StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can go to almost any store on the web these days and if I order a minimum amount, I can have free shipping anywhere in the US. Like a set of tires. Free Shipping. A GoPro camera.. free.. a motorcycle battery.. also free.. Virtually any motorcycle part can be bought with free shipping, provided the amount is sufficient.

So why does it suddenly cost $800 when you order a $12k complete motorcycle? Shouldn't that be free as well?

I order stuff from Hong Kong all the time because it costs 1/10th the amount, and it also ships free directly to my house. So what if I have to wait 3 weeks to get it. If it doesn't show up, I get my money back.

Why can't I order a motorcycle from Suzuki corporate, and have it shipped to my house for free?

I understand the dealer prep thing. That makes a bit of sense to me in some ways, but someone like myself, who can do basic wrenching, knows that blue Loctite is, and has a set of sockets handy, would be able to do the Dealer prep part easy enough. It would even be FUN IMO. Imagine a crate arrives at your house one day.. OMG.. what a blast..

Why not...

I think everyone just gets used to paying this extra fee, and they don't think to argue about it anymore.

Curious.. for those who have ordered a new V2.. what did the dealer tell you were the "extra" fees? Dealer Prep, Freight, Documentation Fee, Tire recycle fees?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Buy a Chinese bike and you'll get your wish. I don't know if this is with cars or bikes but I thought I had heard that the manufacturer would reimburse the dealership for the set up fee.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Sport Cycle in Rockingham NC waive freight and set up. Call Keith, not sure what issues you would face taking it back into Canada though.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Don't worry about freight, prep, and other fees. ALL that matters is the amount you write the check for.

As for dealer prep, that is a laughing matter at best. My 650 had 22 lbs of air in the front tire when they said it was ready to go. I looked the bike over for loose stuff before I left and then checked it out at home.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Suzuki relies on their dealer network to make sure its done right. It it always done right? No.

All of that should be a negotiable item when purchasing the the bike. I just bought a 2013 650 Adventure, still in the crate. My dealer charged $150 setup and no freight.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The dealer gets reimbursed from the manufacturer for setup fees. Most will show this on the invoice, but will back it out of the final cost. Like I said, "most" dealers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
899 Posts
I picked up a full-line Suzuki color brochure at the bike show, and have since recycled it. That brochure heavily features the new vee2 plus accessories. I distinctly remember footnotes on that brochure that spell out exactly how much freight and PDI would cost for each model. Someone who still has that brochure should have a look.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Dealer prep......now that's funny.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Like others have said...only the closing price counts.
When I do it I figure what I want to pay, maybe allow a couple hundred bucks for set up, calculate the tax and make the offer.
If they don't bite...walk...simple

·
Registered
899 Posts
I only deal on 'price out of the door' basis now. I got burned on a used motorcycle a few years ago, when the dealer tacked on a $250 "document" fee. Lesson learned.

In response to the OP, I've been trying to remember what the quoted prices were in the Suzuki Canada brochure, but I think it was something like $365 for PDI for the naked vee2.

Keep in mind that the SE version is not a 'real' factory model in Canada. The dealer will install side bags, hand protectors and center stand out of stock accessory parts for $1000. But I bet that the extra markup on PDI comes from the time to install the SE extras.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Freight and PDI are labor and not part of the MSRP. When leasing a vehicle the residual value is based on the price without the freight and PDI. It is all part of the total vehicle purchase price but is separated. Dealers can charge any documentation fee they like as long as it is part of the negotiation and not added on after. I think we all know if manufactures offered in home set up for new vehicle when something went wrong there would be law suits.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
If I were a manufacturer and expected to provide warranty for a bike I would want it checked over by a dealer before it was delivered, not an owner who considers himself handy with a wrench.
Probably also a liability factor since tht always seems to be an issue with pretty much everything these days.

·
Registered
865 Posts
what exactly does the dealer prep on the v2. I know they have to mount the front wheel. what else has to be assembled/touched?
I'd guess the mirrors and possible the screen, but haven't seen one in a crate so it's only a guess.

Plus, they have to prepare the invoice for doing the preparation :mrgreen:

·
Registered
27 Posts
what exactly does the dealer prep on the v2. I know they have to mount the front wheel. what else has to be assembled/touched?
In the crate the handlebars are laying off to the side. Everything was connected to the bars except the mirrors, and the screen was off also. They also charged the battery but I missed to see if it was already installed from the factory. And if it's an Adventure model then the dealer has to install those extras that came in a separate box.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Washington State law RCW 46.70.180
"an amount not to exceed one hundred fifty dollars per vehicle sale or lease may be charged by a dealer to recover administrative costs for collecting motor vehicle excise taxes, licensing and registration fees"...blah, blah, blah

... The dealer discloses to the purchaser or lessee in writing that the documentary service fee is a negotiable fee

RCW 46.70.180: Unlawful acts and practices.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Not sure the the fees are at Cities Edge here in MN. I asked the sales lady but she kinda hmmd and haaad around the question a bit. But they have 2 new Vstroms in red and khaki for $10,599.00. Through the end of the month.

They have one blue 2013 650 for $6399.00 also.

Just a heads up for you peeps...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just did a deal with Harding's Park Cycle in Canton ,OH. Told me that they never charge a prep fee or shipping. Just a $250.00 doc fee. I was pretty happy about that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts