StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm 20 and plan on buying the DL650 as a first bike... and the guy I went and quoted a price on told me that it would be $7380 OTD. The question is... does that seem a little high? I was hoping to get it around the MSRP price OTD. Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's a tick high. Keep after it, you'll get him to go lower. Just be ready to sign when he says yes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for your reply... what do you think would be a reasonable price to settle on... $7000?
That's what I paid for my 2007 DL1000. (within $100)

First, find out the exact cost of state taxes and fees. Published MSRP for a 2008 DL650 is $6699. I think that is supposed to include dealer prep and shipping. Of course, it doesn't include state taxes and fees.

Call every dealer in your area that is close enough to pick up the bike from. Ask for the out-the-door price, including all fees and taxes, for the exact bike you want. Get at least 5 prices. You may have to call them back several times to get a price. I was quoted prices from $8500 to $7000 on the DL1000. Motorcycle dealers are notorious for charging whatever they want and not calling back.

Dealers make money on parts and service, even warrantee service. If a dealer gives you a hard time about buying the bike elsewhere, don't go back.

·
0 Posts
My suggestion is to offer him the price you want to pay(but please make it reasonable) and see what he says.

If he says no, thank him, shake his hand, and walk away.

Then call him the next day and ask if he'll reconsider.

If he still says no...wait a week and call him again.

Be persistant...but be nice...and like what was said before, be prepared to buy the bike if he says yes.

I'm just sayin...

Good Luck!!

BTD.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for your reply... what do you think would be a reasonable price to settle on... $7000?
I really can't rail against a dealer for trying to make a buck, but I've found that if you offer them list, OTD plus a hunnert bucks, they'll usually bite.

BTD's advice is sound, too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
One problem... you're 20. This is a dorky old man's bike! Shouldn't you be buying an R6 or a GSXR? :lol:

Kidding, of course... :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Find out what the invoice price is - which I think is in the $5900 range. Offer him that plus $100. Contained within invoice is also a dealer hold back provision, meaning he gets some of that paid back to him from the manufacturer as a profit later in the year. Don't pay any prep/delivery or paperwork fees. In this case, OTD would be whatever you offer plus sales tax if any plus licensing. If the offer isn't accepted, thank him leave him your phone number, and drive to the next place. Feel free to talk to the sales manager directly - you don't need a salesman that gets commission if you already sold yourself on the bike.

OTD is a little decieving on a forum like this, because taxes and fees vary state to state. I might buy a bike at $6600 here and get a good deal - you might pay the same amount and be getting the short end of the stick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One problem... you're 20. This is a dorky old man's bike! Shouldn't you be buying an R6 or a GSXR? :lol:

Kidding, of course... :D
C'mon I got mine when I was 17. You know some of us younger people do make sensible choices every once in a while. Anyway I believe fastwally carries a quote that says"its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

Ok back to the topic I was able to get mine for exactly MSRP. I talked to one sales rep and was just very nice about everything. I think that if you stick with the same person you will be able to get him talked down quicker.

Best of luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to get on a high horse. But I work at a dealership that sells new Suzukis.

Due to market conditions Suzuki tried to plan for what they expected to be a very slow year and actually cut dealer 2008 model year. For example we ordered 6 - DL650s and Suzuki only gave us 3.

We are now completley sold-out and most, if not all dealers in OR & WA, are also sold out.

With that in mind, you may jump at any opportunity to get a Strom right now. If the dealer is asking MSRP plus a reasonable set-up and freight charge they amy not go down. It's simply a supply and demand thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got a call back from another dealer and he offered $6864 OTD .... a $500 difference.... my approach was different cuz i asked for a quote online and explained how they are competing with a handful of other dealers... i got a call a day later asking if i was still interested and he told me that number...

only thing that sucks is idk if i should go ahead and buy it or wait to get the motorcycle classes... i still dont have my license... but plan to get it within the next couple weeks

oh btw... do you really think the vstrom is JUST an old mans bike? ha

i kinda like it for some reason... idk why... even though i am 20

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Got your permit, yet?

Have you ever ridden a bike on the road?
Do you know a 'seasoned' cyclist to provide you with guidance?
Do you think that there may be a possibility that you won't want to buy a bike after you take the class?
There are plenty of opportunities for practice sessions both prior to and after you take the class and get licensed. I'd guess that your state allows you limited riding on a learners permit, don't they?

If you have any doubts about riding it, then wait.

Otherwise, get the bike, get some good gear (eg. not tennis shoes/flip flops and tee shirt) boots, a good jacket, and a great helmet--AT THE VERY MINIMUM.
Get some GOOD advice and practice, deserted parking lots in the evening are great to practice the slow speed stuff, braking, etc.

You're never too young to be reasonable...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take the class first. If you decide during the class you don't want to start riding, which at least one person in my class did, then you won't be out the $7,000.

You also might want to consider starting on a used and/or smaller bike until you get more experience. Opinions differ on that subject, but that is what I did and I think it was the best route for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Glad I saw this thread!
I live in the L.A. area and the dealer closest to me is asking a grand more than msrp for the DL650 in frieght and set up. I asked if this was something new since I'd been on the lot many times in the last year and this was the first time I'd seen such a thing posted on any of the bikes.
I called another dealer who's about twenty miles away f/ me and he told me that this was usual policy. Strnge thing is that I've owned two Yamaha scooters and no mention was ever made of added fees, msrp+ state and local taxes.
I'm thinking of waiting til the end of the year to see if anything changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts