StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting all summer for next week and the weather is looking pretty good. If any other Strommers are going to be out and about next week, look for me and say hi :)

Tuesday, September 4th going down the BRP to Willville Motorcycle Campground in Meadows of Dan, VA to spend the night. Going to stay at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (in a tent) in Stecoah, NC Wed, Thurs and Friday night and plan to ride the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Bridal Veil Falls and whatever else interesting I can find while I'm there. I did it last year too but stayed in Maggie Valley. Heading home Saturday and Sunday, not sure yet about where I'm spending Saturday night.

Hope to see you out there somewhere!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Give me a holler, I may be at the Iron Horse Friday night.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm leaving in a couple hours heading that way. i'll be at blue ridge mc campground for the first 2/3 nights then making my way to willville, via hot springs... black adventure and yellow helmet just in case...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I missed everyone but I didn't get much internet time. I left Tuesday and it was foggy and raining on the BRP. I was going to stay Tuesday night at Willville but when I got there it was an absolute deluge so I decided to opt for a motel and get things dried out. I made a loop through the campground and did see a tent with a V-Strom out front. Tuesday night I stayed at the Knight's Inn in Galax, VA. It's a good place to go. Cheap and the rooms are fine, but I don't plan to spend my next honeymoon there. There's a place there to park out of the weather and it's pretty close to I-77. Got all dried out (found a laundromat close by and threw a few things in the dryer including my boots). Stopped by a Wal-Mart and found a waterproof stuff sack for my sleeping bag. Took I-77 and I-40 to the Asheville area. Got in a heavy downpour about an hour before Asheville but I was packed drier this time. Then 74 and 28 to the Iron Horse Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway and by the time I got there my boots had dried back out. I was really surprised by how nice it was. Not too many people there when I got there so I had my choice of campsites, but it so happened to be a weekend meeting for Horizons Unlimited. Welcome! | Horizons Unlimited It got crowded but also a good opportunity to meet some other adventure bike types. Lots of BMW’s, KLR 650’s and several V-Stroms. One of the most interesting guys was from Canada on a BMW. He had been in every country in North and South America in the past 13 months (his bike looked like it) and was making his way back home. On Thursday I did the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway alone and that was about it, stopped a lot so it took up most of the day. Thursday night the place was pretty full and I met up with a group and we went riding from about 9 till 7 on Friday. Cherohala again and stopped at Tellico Plains at a motorcycle supplies shop, I think it was Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. The owner is really friendly and told us about some less traveled back roads so we did a loop from Tellico through the mountains and back to Tellico then the Cherohala again in the opposite direction back to Iron Horse. The group included another on a Wee, a Tiger, some BMW’s, a Tenere and a Suzuki cruiser. I had trouble keeping up with most of them and a lot of times I didn’t. Not sure why you would ride through the twisties standing up, apparently that’s an adventure rider thing that I wasn’t aware of before. Sort of like Harley guys revving their engines while they’re backing into a parking spot. :mrgreen: Thursday and Friday were my planned riding days and the weather was beautiful both days. Saturday headed home and it was rainy again, rode north on the BRP again but it was taking too long so I got on 40 and 77 and stayed at the same motel in Galax again Saturday night. Windy and raining most of that leg of the trip, I have discovered that I would rather ride in the rain than in the wind any day. Sunday was sunny and a lot cooler, glad I took some extra clothes. Interstate to Skyline Drive, then to 29 north through Culpeper and home last night about 5. A little under 2000 miles and the bike didn’t miss a beat. I was surprised how many people were interested in it (a few “Hey, that’s a beautiful bike!” comments). On this trip I learned that I need to pack less, get a bigger tent and get waterproof gloves and boots. And that waterproofing spray on boots don’t really do all that much good. But I’m ready to do it again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
i can't begin to tell you how rained out I got...so much so that i Left the mountain 4 days early! first 10 minutes in blueridge mc campground, someone stole my 12 year old mc jacket off my seat while i was in the office registering!!! right there by the porch!!! so Sunday's ride was a necessity to tellico to by a jacket-KLIM Traverse (now I need the pants to match because the jacket rocks!!!!) On tues, I headed for the HEART OF NORTH CAROLINA where i search out dirt roads, looked up old friends and put on a birthday party for my 80 year old mother. BUT...i'm planning another trip to the smokies possibly october 6-14, and part of that time...wife has not decided if she can go yet. If camping is available, i'll definitely be going weekend of Nov 3rd and maybe a day or two on each end IF ANYONE WANTS TO JOIN UP.

my only dry picture!

·
Adventure Traveler
285 Posts
Sorry I missed everyone but I didn't get much internet time. I left Tuesday and it was foggy and raining on the BRP. I was going to stay Tuesday night at Willville but when I got there it was an absolute deluge so I decided to opt for a motel and get things dried out. I made a loop through the campground and did see a tent with a V-Strom out front. Tuesday night I stayed at the Knight's Inn in Galax, VA. It's a good place to go. Cheap and the rooms are fine, but I don't plan to spend my next honeymoon there. There's a place there to park out of the weather and it's pretty close to I-77. Got all dried out (found a laundromat close by and threw a few things in the dryer including my boots). Stopped by a Wal-Mart and found a waterproof stuff sack for my sleeping bag. Took I-77 and I-40 to the Asheville area. Got in a heavy downpour about an hour before Asheville but I was packed drier this time. Then 74 and 28 to the Iron Horse Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway and by the time I got there my boots had dried back out. I was really surprised by how nice it was. Not too many people there when I got there so I had my choice of campsites, but it so happened to be a weekend meeting for Horizons Unlimited. Welcome! | Horizons Unlimited It got crowded but also a good opportunity to meet some other adventure bike types. Lots of BMW’s, KLR 650’s and several V-Stroms. One of the most interesting guys was from Canada on a BMW. He had been in every country in North and South America in the past 13 months (his bike looked like it) and was making his way back home. On Thursday I did the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway alone and that was about it, stopped a lot so it took up most of the day. Thursday night the place was pretty full and I met up with a group and we went riding from about 9 till 7 on Friday. Cherohala again and stopped at Tellico Plains at a motorcycle supplies shop, I think it was Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. The owner is really friendly and told us about some less traveled back roads so we did a loop from Tellico through the mountains and back to Tellico then the Cherohala again in the opposite direction back to Iron Horse. The group included another on a Wee, a Tiger, some BMW’s, a Tenere and a Suzuki cruiser. I had trouble keeping up with most of them and a lot of times I didn’t. Not sure why you would ride through the twisties standing up, apparently that’s an adventure rider thing that I wasn’t aware of before. Sort of like Harley guys revving their engines while they’re backing into a parking spot. :mrgreen: Thursday and Friday were my planned riding days and the weather was beautiful both days. Saturday headed home and it was rainy again, rode north on the BRP again but it was taking too long so I got on 40 and 77 and stayed at the same motel in Galax again Saturday night. Windy and raining most of that leg of the trip, I have discovered that I would rather ride in the rain than in the wind any day. Sunday was sunny and a lot cooler, glad I took some extra clothes. Interstate to Skyline Drive, then to 29 north through Culpeper and home last night about 5. A little under 2000 miles and the bike didn’t miss a beat. I was surprised how many people were interested in it (a few “Hey, that’s a beautiful bike!” comments). On this trip I learned that I need to pack less, get a bigger tent and get waterproof gloves and boots. And that waterproofing spray on boots don’t really do all that much good. But I’m ready to do it again!
I was at that Horizons Unlimited rally. I saw your bike parked there one day... Didn't see it the next, I was looking to see who it belonged to so I could introduce myself. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was at that Horizons Unlimited rally. I saw your bike parked there one day... Didn't see it the next, I was looking to see who it belonged to so I could introduce myself. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.
Sorry I missed you. I got there Wednesday afternoon and left Saturday morning. Sometimes I parked under the shelter and sometimes by the tent. I pretty much spent all day Thursday and Friday out riding. Maybe next time!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can't begin to tell you how rained out I got...so much so that i Left the mountain 4 days early! first 10 minutes in blueridge mc campground, someone stole my 12 year old mc jacket off my seat while i was in the office registering!!! right there by the porch!!! so Sunday's ride was a necessity to tellico to by a jacket-KLIM Traverse (now I need the pants to match because the jacket rocks!!!!) On tues, I headed for the HEART OF NORTH CAROLINA where i search out dirt roads, looked up old friends and put on a birthday party for my 80 year old mother. BUT...i'm planning another trip to the smokies possibly october 6-14, and part of that time...wife has not decided if she can go yet. If camping is available, i'll definitely be going weekend of Nov 3rd and maybe a day or two on each end IF ANYONE WANTS TO JOIN UP.

my only dry picture!
Well dang, that sux. I left all sorts of stuff hanging off my bike at the Iron Horse and no problems, and I didn't hear of anyone else having any problems with stuff walking away. If you get up in this area, I have stayed at Seneca Shadows campground, WV and also Holly River State Park in WV, both really nice. If you are on the BR parkway, Peaks of Otter is good and if you're further north on Skyline Drive, Lewis Mountain is OK too. And of course the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Robbinsville, NC.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
first 10 minutes in blueridge mc campground, someone stole my 12 year old mc jacket off my seat while i was in the office registering!!! right there by the porch!!!
I'm sad to hear that.

I hope it was stolen by a visiting Floridian.

I've been hearing an increasing number of accounts like this in the region in the past year.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
the tent is a REDVZ expedition 2. i don't like parking my bike inside as i use the vestibule area to 'live' in. it opens up to enjoy the outside and zip it for night/rain/security. i've got a ride scheduled for oct 6-14 that i hope to ride from cherokee up into west va. but...my wife has not decided yet. she wants me to take the truck with the bike on a trailer, kayaks on top of the truck, and go for 3 or 4 days. i like for her to go. we do different things like cooking feast over a fire, hiking, riding the bike for a few hours at a time vs all day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts