StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Went to ride this evening, and something fell while I was rolling my 2013 650 towards the street.

Found the string of weights behind my bike. Luckily, it did not happen while riding. I thought I did the right thing by going to the Suzuki dealer. They were done on 9/22/2020. Oh well.....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Had a dealer neglect to balance the new back tyres (yes two, one after the other) on my wife's bike a couple of years ago. In both cases it wore one side of the tyre through to nothing while the other side (think front and back, not left and right) was barely worn. Cost me two tyres. Turns out he's a dirt bike guy and thinks tyres don't need balancing because they just slip around on the rims and throw the balance out. Note: on a road bike this is utter garbage! A tyre with 30+ psi in it does NOT slip on the rim without SEVERE provocation. If you're running a dirt bike with 12psi in them, THEN you have a discussion point (and the reason some dirt bikes run rim locks) but not on a 250cc road bike. Watch out for that, those guys are out there.
I had a quiet discussion with the dealer management, no names named, just making sure the next new tyre was going to be properly balanced and they took it that I meant it was their shop. I did, but I didn't SAY it or deliberately insinuate it. They had something to say to their head mechanic about having balance weights. The new tyre was properly balanced.

Reactions: Heisok

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dark Angel and JoeHall,

Thanks for the information. It looks like they did not clean the rim. I am tempted to glue the weights back on, but will let them do it, and check other weights.

Is this type of weight attachment reliable? Seams like a form of thick double adhesive strip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dark Angel and JoeHall,

Thanks for the information. It looks like they did not clean the rim. I am tempted to glue the weights back on, but will let them do it, and check other weights.

Is this type of weight attachment reliable? Seams like a form of thick double adhesive strip.
Yes, normally reliable to last till replaced at the next tire change. But must be stuck onto a clean surface. Odds are, your shop either used an inferior product or, more likely, did not clean the surface. "Time is money", so too much rush to finish and move on to the next job?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I glue on my wheel weights with 3M outdoor mounting tape. They sell it in hardware stores. It's a gray rubbery looking tape with a red protective backing. I've never had a wheel weight come loose when I used it, and it comes off a lot easier than the foam style two sided mounting tape. I clean the rim with either mineral spirits or laquer thinner (whichever I have on hand at the time) before I attach the weights.

I wouldn't pay a shop to reattach wheel weights, especially if they were the ones who put them on in the first place. If you can tell where they were at on the rim, just clean the backs of the weights, clean the rim, and stick them back on with that 3M tape.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I wouldn't pay a shop to reattach wheel weights...
I wouldn't pay them either. I would insist that they do the job over, and properly. That looks like a lot of weight for a bike tire.

I recently had tires mounted and balanced at my local dealer. (For the first time in 40+ years I finally had to admit I am too old and feeble to wrestle with them.) They did a great job for a reasonable price. $22 for the front and $15 for the rear, (as I already had the rear halfway on before I gave up). The weights are still on after 2000 miles, including a 1500 mile trip around SW Colorado.

Reactions: Heisok

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I don't think that's a lot of weight; some of my chunkier tires, like the 705's, have needed that much.

As for making the dealership do it, for me, it's a question of hassle. Yes, I could take the tire off and take it back to the dealer, or ride the bike there and drop it off and either wait for it to be done or come back later to pick the bike up. All of these things involve my time; even if the dealer did it for free, it's still my time (and maybe the time of the person I have to corral into giving me a ride to and from the dealer when I drop the bike off). In my case, the nearest shop is about 50 minutes away from me. Might be a two day process, if they can't get to it right away.

Or, I can go to my garage, get my tape, fix my weights, and be done with it. If I'm out of tape, it'll take longer; the hardware store is about seven miles from my house. It's always a satisfying moment to demand that a dealership fix something they messed up, and I would do that if it was something more critical or expensive, but for wheel weights? Naaa. I wouldn't waste a couple hours (or days) of time just to prove a point that minor. I might call the service manager on the phone and complain about it, though.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That's reasonable, RC. My dealer is only 7 miles away, but I didn't think about the hassle of taking the wheel off- good point there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree about doing it myself. The 3M mounting tape would be wise.

Between the front and back, there are 9 more weights. I am going to ask them to check all. If they were careless with these, then I suspect each of the others might fall off. I will give a good look before going. Luckily it is only 3 miles. I will walk home, and get a ride to pick the bike up.

Big hassle, with no satisfaction. Mistakes happen, but I will not let them touch the bike for anything beyond the weights. They said they sell a lot of tires. That begs the question about Kawasaki and Suzuki fast sport bikes, and flying wheel weights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does the dealer balance the newly mounted tire in a dynamic machine that spins the tire up to speed? Or just a static balancer with a "good" bubble level?

Dynamic balancing is better than static balancing is better than nothing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wheels are always dirty I’ve had this happen once and never again. Ever since I have been using balance beads in all my bikes no weights to fall off

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.

Balance beads seem like a great solution for those who mount their own tires.

The dealer took care of the front wheel right away this morning. Their latest weights came rectangular shaped. (They are sending them back)The orientation on the strips of adhesive is that the long side is such that they mount outward. This caused them to not completely adhere as the rim on my 2013 650 is narrower than the weights. Dirt can get under. They cut the new weights off the adhesive, and now the short side points out giving them plenty of room for the weight to adhere.

Part of the issue, I am sure. Not being born yesterday, it is obvious they still did not clean the front surface well enough. The dirt pattern on the adhesive is too uniform. Two weights on the end are dirtier. That was likely the first release point.

I am happy, but will not use that dealer for anything.

·
Registered
854 Posts
+1 on the balance beads. they can't come off when you hit a pot hole, lead weights can. as the tire wears you may need it rebalanced, the beads take care of that until the tire is worn out and replaced. best thing since round wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Have not used weights in 4+ years 4 tire set changes. I squirt the proper amount of Ride-on in the tire and ride.......no issues.

It's not cheap....post Covid - $13 ish a tire, but you also get some puncture protection.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Funny thing happened to with those weights. I had my tires changed by the dealer and afterward, I had a front wheel "hop". I went to take the bike back in, and as I was backing it out of the garage, I noticed 4 black adhesive weights laying on the floor. Hmmm. I headed out on the bike and no more hop! The bike felt fine.
Apparently they failed in balancing my tires, but also failed to clean the rim. In this case, 2 wrongs made a right, but I won't be going back there anytime soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since the ride-on works well on motorcycle tires, I will use their bicycle specific product on my next Mountain Bike tire change.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Good luck with that ride on stuff. I tried it in both tires on my previous bike. It worked for 6 - 7 months then got stiff and stayed in one spot. I had to remove the tires and scrape it out. cleaned everything up and tried the magic beads and they work fine for me. almost 3 years now and the beads are perfect. I also use them in wifey's car and my pick up.

P J chemicals used to have a liquid balance fluid and after a while they dropped it because of customer complaints.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts