StromTrooper banner

Dealership/Suzuki Canada experiences

7K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  WeeRob 
#1 ·
I have noticed that many people seem to have a story about trying to get accessories from their dealership or Suzuki Canada. Rider-2000 had suggested that perhaps a thread to discuss both good and bad experiences with dealerships and Suzuki Canada would be a good idea. I think he is right, so here it is. Do you have a story to share concerning your experiences with your dealership or Suzuki Canada?

SS

#2 ·
I have noticed that many people seem to have a story about trying to get accessories from their dealership or Suzuki Canada. <snip>. Do you have a story to share concerning your experiences with your dealership or Suzuki Canada? SS
Recently high-sided on a gravel road and ordered the right side of my DL1000. :( My job has me traveling around SW Ontario, so using Sturgess Cycle Hamilton's parts fiche ( http://www.sturgessonline.com/fiche_select.asp ) , I took the part numbers to dealers in SW Ontario for pricing. Found on the higher priced parts the prices were close from dealer to dealer, but on smaller parts - the prices were dramatically different. Seems if the part is less then about $100, lots of dealers add a percentage that varies from dealer to dealer. The turn signals had a $20 variance from dealer to dealer. Sturgess had the lowest prices, and I have recently gone back to order a Givi engine guard ($158 CDN - which appears to have a Suzuki part number and is the price Suzuki listed on the accessories page). Most Suzuki dealerships seem disorganized - you order your parts, pay for them, they call you when they come in, and you pick them up - there is never a paper trail showing you picked them up or they ever came in. ( I have never had a screwup - but it always seems it might!) Honda dealerships (i.e. Brampton Honda) that are also auto dealerships seem much more organized - every thing is logged and tagged. Suzuki Canada seems to have a parts warehouse in Richmond Hill, and I usually get parts in 2 days through Sturgess. (I have no affiliation to Sturgess)

#3 ·
Suzuki dlr experience

Bought my '07 dl1000 from Newmarket about 2 months ago. Ordered top and side cases, bags for the interior, heated grips, centre stand and engine guards. Up until last week they still showed that I hadn't picked up most of the accessories! Follow up on back orders in non existent and while the sales rep and service have been good. I am still waiting for the Suzuki heated grips with no idea when, the givi stuff came in over a 3 week period and if I hadn't called and/or visited almost daily, I'm sure I would still be waiting along with some other v-strommer who had ordered near identical to me!

Having said that love the bike and looking forward to adding several more farkles, just not from the dealer

#4 ·
Plug for Suzuki of Newmarket

My experience in dealing with Suzuki of Newmarket for Suzuki parts has been positive. When I bought my DL650 there last April 06, I ordered Suzuki Handguards and Suzuki Engine Guards. Both products came in promptly. When I inquired about the Suzuki Gel Seat, the sales person told me straight out that they would not be getting anymore for the season. I just ordered it from Oneida and had it within a week. At the beginning of May this year, I bought a C50 at Newmarket. I ordered almost $2500 in accessories - mostly non-Suzuki - and it all arrived in a reasonable time. The only Suzuki parts were the saddlebags and brackets and they took few days longer than the other parts. The key thing is to not wait for a call from them about your orders, follow up yourself regularily after a week or so from the time the order is placed.

#5 · (Edited)
Throttlehound:

I have to say my experiences are similar to yours. Parts I have ordered came pretty much when I expected and what they couldn't get they told me about fairly quickly.

I think sometimes we expect to much from place like this. They are a discount operation selling relatively inexpensive product with fairly small margins. I think that their parts and accessory departments are chronically understaffed, and most of the time the staff are doing the best they can. The people aren't paid the greatest. That doesn't mean they shouldn't give good service but the realities of the market means that you aren't going to get the attention you might feel you should. I know when I was going to do my 12,000 km checkup I needed a set of plugs. I coudn't get in when I thought so one of the guys brought the parts home and I picked them up from his home. I thought that was above and beyond the call of duty!

I think Leigh upstairs in accessories does a great job. Most of the time I go there she is busy and by herself, but when I actually manage to talk with her she gives me great service and usually does a super job of getting me a great deal on what I want.

As far as the sales department goes: The people I have worked with have treated me well and I think given me good service. The first few times I stopped in there in the past I found it hard to get anyone's attention but when I finally did I was taken care of properly. In my case I dealt with Dan and he did a good job working out a deal on my Strom. Other people I know have dealt with other salespeople their and seem to have been treated well.. well enough to come back and buy from them again and send friends in to buy.

..Tom

#9 ·
I think Leigh upstairs in accessories does a great job. Most of the time I go there she is busy and by herself, but when I actually manage to talk with her she gives me great service and usually does a super job of getting me a great deal on what I want.
Leigh is good...just don't trust her to remember anything.

Biggest problem is that she's usually swamped. She's fixed me up on a few things and I have nothing but praise. I understand about having extra staff but I think they could pay for an assistant pretty quickly if she could spend her time selling and not hunting for stuff, or trying to deal with 6 people at a time.

#6 ·
Newmarket Suzuki

I would echo Tom's comments. I've been treated fairly, greeted warmly when I walk through the door and any services have been performed to my satisfaction (and I check when they are performed so have relatively high confidence that the right things are being done). I also dealt with Dan and felt I got a fair deal and would have no problems referring anyone to them in future, or dealng with them again when the all-new 2010 Wee comes out with 850cc, alloy rims, ABS and shaft drive comes out (Well I can dream cant I? - oh yes - and get rid of inverted bucket followers for the valve shims - I'll gladly pay the $50 for the depressor tool that allows you to remove the shim without having to remove the camshaft!).

I must be in the minority compared to some threads I read but never felt that I could really blame the dealer when it's another company that makes and ships the parts. The dealer is often held hostage as much as the customer and while it's an inconvenience perhaps, I try to remain objective about it and just ensure that the dealer is doing some kind of followup with the supplier so I'm not forgotten.

Interesting undertone in all these "stealership threads " - it's about building a relationship. I've always found when you don't deliberately crap on someone who's trying to help you, you're generally successfull more times than not. Same with just a simple greeting, clear statement of wwhat you need and respectful negotiations from there usually is all it takes.

My two cents.

Safe riding,
Bob

#7 ·
I purchased 3 new Suzuki motorcycles when I lived in Toronto. The first a VS800 Intruder from Suzuki of Brampton. Sale was fine after sales service was hit & miss. When that bike was written off by a drunk driver, they had a 1400 Intruder sitting on the floor, that I told the salesman I wanted, as soon as the paperwork cleared. B@stard sold it and said he had a "used" one comming in. 30,000km in my first season, I didn't want a "used bike"

Called Cycle City in Burlington, (ask for Sabina, tell her Night_Wolf or Mr. Intruder :p sent you) asked if they allowed Demo Rides and if they had a 1400 in stock. Affirmative on both counts so after a test ride, I put $50.00 to hold it and picked it up a cpl weeks late. Then I purchased my 05 Wee from there, again with nothing but positive experiences. Had a friend buy her 1400 Intruder from them in 2004 and I took it there a cpl times for service or warrenty work. Positive experiences for her AFAIK. I then worked for the dealership at a cpl bike shows in Toronto and sold a Strom to a nice fella named Fred :cool: I was there primarily as I knew the Intruders and having someone there who put 30,000km on a Strom in one season, was able to give people perspective from a riders, not a sales perspective :cool:

#8 · (Edited)
I bought my Wee-strom from brampton suzuki. The lack of organization at this dealer is uncanny. On top of the lack of organization they LOST my bank info and asked for me to bring it back the next day they also forgot to order my free helmet.

Basically i just said loosing the info was their fault and since i live 100kms away i will not make too trips when my helmet came in i went and got it gave em shit for looseing my paper work and then gave em the info again.

Currently for parts i use either tri-city in waterloo, or two wheeled motorsports in guelph. Two-wheels is hands down a better dealer in my books but tri-city is closer and of good integrity.

When i ordered my centerstand from tri city the ordered one for a hyabusa (one number typo). the busa stand is $100 cheaper wheni brought it back they swaped for the dl650 stand and stated since it was their screw up they would not need the extra $100.

#11 ·
Milton Motorsports

I bought my 650 abs from Newmarket in December and got it in April way after other dealers had their abs models in. I was a bit dissappointed that a high volume dealer wouldn't have had the first abs models. Anyway, Leigh was excellent and got all the farkles I needed. She also gave good advice. Unfortunately, none of my farkles were installed when I picked up the bike. This was okay because I installed them myself with no trouble and saved a few bucks. In general, I got a good deal there, but the overall service didn't inspire confidence. I have since had my servicing done at Milton Motorsports.
This is a motorcycle only dealership and they know what they are doing. So far I would recommend them!
Cheers Bill

#14 ·
......I have since had my servicing done at Milton Motorsports......

I had my first service done at Milton Motorsports. I live in Barrie so it was a real PITA but I'd heard they were supposed to be good so I figured it was worth the trouble. Was I wrong! I had been having the low speed stalling/mid-speed lean surge and I mentioned it to the service writer when I brought it in. They gave my bike to some young kid who did my oil change and sprayed the chain with lube, nothing more. Didn't inspect, tighten or adjust anything. The kid took it for a spin and said it was done. I asked about the stalling/surge and they said "that's the way these bikes run". He worked on my bill for a few minutes and said it was going to be about $300.00. I challenged him on it and the dropped the price over $100.00 with no hesitation. I was so pissed off that I paid and will never be back there. Worst $177.55 investment I've ever made.

#12 ·
I bought my 650 from Belleville Sport and Lawn. I paid $8200 +tax and there was no freight, PDI, or admin charge. I also purchased a Suzuki engine guard and centrestand, as well as the 48L top case (Givi) and rack. The dealer charged me $700 for the accessories and installed them at no charge. On top of this, I get 10% of all accessories/clothing for 1 year. Buying the bike was easy. I walked in and talked to the owner and told him I was looking for a gray DL650. He said, "I'll have one pulled from a crate for you" It was that simple. The engine guard, centrestand, and topcase rack arrived in a few days and were installed when I picked up the bike. The topcase is a different story. I have been waiting 5 weeks and the best I can hope for is the first week of July--maybe.
last week I had the bike in for the 1000km check. The cost was $56 which included adjustments and oil/filter change. This, I thought ,was very reasonable.
I tried to get handguard s from the Belleville dealer only to be told they are not available. I called Tony's cycle in kingston who ordered them for me last week. I wanted to get the tankcover from Tony's as well, but it was $10 cheaper at my dealer in Belleville. Go figure.
I looked for a skidplate all of last week and finally ordered one from Motor Sports World in Ottawa. I ordered the SW Motech which costs $208.99 CDN plus tax. This place is listed by SW Motech as 1 of 3 authorized Canadian distributers. I am calling Motor Sports World tomorrow to order the SW Motech radiator Guard. It is $107 in Ottawa.

My experience has shown me that while my local dealer may be a great place for some things, it pays to shop around. I am glad to have discovered the MS Motech dealer/supplier in Ottawa. It greatly simplifies the buying process and avoids exchange rates and other fees. I'll continue to buy from the Belleville shop as well as have some maintenance done there. But when in the market for farkles, the best price gets my business.

SS

#13 ·
Wow. $56 for 1000 km checkup. I just had mine done on my blue Wee at Cycle World West Toronto (where I bought the bike) for $171. THREE times the cost. And they kept the bike for three days! You can't book an appointment. Just show up, leave your bike and go away.

Thanks for tip on SW-Motech at the Ottawa shop. I was going to order the Motech QuickLoc sidecase rack from Twisted Throttle: $215 US. I'll see what the Ottawa shop is asking for that and the H&B aluminum sidecases ($288 US a side).

#15 ·
When you call the Ottawa shop be sure to ask for Charlie. I would suggest that if Charlie is not there, that you call back when he is. I spoke to a different guy there this morning who seemed to have considerably less knowledge than Charlie. From what I understand, if Twisted Throttle has it, it looks like the Ottawa shop can get it.

SS

#17 ·
I had to book my first service 3 weeks in advance. Right now it takes 4 weeks to get an appointment. I only went to the dealer because according to my warranty booklet I need the dealers stamp for the service. However, the dealer has informed me that now that the first service (1000km) is done, I can do the rest myself. As long as I have receipts for the oil and filter there will be no problems. Given that my 650 came with a 3 year warranty thanks to Suzuki's latest promotion, doing the maintenance myself will save a bundle. From what I have seen on this site, the V-Strom's reliability should make other trips to the dealer rare occurences.

SS

#21 ·
What promotion is that??? I wasn't told anything about a 3 yr warrenty :confused:

I had to book my first service 3 weeks in advance. Right now it takes 4 weeks to get an appointment. I only went to the dealer because according to my warranty booklet I need the dealers stamp for the service. However, the dealer has informed me that now that the first service (1000km) is done, I can do the rest myself. As long as I have receipts for the oil and filter there will be no problems. Given that my 650 came with a 3 year warranty thanks to Suzuki's latest promotion, doing the maintenance myself will save a bundle. From what I have seen on this site, the V-Strom's reliability should make other trips to the dealer rare occurences.

SS

#18 ·
I booked my first service at Two-Wheeled Motorsport in Guelph two days in advance (as opposed to the 2+ weeks that Brampton Suzuki wanted. That's where I bought my bike, for price reasons only...)

Two-Wheeled did a great job and I would certainly return there in the future.

Dave,
AKA...Silver Strom

#20 ·
I ended up doing the whole first service myself as I am not a huge fan of the local dealer here, (well, the mechanic anyway). I took pictures & made sure that my work was documented. You do not have to have any service done at the dealer but they won't tell you that. For what it's worth, from a warrenty point of view, I suppose the dealer "stamp" is preferable but as I said not neccessary.

#23 ·
The 3 year warranty has been a promotion at different times.

When I got my Strom it was an "incentive" from the factory.. (that or I think low interest financing.) A month or two later it was gone and there was more discount available. It sounds like it is on again.

The base factory warranty is 1 year and I believe the extra two years are in a service contract underwritten by a third party and offered by Suzuki. Being in the car business for over 25 years I have little faith in any third party warranty extensions.

..Tom

#24 · (Edited)
Suzuki Canada had a promotion going where you could choose 6.8% financing for 60 months or 500 Suzuki Bucks. If you chose the Suzuki bucks there was a catch, you had to use them at the dealer who sold you the bike and could only buy accessories. Since my dealer gives me 10% off everything for 1 year because I bought the bike from him, using the Suzuki Bucks seemed like a bad idea. If you chose not to finance or take the Suzuki Bucks a third option became available. That option was a 3 year Suzuki Protection Plan. This is administered by Suzuki Canada and involves no third party. I believe the promotion was supposed to end at the end of April/07 but was extended until the end of May/07. I bought my bike in mid May. When All was said and done I got my 650 for $8200 + tax with a 3year warranty, which to me seemed like a very good deal.

SS

#31 ·
I stand corrected.

..Tom

.. That option was a 3 year Suzuki Protection Plan. This is administered by Suzuki Canada and involves no third party.
SS

#25 ·
+1 on what silverstrom said. It's a 3 year Suzuki warranty.

#26 ·
Hey Silver Strom, I'm just curious, but where is Hillsburgh?

SS

#27 ·
Hillsburgh....??

Well, It's north of Georgetown...southwest of Orangeville...

Don't sneeze or you'll miss it!

I don't think the population is more than 1000, yet there's another Strom owner in town (Double D...who I haven't hooked up with yet, but will soon, I'm sure...). Small World!

I'm riding up to Gravenhurst on Thursday to visit my folks and then on to my cottage near Barry's Bay on Friday. Monday morning I'm heading south thru' your neck of the woods and taking the 401 west to work in Mississauga....

#29 ·
If you know you're going to be in Belleville area some time send me a PM and if you 'd like we could hook up for a coffee on your way through.

SS

#28 ·
Here's a positive story from me...

The Suzuki dealer in St. John's, Newfoundland is a mom and pop outfit called 'ARGO Sales'.

When I put money down on my 07 DL650, in the middle of the winter, part of the deal I negotiated was a free OEM topbox and back rest, to be installed by the dealership. A few weeks after making the deal, I decided I wanted a set of OEM handguards, too. So I ordered them, and fully expected to have to pay for them and install them myself.

When I took delivery of the bike, the topbox and backrest were properly installed, and so were the hanguards. When I reminded the owner/sales-rep that I owed him for the handguards, he simplty said..."no charge".

It's little things like that which go a long way to making a customer loyal.

#34 ·
I bought mine from Dan in newmarket as well. 05 used. He was good to deal with, but the numbers he quoted me for the safety and admin went up when it was actually time to pay for the bike. Wasn't very pleased about that.
Always, always, always negotiate your out the door price before anything is signed and stick to it like glue. Don't be afraid to walk out. I spent 2 hrs haggling with them. Got the whole gamut of sales techniques, salesman, salesman to the office and returns with counter offer, I hold firm. Salesman returns to manager's office and comes back , no deal. New man to deal with, assistant sales manager. Then the old look we aren't making any money on this, this is how much we paid for the bike blah blah blah. I should mention I was trading in a mint 03 1100 V Star with 10500 kms. Anyhow after much back and forth I went up a little and they came down a lot. I found out they would not budge on that #%*!ing admin charge they all like to throw in now. Another slimy sales thing I didn't appreciate was that they advertised in Bike Trader and said "no freight charge". So I think bonus I'll save the freight. Well Dan says the freight is only $25.00 and the rest of the $325.00 is pdi. I didn't really care what they charged I was only thinking and negotiating on the difference I would have to pay. It ended up I had to put in $3200.00.

I found their service people very nice, and the young mechanic came out and talked to me. I did not let on that I was a mechanic as well and he didn't try any bs foofoo valve stuff with me. They did however charge me for 4 litres of oil and I was not given the remainder, and 410 ml of brake cleaner (what did he unload more than half a can on the bike?). When I got the bike back the tank was full of hand marks since they had to take the tank off to replace a broken fuel gauge sending unit. It should be returned to the customer in the same state or better. This is also a Suzuki auto dealer so they have full wash bay and jockeys for that.
They do not have a Yosh box and therefore were unable to help with the lean idle low speed circuits. He did say if it keeps up they'll do a TBS and if it still does it they'll replace the ECM. I am just going to buy a PCIII and be done with it. But the condition it is documented in their database.

#35 ·
Actually, I was correct the first time, but it might not make a difference to most of you. From Suzuki's web site:

"Coverage in years 2 and 3 differs from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage provided from Year 1. Suzuki Protection Plan provides mechanical and electrical coverage on your eligible motorcycle or ATV and
begins immediately after your Suzuki New Vehicle Warranty period expires. Suzuki Protection Plan is easily transferable should you decide to sell your motorcycle or ATV at no additional cost. The Suzuki Protection Plan is underwritten by Motors Insurance Corporation."

Notice the last line.. the extra warranty is an insurance contract underwritten by a third party.

..Tom

#37 ·
Thanks for the clarification V-Tom .Funny how it doesn't mention that on the actual Suzuki Protection Plan paperwork. I just looked at mine and it is all pretty basic stuff intended to make one feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Go figure that the fine print says something else :eek: As long as any warranty work needed actually gets done, I suppose it really doesn't matter. Well, at least the warranty was free :)

SS

#42 ·
Motor Sports World is a great place to buy accessories. They deal with Twisted Throttle and can get you stuff much cheaper than ordering it yourself. I ordered a skidplate and rad guard made by SW Motech and saved quite a bit. I'm very pleased with their parts service :D

SS

#46 ·
Ultimate Suzuki Of London

I am in Ontario and deal with Ultimate Suzuki Of London. I have always been treated more than good with this dealer. Have bought 2 bikes from them in the past (HAYABUSA and V STROM) and will purchace another this year in March. I buy most of my gear from them as well parts person John goes out of his way to find what i want and keeps me happy.:-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.