StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 2006 Wee in November and was not provided any service or maintenance records. Was thinking about taking it in to a nearby Suzuki dealer to have a full tune and service performed; including throttle body and throttle position sensor sync and adjust. Figured after that I could begin the regular maintenance myself (with a little help from friends). What is a fair price for this? They have quoted me right around $400 including labor, parts, a fees.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention I bought the bike with approx. 5,100 miles on it and am now just over 6,000 or so (winter here in Denver but I ride when I can). Thanks again!

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
They have quoted me right around $400 including labor, parts, a fees.

Thanks for any input!
sounds about right if it includes a valve inspection, but yer not due for that till 15k

if its doesn't include valve inspection, then the price is a bit high, but I don't know what the going rate for labor is in your neck of the woods, if the local rate is $125/hr, the price is about right

fees? do they charge for disposing the drain oil they prolly sell to a recycler ?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are running a 20% labor discount for January. Regular labor rate is $97/hour. Looks like parts amount to $85 (air filter, oil filter, gasket, oil, etc.). Labor includes full tune and service; including throttle body adjust/sync and throttle position sensor adjust but not valves as far as I understand? Labor amounts to about $292 at around $77 or so per hour. Charge $20 for shop supplies, etc. Grand total right around $400.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would change the oil and oil filter. I might change the air filter since you do not know where/how it was ridden. Spark plugs could wait, but even the plugs are kinda easy.

TB sync would be done at 15,000 miles with the valves. TPS is easy to check the setting on by putting bike in dealer/diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The TPS adjust is easy? Does it require any specific tools? I have never put the bike into dealer mode so I am unsure how to go about this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How often does everyone flush and replace brake fluid and engine coolant? Do you usually just top it off when needed? Just want to start doing all this myself because I can't afford to be taking it to a dealer!:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
If your bike is running fine and with that low mileage I would say it only needs fluid changes, engine oil/filter, coolant and brake fluid. Regular chain maintenance of course and air cleaner service and plugs every 8000 miles or so I can't recall. Inspect the brake pads with each tire change or sooner like before a big trip for example, my rear (stock) averages around 6k before replacement. I had the dealer do the throttle body sync at the time of valve check/adjustment, 14,500 miles. He charged $288.
You need to get a handbook to see what maintenance is due when and a manual is a must if you are doing it yourself.
Part of early maintenance also includes making sure all bolts are tight.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Offer some pizza to other Denver stromtroopers to have a maintenance day at your place--or someone else's place and you buy the pizza. Everything you list is easy, and you can do it once you're shown the ropes.

With that age & mileage, I'd just change the oil & filter, drain & refill the coolant, and flush the brake fluid. Coolant and brake fluid are two year fluids unless you get five year coolant (different corrosion inhibitors). Lube the chain and check it's adjustment. Take a close look at the tires and valve stems looking for cracks. At six years you should be OK, but take nothing for granted. If the bike is running well, there is no need to fiddle with the throttle stuff.

Buy an owner's manual from the dealership parts counter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only issue I have noticed is a bit of a jerky ride around 4,000 to 4,500 RPMs when maintaining a constant throttle. I posted a thread about this "Uneven Throttle at 4,000 RPMs" and received a number of responses sugesting a TBS and TPS adjust. I have checked and adjusted the chain and all seems good there.

One member suggested the following and it actually seemed to help a bit..."I have K7, purchased Feb 10 with 5k miles. Noticed same prob. Dlr advises using a pgm in his laptop to fiddle with the TPS adjustment, basically to get to be less sensitive/reactive. Another rider, SV-650, advised waiting at least 1 min with ignition on before starting engine. This wait, "stabilizes" the TPS and the system as the throttle grip is not moved".

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Search to find the dealer mode procedure. The one already here is much better than what I could come up with. It takes only a few minutes to check.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
For the TPS, look at reply #7 on this link:
Checking TPS question
The job is done with the engine running warm and the tank propped up.

The tool required is a T25 torx security bit with the hole in the center. The adjustment is very fiddly--half a hair this way, oops, too far, back a bit, oops too far, etc.

It is money very well spent to buy subscriptions in both stromtrooper and v-strom riders international. Searching in one or both has just about every maintenance job you'll need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts