StromTrooper banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I don't bother balancing tires anymore. Mount them with the the stem lined up to the mark on the tire and they run smooth.

Maybe tire manufacturing has improved to produced a very consistent product. Don't know but balancing doesn't seem necessary anymore to me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't bother balancing tires anymore. Mount them with the the stem lined up to the mark on the tire and they run smooth.

Maybe tire manufacturing has improved to produced a very consistent product. Don't know but balancing doesn't seem necessary anymore to me.
I just mounted a set of 804/5’s today
I could not find any markings for heavy spot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Just put in some balance beads and you will be fine.
I used to use beads, switched to Ride-On for puncture protection but was out and needed a tire ASAP.

I didn't notice any difference in ride quality without balancing, no unusual wear either. That's been years ago and a dozen or so tires.

I always wondered about a string type puncture repair with beads in the tire. Seemed to me that they would form a good size clump and might throw off the balance? Never had the opportunity to test that theory!

I did use Ride-On for awhile but besides being expensive it only "protects" the very center of the tire. Less than a 2" wide strip. Good for a puncture dead center!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

I've done it this way for many years and it's always ok, however I had this last set of tires mounted and balanced at my local dealer and it does seem a bit smoother.
Could also be the Bridgestone A41s are more street oriented than the Metzler Karoo Street, which had a more blocky tread.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
354 Posts
I don't think that's a lot of weight; some of my chunkier tires, like the 705's, have needed that much.

As for making the dealership do it, for me, it's a question of hassle. Yes, I could take the tire off and take it back to the dealer, or ride the bike there and drop it off and either wait for it to be done or come back later to pick the bike up. All of these things involve my time; even if the dealer did it for free, it's still my time (and maybe the time of the person I have to corral into giving me a ride to and from the dealer when I drop the bike off). In my case, the nearest shop is about 50 minutes away from me. Might be a two day process, if they can't get to it right away.

Or, I can go to my garage, get my tape, fix my weights, and be done with it. If I'm out of tape, it'll take longer; the hardware store is about seven miles from my house. It's always a satisfying moment to demand that a dealership fix something they messed up, and I would do that if it was something more critical or expensive, but for wheel weights? Naaa. I wouldn't waste a couple hours (or days) of time just to prove a point that minor. I might call the service manager on the phone and complain about it, though.
That of course assumes the tire was balanced correctly in the first place.

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 for Ride-On. Put it in, tires balance in a couple miles. Ran it two yrs, did not harden. Cleans up nicely. No messy rim or gooey crap flowing out on tire change.

I don't use it for puncture protection, but tested on center of tire (while practicing with rope kit) and it oozed into the hole as expected. Didn't spin it up, or wait to see if it would perform as promised. But it did quickly stop air blowing out.

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the exact same problem this past Sept. Dealer replaced the rear tire and dynamic balanced the wheel. Because I replaced the chain and sprockets myself, I took only the wheel to the dealer and I cleaned it very proficiently before going there. When I installed the rear wheel and went on my first ride I found several of those 1/4oz rectangle weights laying on my garage floor. Went back to the dealer, they claimed that the wheel may not have been cleaned properly before installation (bs as I cleaned the wheel). They did correct the problem at no charge. Because other riders had this same issue I wonder if there is a manufacturing problem with these weights. Don't know the brand name.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had the exact same problem this past Sept. Dealer replaced the rear tire and dynamic balanced the wheel. Because I replaced the chain and sprockets myself, I took only the wheel to the dealer and I cleaned it very proficiently before going there. When I installed the rear wheel and went on my first ride I found several of those 1/4oz rectangle weights laying on my garage floor. Went back to the dealer, they claimed that the wheel may not have been cleaned properly before installation (bs as I cleaned the wheel). They did correct the problem at no charge. Because other riders had this same issue I wonder if there is a manufacturing problem with these weights. Don't know the brand name.
I use the motion pro weights
Cleaned wheel with alcohol
Zero issues
This is a lazy dealer issue and or cheap wheel weights
I tried weights from harbor freight once and they came off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts