort decent?

If I arrive late in the day (6 or 7pm) will I be able to get a spot to pitch my tent?

Are there alternatives to the Deals Gap resort in that area that would be better (I'm tent camping)?
Q1. yeah
Q2. no problem
Q3. yeah there are others in the area. IMHO, deal's gap is best because its close to town. 12 miles to robbinsville NC.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for inputs

I plan on running the dragon east to west before 0800. I'm an early riser (0600) and figure I can get a good meal with some coffee before I hit the road.

This being my first time on the dragon I plan to take it slow. No wish to "prove my skills" on an unknown road. People that do that ... well ... :thumbdown:

I'll check out the ironhorse as well. However.... dry county... does that mean I can't have a nice rum at the camp?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for inputs

I plan on running the dragon east to west before 0800. I'm an early riser (0600) and figure I can get a good meal with some coffee before I hit the road.

This being my first time on the dragon I plan to take it slow. No wish to "prove my skills" on an unknown road. People that do that ... well ... :thumbdown:

I'll check out the ironhorse as well. However.... dry county... does that mean I can't have a nice rum at the camp?
You can have all the rum you want. Ya just have to furnish your own, can't buy it in that county.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll bring my own. I can get Cap'n Morgan Private stock for a few bucks cheaper than average on base :thumbup: One bottle will last me the trip.

I looked into Ironhorse - you guys are right. That place looks stellar. Plus they do breakfast & dinner :thumbup: Think I'll be camping there.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground

I can HIGHLY recommend the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Cruso. I have stayed there five times over the years. It is a gorgeous location beside a shallow boulder river with cabins, shady trees and a huge amount of grass tent space. They have a very clean facility with showers and laundry, a store and a recreation centre. There is a kitchen/pavilion where breakfast and dinner are served. There's also a great little diner just a few miles up the road on the edge of Cruso, that has incredible meat loaf and pies! :yesnod:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground

I can HIGHLY recommend the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Cruso. I have stayed there five times over the years. It is a gorgeous location beside a shallow boulder river with cabins, shady trees and a huge amount of grass tent space. They have a very clean facility with showers and laundry, a store and a recreation centre. There is a kitchen/pavilion where breakfast and dinner are served. There's also a great little diner just a few miles up the road on the edge of Cruso, that has incredible meat loaf and pies! :yesnod:
It's also close to semi-fine dining with a view: the Pisgah Inn.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
It's also close to semi-fine dining with a view: the Pisgah Inn.
Is that near or in the Mt Pisgah State Park? I camped there once also and seem to remember a restaurant nearby.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'll bring my own. I can get Cap'n Morgan Private stock for a few bucks cheaper than average on base :thumbup: One bottle will last me the trip.
There are some gravel tent sites at the Iron Horse which are pretty nice, especially when it rains. If you end up passing the bottle around at the fire pit, you can always resupply in Bryson City, NC, about 30 miles to the East of the Iron Horse.

The deal with dry counties in NC is:

Municipalities within a dry county can decide to allow alcohol, the unincorporated areas of the dry county cannot. In "wet" towns within dry counties you can buy beer and wine in grocery stores. Hard liquor is sold only in ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) stores which are closed on Sundays. Restaurants, bars and nightclubs in "wet towns can serve beer and wine and some add liquor to the menu. Also, many Country Clubs within unincorporated parts of dry counties in North Carolina (due to effective lobbying, no doubt) serve beer, wine and liquor.

Confusing eh?

In order to keep it simple, the locals have developed a parallel system. Many gas station attendedants, flowershop owners and clinical psychologists can probably hook you up with some "Popcorn".

Tell them you don't want the phoney crap Kid Rock drinks.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Don't count on much sleep at the Deal's Gap resort. No way in hell would I stay there in the midst of all those squids and pirates and their woo girls.

Time of day doesn't matter as far as the sun -- it's almost all shaded. The idjits usually don't start hitting the road (literally) until 10:00 and they're usually all tuckered out by 4:00 and working on the next hangover at the resort.

Get up early or head up late, and enjoy. Leave time to try it out both ways, then get the hell away from the crowds and go enjoy the 11,000,000,000 other great roads in the area. :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Is that near or in the Mt Pisgah State Park? I camped there once also and seem to remember a restaurant nearby.
It's in the Southern section of Pisgah National Forest. Between Brevard and Waynesville, NC on US276. From Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground you head up US276 (left) to the Blue Ridge Parkway (about 5 twisty miles) turn right (North) and go about 3 miles. The Pisgah Inn will be on your right.

There's camping across the road from the Inn and along the Forest Service Roads in the Pisgah Forest and near Brevard at Davison River Campground. From the dining room of the Pisgah Inn look to the Southeast. Eight miles away across Grindstone Ridge and Tarklin Mountain with X-Ray binoculars you could see my back porch.

Next time you make it down here, give me a holler. If I have some time I can show you cool stuff you may have missed before.

Cheers,

Norm

PS, The Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is about 120 miles East of Deal's Gasp.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
It's in the Southern section of Pisgah National Forest. Between Brevard and Waynesville, NC on US276. From Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground you head up US276 (left) to the Blue Ridge Parkway (about 5 twisty miles) turn right (North) and go about 3 miles. The Pisgah Inn will be on your right.

There's camping across the road from the Inn and along the Forest Service Roads in the Pisgah Forest and near Brevard at Davison River Campground. From the dining room of the Pisgah Inn look to the Southeast. Eight miles away across Grindstone Ridge and Tarklin Mountain with X-Ray binoculars you could see my back porch.

Next time you make it down here, give me a holler. If I have some time I can show you cool stuff you may have missed before.

Cheers,

Norm

PS, The Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is about 120 miles East of Deal's Gasp.
National Forest camping across the road from the Inn...that was it! That particular trip was quite a few years ago and the details of many trips all begin to run together after a while. :mrgreen:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
National Forest camping across the road from the Inn...that was it! That particular trip was quite a few years ago and the details of many trips all begin to run together after a while. :mrgreen:
I look forward to such memory gaps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was on the Dragon last Sat. at 8:30 am, and passed through 2 radar squads. I only saw a handful of bikes at that time. The cops have been patrolling more heavily recently. Also, motorcycle cops are nailing bikes on the Chilhowee Lake side between the Dragon and Foothills Parkway. (flat 4 mile or so stretch)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts